The Real friday news

S

snoz

News, the Friday news !
[2003-7-03]

New servers :

At the beginning of the week, the preparation for the hardware upgrade of Ys started. Sadly, we have to postpone this update ; one of the six servers of the new universe is not reacting as we want. We are currently performing extensive tests in order to find the problem and fix it. Ys will not be upgraded this week unlike we previously announced but it is postponed to the near future.

Account trading/selling :

We want to do a little check-up on the account trading/selling.
First, let's look at the rules. Each game account is strictly personal and, according to the EULA (end user license agreement), it is strictly forbidden to sell, trade or lend an account to someone. If you do so, you breach the contract.

Despite this, some players try their luck, trading characters, most of the time to be able to test other realms' classes. Seeing this, we would like to warn you on a few points :
Some players are not honest and they will try to sell their characters to you. Know that you have a a big chance of being the on the losing end in such a deal. The seller will know all the passwords and can easily rob you, declaring for example that his account has been hacked.

In the case of account trading, just to test new characters, know that by doing so, you are giving your password to someone else and that he will be able to do whatever he wants with it, and even if you think he is a good guy, he may rip you off. You would not believe the number of players losing their characters because of their…little brother…

All of this is to tell you that if you have any problem with an account trading/selling, you will be at fault. Never ever give your password to anyone, do not share your account and most of all, do not buy accounts. Know that if we have suspicions over an account, or if different players are claiming to be the owners of the same account, we may just close the account. It would be sad to buy an account and find it banned the next day…

Bug exploit :

With the coming of the Shrouded Isles new classes and some new abilities of these classes, some bug exploit problems came back to the surface. With this news, let's clear some points again :

First, what is a bug exploit for us :
Basically, a bug exploit is when a player finds a bug in the game and uses it repeatedly for his own profit. Today, we will mainly see bug exploiting in RvR situations.

The most common bug exploit is to use geometry holes in order to position your character in an unreachable place, giving the exploiter the freedom to kill any players coming around, with little to no risk, since the victims cannot attack back, unless they themselves exploit the bug. This can be using roofs, bridge holes, etc. All players abusing such bugs are bug exploiters and can be punished. This rule also applies to pets.

Now, let's look at the recent discussions. The problem comes from the line of sight (LOS) of pets. In the current version pets can attack from range through solid objects. Players using pets normally, in a keep defence for example, and sending the pets through the doors are just playing their class normally, nothing wrong with that. Maybe it is not really fair play, but the issue will be fixed in a coming patch and there is no "bug" exploit in this case.

The good news is that the LOS problem will be partially fixed in a coming patch, which will solve a lot of issues.

New players :

Finally, some of you may have noticed the little "experience Dark Age of Camelot" button on the top of the screen on our homepage. This new part of the website will make the experienced players smile and it is of course not aimed to them, but rather meant to give newcomers to the genre a small introduction to the game.

XML files :

There has been a small update to the XML files, so if you are using them for a fansite, you may want to take a look at this very minor change of tags. In a nutshell, a "language" tag was added and the "type" tag was changed to describe the server type.

On that, happy week end everyone and have fun !

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=902

F

Falcon

Was hoping for some news of when 1.59 or 1.60 or whatever is due :*(

The experience DAoC button is better than the game itself dammit! :p

T

The Fonz

Is it me or should they start calling this the "Friday reminder about not being allowed to trade accounts".

F

Falcon

Henry answers to you in five stages :

MMG could mean Mega Marvelous Great. In fact, as you already know it, MMG stands for Massively Multiplayer Game. It is a real revolution in the Video Games world, which enable thousands of internet surfers to play online simultaneously.

In this game, every surfer chooses to play a character, to live its adventures and experiences. Now, that breaks the everyday life routine !
In real life, I’m a postman, but in Dark Age of Camelot, I transform myself into a Troll warrior. Instead of delivering mail, I deliver mighty blows with my hammer !

Everybody play in the same world. The players are allied or foes, according to the realm they belong to.
For instance Betty, the pretty girl I have a crush on, is my worst enemy in game !

When a player logs off, is character is dormant. It is no longer in touch with other characters.
Me too, when I’m not playing, I’d like to take a nap all day! ;-)

Even when the player and his character are not here, the world continues to evolve, and this 24/24 H. You’re only a small part of this big world !
Nice translations in the Experience DAoC game :p

Now I'm waiting for some action from a female called Betty who's going to convince me to enjoy DAoC... Apparently.

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by The Fonz
Is it me or should they start calling this the "Friday reminder about not being allowed to trade accounts".

Checked Ebay lately? - tsk tsk.

Personally i think GOA / Mythic should stop ebay trading the accounts.

K

Kharok Svark

Originally posted by snoz
News, the Friday news !
[2003-7-03]

XML files :

There has been a small update to the XML files

Has there ? ... looks the same as 8 days ago to me !

M

matax

And still nothing about why there is no Hibernian XML info and if they're ever going to fix it :(

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Well, the 'experience' was laughable (both in terms of translation - babelfish, anyone?) and content - if that's a taster of what DAOC is about they should ship mouthwash with every box. The only thing of interest was the year-old pre-release video :(

Honestly, while I can't complain about GOA's management of the servers (the downtime is really very low) their marketing is absolutely appalling.

If they wanted to develop a web-based 'taster' of the game, they should have put together a mock-up of the character creation screens - everyone loves to tinker with character creation and it would at least give some insight into one part of the game.

With some decent PR/marketing I reckon GOA could have at least doubled their sales over the past year. As it is it's too late and I think people are going to start leaving this game in greater and greater numbers.

P

Piper

And no announcement that there are 'no plans for a cooperative server' according to answers received from RightNow :-(

Users who are viewing this thread