The Rio Ferdinand affair

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,173
8 months.. £50,000..

After all the discussions previously, we now know the outcome of it. What does everyone think about it?

Too long? Not long enough?
Was it worth fining him?
Is he vital for England in Euro 2004 or won't be noticed?
Is he vital for Manchester Uniteds title aspirations?

Let's argue :)
 

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,695
My personal view is that it was harsh but deserved. Being a West Ham fan I know of Mr Ferdinands past misdemeanours which are quickly forgotten by many, in my mind he is a top profile footballer now and should start acting like one.
 

Tom

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
15,991
Its a load of bollocks really, the FA are running around like headless chickens. They just make things up as they go along. Didn't a Man City player get fined earlier this year for the same offence? Wasn't that fine about £2 000, and no ban?

Personally I hope it drags on and on, mud sticks, and the FA won't like that.
 

Embattle

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
9,689
This does seem harsh considering previous fines etc but I think you'll find that the FA have had enough of handing out pathetic bans and fines...so imo this is how it always should of been.
 

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
32
He's lucky the FA doesnt ascribe to the same strictures as athletes or he wouldn't be playing again for quite some time.
 

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
578
Jonaldo said:
8 months.. £50,000..

After all the discussions previously, we now know the outcome of it. What does everyone think about it?

Too long? Not long enough?
Was it worth fining him?
Is he vital for England in Euro 2004 or won't be noticed?
Is he vital for Manchester Uniteds title aspirations?

Let's argue :)
Too long given that players have tested positive before and had less of a punishment. A fact continuously overlooked by Sepp Blatter when he is on his soap box. Funny he never had that soap box going in Italy

Fine is punitive

Wont be noticed for Ingerlund. England will not reach the final

As a UTD fan I think he will be missed as. The ideal replacement is Wes Brown who has a tendency to lose concentration more than Rio. That in itslef is bad news
 

Scouse

Job-worshipper and all round follower of cunts.
FH Subscriber
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
27,758
the fact of the matter is if it'd have been almost any other sport it would have been treated as a failure of the test, rather than just a fail to attend.

That's 2 year mandatory ban tbh.



I think 8 months is harsh on Rio as it's the first of it's kind - but if the FA is going to have a sensible anti-drugs policy the first case of it's kind is going to seem harsh.

After that people will realise that there's no excuse for not turning up to a drugs test.

Simple eh?
 

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
500
Scouse said:
the fact of the matter is if it'd have been almost any other sport it would have been treated as a failure of the test, rather than just a fail to attend.
It doesn't matter what would happen in other sports, the important factor is precedent. Negouai got a £20,000 fine for exactly the same offence yet Ferdinand has been given £50,000 and 8 months, this will be appealed and it won't surprise me if it's at the very least reduced.
 

Shovel

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,350
I think, that overlooking the past unenforcement, and the decidedly lax European punishments for the offense, that this sounds about right. It's a professional sport, you bloody well act like a professional. Footballers tart around, and "ooh, sorry I forgot that I was moving house that day" really wont - and shouldn't - stick it. Yes, there has been lax enforcement in the past, but so long as it's consistant from this point on, it should be a step toward making the sport of Football, and it's participants, a better game.
I mean, you wouldn't catch Jonny Wilkinson missing a drugs test... ;)

-- And yes, I too would piss myself laughing if it gets increased on appeal. I'd love to see the look on Fergie's face. And watching the Red Tops screaming like spoilt children is always good for a cheap laugh.
 
D

Dev

Guest
xane said:
My personal view is that it was harsh but deserved. Being a West Ham fan I know of Mr Ferdinands past misdemeanours which are quickly forgotten by many, in my mind he is a top profile footballer now and should start acting like one.
As I am another hammer I am glad he helped rebuild another stand...but that is where it ends for me.

Xane I hope you visit here
 

Nott

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
143
They have to start somewhere, and its about time if you ask me. 8 months is to little for this, but seeing that other offenders before have gotten ridiculously low penalties it sounds about right to make first example at 8 months.

Next one should be 2 years or so.
 

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
Jonaldo said:
Is he vital for England in Euro 2004 or won't be noticed?
Depends on Terry and Campbell keeping fit and on Woodgate getting back to form. Think Terry has been very accomplished the last few times he's been played in the England team.

As for the ban - Totally deserved what he got. Any other sport e.t.c....

Having said that, I think the FA should now go public and say that any player missing or failing a test will get a ban of x months and a fine of £x. There have to be un-ambiguous and clearly defined laws on this sort of thing.
 

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
113
tbh this makes the whole Ferdinand affair look pathetic

£4,420 fine + 1 year ban for failing drugs test

vs

£50,000 + 8 month ban for missing drugs test
 

Nott

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
143
Miles_Binck said:
tbh this makes the whole Ferdinand affair look pathetic

£4,420 fine + 1 year ban for failing drugs test

vs

£50,000 + 8 month ban for missing drugs test
Missing = Failing.
So what you tell us is that Ferdinand got 4 months off for £45,580 which btw is pocketchange for him anyway. :)

Gurnox said:
Having said that, I think the FA should now go public and say that any player missing or failing a test will get a ban of x months and a fine of £x. There have to be un-ambiguous and clearly defined laws on this sort of thing.
Excactly imo. Just extend it to Fifa so it will be equal in other contries to. The fine might have to differ abit though.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom