The Ring

L

Lester

I watched it last night and thought it was pretty good.

And Naomi Watts should be in the shaggable babes thread tbh.

And no I haven't seen the original and yes I probably will, but repsec' to eca and ono and cage etc but I can't watch foreign fimls unless they're REALLY REALLY REALLY highly recommended. I have to watch enough American and English shit 1st. :(

L

Lester

I have watched Seven Samurai which I thought was o.k. (you are probably gonna tell me it's the Eastern equivalant of Lethal Weapon, populist nonsense and not culturally valuable, and I should go and watch more obscure stuff to be more "enlightenened")

err or not. Sorry I'm projecting.

S

stu

No, Seven Samurai is the Eastern equivalent of the Magnificent Seven.

Or, more accurately, vice versa :)

Yojimbo is good.

L

Lester

Don't you mean Fistful Of Dollars?

Or Last Man Standing.

See I can show off too. :p

N

nath

A bugs life is a remake of Seven Samurai too.. Kinda

S

stu

Last Man Standing is fucking dreadful.

Dollars is a classic. In fact I'm going to go finish watch The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly right now.

L

Lester

I'm sure someone's edited something here? Am I going mad?

S

slapmesilly..

am I the only one that found the US version better?
The story was way more detailed and had more depth to it..
I mean, in the japanese/chinese version this guy touches the father and suddenly knows everuthing that happened..?! I'm sorry but that's just downright lazy behaviour of the storywriters..

"mmh.. now how should we lead the characters deeper in the story? ow! I know, lets make him semi-psychic and let him figure out the entire history of Samara with 1 touch of a hand!"

jeez, at least in the american version you had the horses, then the doctor told "she didn't like the barn" and the father told "she couldnt sleep with the noise" after which they went to the barn, found out why they said it, found the drawing of the tree and had a reason to head back to the lodge.

In the japanese version they just GO there all of a sudden, without a real reason...

They may have altered the story in the US version, but they definetly altered it for the better.

+the whole mood and music in the chinese version misses something, it has no real feel to it....

The US version just makes more sense.

M

Moving Target

There is no Chinese version. Your comment is not valid.

L

Lester

I thought the original version was better. The transposing of the word Chinese for Japanese was an interesting plot development , although it was lazy on the writers part. The new version does make more sense, what with it being correct and all, but I like the suspense and general poorly researched feel to the first. By editing his original post Slapmesilly has made us look again and rethink our opinion. I look forward to "Post 2"

S

shadow`

Have I seen the same movie as you people?

What a load of fucking bollocks

E

ECA

slapmesilly is still talking bollocks.

the jap version was miles better, and as for it making sense, sorry, but get a clue?

go watch perfect blue for a movie with a confusing number of plot twists lol.

You dont know whats real and whats not for the last 30 mins of that film.

Y

Yaka

wierdest jap film of late must be Dead or Alive has the best intro amovie could ever have and all the bad things that some movies avoid and the ending is fuking hilarious, copper pulls out a massive rocket luancher and the bad guy does a ryu/ken type fire ball *cue* the planet blowing up

T

Tom

Originally posted by ECA
slapmesilly is still talking bollocks.

the jap version was miles better, and as for it making sense, sorry, but get a clue?

go watch perfect blue for a movie with a confusing number of plot twists lol.

You dont know whats real and whats not for the last 30 mins of that film.

If you want plot twists, I heartily recommend 'The Big Lebowski', one of the funniest films of all time. "World of pain Jesus, world of pain..."

M

Moving Target

Saw The Ring yesterday.

Excellent movie....

:|

S

Sar

The Jap original trilogy are far far better.

And as someone said, Magnificent Seven is a direct remake of Seven Samurai. Although SS is better, even though it's all in japanese and in B&W.

:)

R

rynnor

Great film tho - scared the hell out of the wife - I'm tempted to set the video to come on and record static when I go out tonight - however I think this might be classed as 'mental torture' and divorce proceedings can be distressing...

I'll try and dig out the Japanese original - it sounds pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread