The PS3

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just keeps on delivering.

Last firmware it became profile 2.0 compatible, next firmware it can decode DTS-MA and DTS-HD HRA.

THANK YOU SONY!!! Now I am a happy happy bunny. Money well spent :)

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Are people generally happy with their PS3's?

I've been contemplating buying one recently with GTA IV coming out, and I'm trying to convince myself that it's a good investment/economical way to get a BluRay player at the same time... It also does DVD upscaling etc, so fairly handy.

I've always been a PC gamer - and never really owned consoles. Do ppl like theirs?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm very happy with it as a cheap blu-ray player and because it plays the classic ps2 games (well it did if you were lucky enough to buy a 60gb).

I have no need for it as a media center as my pc is close to my tv, and the gaming side of it is still very poor. I think it is worth while investing in one, but I have a feeling they are due a price cut, there has not been a response to the 360 price cuts yet and there needs to be.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've never owned a PSx before, always been Xbox, then xbox360. My xbox was chipped and used as a divx player. Then I got a PS3 on launch day and both the xbox and the 360 are unplugged thrown in the corner.

Love the PS3. Think it deserves some recognition for what it is doing to the A/V and gaming world. It has so much and it will continue to provide ROI over the next couple of years as everyone including the Sony engineers understand it more.

I also have a top specced PC but I just love playing on the console in HD on a 40" in the lounge with a bunch of mates.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm very happy with it as a cheap blu-ray player and because it plays the classic ps2 games (well it did if you were lucky enough to buy a 60gb).

As a cheap blu-ray player? Maybe cheap but doesn't mean it cannot deliver. There is not a player out at the moment that can better it...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes, I did not mean that it was inferior. I see no need to buy a "proper" blu-ray player as long as my ps3 is still working.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes, I did not mean that it was inferior. I see no need to buy a "proper" blu-ray player as long as my ps3 is still working.

Why would you anyway? They are nowhere near as fast as the PS3. "Proper" doesn't meant anything and is just crap. The PS3 is a "proper" player.

The only reason to buy a standalone player would be for analogue outputs if you didn't have a HDMI capable receiver I guess.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
mine has almost replaced my xbox running xbmc almost, still prefer the scaling xbmc does on dvds and dodgy tv eps. now if only sony got some proper nifty games on psn like xbla has rez hd, ikaruga, n+ etc that would for me be the icing on the cake.

ps3 has analouge outputs dont it? component is analougue

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
He means multi channel analouge audio outs yaka, for uncompressed audio.

Aada

Part of the furniture
If you want it for games don't get it yet.

Bluray films are expensive too it's not like i can walk into HMV/tesco or something pick up 3 bluray films and walk out with a smile on my face knowing i've just spent nearly £60.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I am very pleased with my ps3 but we are still yet to see the best of it gaming wise. GT P is stunning though :) I like PSN too i got the original Syphon Filter for £4 i think that is great, it looks stupid on my HD tv but its great to play a game i loved all them years ago.

I have started buying some new films on Blu Ray i think the quality is worth the extra £6 Hitman recently and i have pre ordered I am Legend.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You thought hitman was worth spending an extra £6 on to watch in HD?

Fuck me sideways.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You thought hitman was worth spending an extra £6 on to watch in HD?

Fuck me sideways.

Yeah it was an ok film i did not own on DVD i wanted in one way or another so the extra £6 did not seem to matter

Embattle

FH is my second home
One thing I will credit Sony with is releasing some nice updates via Firmware, they've been doing the same with the PSP for some time now.

I would say one thing that is a concern is it seems to have suffered a slightly higher amount of blu-ray drive failures.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
anyone who installs sonys offical fw is a fewl, dark alex is better specaily for running emus

i only own 3 bd films all were freebies.

also for films stuffelse there is a way round to get .mkvs to play on ps3 MKV2Vob is great app the makes it happen

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I'd use Sony's PSP firmware if I could rip my games to memstick. It's the only reason I use CFW.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
well cant blame sony for that, only a few games worth owning,

god of war and crisis core are the most recent ones come to mind.

fuck knows why monster hunter in japan is selling like gold dust tho, horredouse grind fest

Yaka

Part of the furniture
wow, the old and extrealy shit ps3 store is replaced and much faster to navigate.

fuckign amzing improvment

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeh, good news all round.

/me waits for Starman to come out of the woodwork and diss the firmware update, the ps3, the sun and blu-ray.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
It's a bit fucked atm - everyone trying to get on it so the images are downloading really slow =D It'll speed up I guess.

BTW: apparently on Thursday the Metal Gear Online beta will be available to everyone in Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
My PS3 seems to have so much stuff i dont even know anything about :( I feel like such a noob :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom