The No ToA server!

orbin

Fledgling Freddie
Lets say the yanks get this in the next couple of weeks, how fast can we expect to get a english version in Europe? I mean as this is no new patch and just a new server we would not have to wait 4-5 monts, right?

I would resubscribe and reroll there in 1 sec! :D

/Gashemi

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
What's the deal with this ToA...I'm new so don't get what the deal is with it.

orbin

Fledgling Freddie
I can only speak for myself, but i hate the fact that it is almost impossible to roll an alt or get more then 1 max 2 chars through all the MLs and needed artifacts to be able to compete in RvR. Especially since we in Midgard do not have any pet spammers.

/Gashemi

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
It's almost funny...but i've no idea what your on about.

What's ML's?
What's artifacts?
What are pet spammers?

So would i have this problem if i'm just starting the game as a newbie?

orbin

Fledgling Freddie
Ok ill try to explain.

Artifacts
Powerful items that are attainable by finish different encounters or slaying a more or less hard mob. These often have random spawn which make them almost always down, say up to 24 hours. When and if you get a hold of this item you need to farm scrolls for them, 3 for each item. Some are easy and some are very hard to come by, by farming yourself. Sure you could by them at CM but they are like artifacts often extremely expensive and sell for alot of plat.

Not all artifacts are like this and are easier but some a wanted by alot of ppl and its a pain in the ass to get hold of them.

MLs
There are 10 master levels which take different amount of time to finish, say from 2-6 hours each. Often you have to be alot of ppl to be able to do them. Especially for us in midgard who are not so fortunate to have petspamming classes (see further down). These MLs are often announced here at the FH some days before they are about to take place. Some of the higher MLs take their amount of time and ppl and there will most likely be some weeks between the runs.

Petspamming classes
A class that can summon alot of minions to make your raid "bigger". Mythic code work like this, the more ppl that hit the mob will make it easier to hit for a real person (say warrior) to hit and will make harder mobs fall like trees.

Albion have the Theurgist that can spam pets.
Hibernia have the Animist that can spam shrooms.

I hope this explain some. Sorry for some mistakes regarding the language im not a native speaker.

/Gashemi

Chronictank

FH is my second home
TOA = Trials Of Atlantis
The 3rd expansion released for daoc.

In it there are new abilities added to the game via equipemnt and Master Levels.

Master levels are encounters you do which you are rewarded for by a ability.
Each Master Level has 10 parts, when you complete the 10 parts, after completing the 10 parts you also need master level experience, when you have all encounters and 100% master level experience you visit the arbiter (trainer for master levels), and you gain a new abiility only available through ML's.

Artifacts allow you to make you character ALOT better than a character in a full set of spellcrafted armour.

You can see what artifacts and master level encounters are like by going to:
http://www.visionofsages.net/toa/

Hope that helps

edit: hehe seems someone beat me to it

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
jimmyh said:
It's almost funny...but i've no idea what your on about.

What's ML's?
What's artifacts?
What are pet spammers?

So would i have this problem if i'm just starting the game as a newbie?

It depends what your goal is. If you goal is to do better than average in RvR then you have a long road ahead unless you make some very good friends who are prepared to help you quickly (or you play very hardcore like 8 hours + a day). If you are content to explore, fight tough mobs and Rvr in a more casual manner (i..e get killed lots but still get the odd kill yourself) then you can get up and running alot faster. Especially if you have catacombs.

Master levels are a set of long quests that typically require a zerg (lots of people) to complete. Some people really dislike them other a more neutral and the rare person likes them. They arent too abd the first time thru in my opinon in fact there are some fun fights just tends to eb a lot of waiting around etc...

Pet spammers are at this point the animist class and the theurgist class. These classes can summon massive numbers of pets if they have enough power. Their strength is that almost all ultra tough mobs get easier to hit and the damage done to them increases with the number of attackers attacking them. Each pet counts as an attacker and so relatively few animists/thuerigists can make Master level / artifact encounters much easier by not only damaging the mob themselves but massively increasing the damage of the other people on the raid against tough mobs.

Artifacts are magic items that are genrally obtained by completing a tough encounter. Before they can be used 3 scrolls must be farmed to activate them. Most players dislike the scroll part the most as it involves kjilling the same mobs over and over agina untill they drop the scroll you want. Artifacts have some indispensible powers and to compete at teh top level are mandatory.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
you dont need 8 hours a day solid gaming to compete most of heresy have done well on 4 hours every monday and sunday.

99% of the people who dont want to do toa are also the same few that dont like pve at all. IE lets all go get powereleveled to 50 o wait whats engage doo.

If you go onto the non toa server you will still be up against the hard core gamers that do galladoria / cear sidi / tuscern glacier / legion etc etc for the ubah drops your still going to be at a disadvantage. All that toa did was increase the distance between the power gamer IE someone who plays for more than 1 hour a night and the lazy person who thinks mls are boring isnt prepared to get groups together for artis and who wants to win at rvr every single time.

Put the time in and be rewarded this is a mmorpg emphasis on the MASSIVE and ROLEPLAY.

If you want more instant gratification go play counterstrike.

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
I like pve...and prefer it over pvp.....i'm also more into the actual rp...so getting to the max level in 5 mins is no concern for me at all. As long as i can get my house and live in it :p

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
All that toa did was increase the distance between the power gamer IE someone who plays for more than 1 hour a night and the lazy person who thinks mls are boring isnt prepared to get groups together for artis and who wants to win at rvr every single time.

What utter crap.

The hardcore gamer is someone who plays for more than 4hrs every night and given the time they can invest, to farm artis, scrolls and do MLs, they are at a significant advantage over the casual gamer who just can't invest the time to get this kind of item and cash advantage.

MLs are boring, buggy and insanely annoying. The quests are, for the most part, not interesting and add little to the psuedo-arthurian mythos of the game. Artifacts are only marginally less anoying, as they still require a massive amount of time to level up (let alone get scrolls for and obtain) that the casual player (who PvE'd to lvl 50, not PL'd) can afford.

ToA did bring some good quests to the game and in many ways, did help the casual player by the general higher quality of drop to be found in the ToA zones, while at the same raising the level of power the hardcore gamer could achieve even more so.

The majority of people I know who didn't like ToA, didn't PL toons to level 50, but played the game solidly and wanted to be competitive in RvR with a reasonable time investment. Before ToA, I'd say that this was just about doable, after ToA it became almost impossible for those players.

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
Jimmy,
If your preferance is for PvE then ToA offers things to do once your character gets to 50. The expansion added a lot of high end content for those people who choose not to spend all their time in the Frontier. Whines aside there are a lot of fun and interesting bits and storyline if you care to look. You have to take into consideration that the people who are complaining about it are the ones who prefer the PvP aspect of the game and resent (and in some cases rightly so) that the competition on the European servers is so tight that they can't compete without being 'forced' to PvE beyond 50 as they need the ML abilities and artifacts.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
The problem isnt really ToA itself - as Zenythe says it offers things to do other than rvr at level 50 which ofc is a good thing. The problem is that most people that want to rvr feel "forced" to do the ToA stuff with a new character, since the benefits of ToA are too large to be ignored if you want to do well in rvr.
If Mythic were to go back in time and redesign ToA i think they would have made it alil more like Catacombs, i.e. with items and abilities only useable in PvE, since it seems they understood the problems by the time they designed Cata and didnt want to repeat them again.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
orbin said:
Lets say the yanks get this in the next couple of weeks, how fast can we expect to get a english version in Europe? I mean as this is no new patch and just a new server we would not have to wait 4-5 monts, right?

I'd expect GOA will wait to see how popular the "no ToA" server is in the longterm. So we'd still have to wait for ~6 months before seeing a similar server here.

Besides, GOA will want to focus on server clustering if it happens in EU.

P.S. The problem with ToA isn't the amount of PvE, it's the fact that you have to do it with every character you own. We're talking hundreds of hours of repetitive PvE.

Sure it's exciting the first time, boring the second and completely retarded for each additional character :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
jimmyh said:
What's the deal with this ToA...I'm new so don't get what the deal is with it.

ToA (or Trials of Atlantis) is whats killing the game according to the hardcore rvr fanbois. they feel they should be able to just waltz in and collect the artifacts from NPC's and the artis should also be lvl 10 already (totally ignoring the fact that the artifacts in question is so good it would be more killing of the game to get them any easier then what u already can).

basicly its just another "level 1-50" grind (well, 1- 10 in this case but some of the items takes almost as long time to get to max level as it does to get to lvl 50). but for items insted of the actual toon your playing.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Escape said:
I'd expect GOA will wait to see how popular the "no ToA" server is in the longterm. So we'd still have to wait for ~6 months before seeing a similar server here.

doubt ~6 months will be long enough. remember we didnt get a pvp server until well over 1.5 years after the yanks.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
ToA (or Trials of Atlantis) is whats killing the game according to the hardcore rvr fanbois. they feel they should be able to just waltz in and collect the artifacts from NPC's and the artis should also be lvl 10 already (totally ignoring the fact that the artifacts in question is so good it would be more killing of the game to get them any easier then what u already can).

Tbh, i think its the casuall rvr'ers that think ToA stinks more than anyone else. The elite/hardcore rvr'ers have competent guilds that will help their members new alts get ToA done with minimal fuss, whilst casuall players will strugle to "complete" ToA for a single characer.

So probably:

Casuall PvE people - indifferent ToA
Casuall PvP people - dislike ToA
Hardcore PvE people - love ToA
Hardcore PvP people - indifferent to ToA

Tilda

I'd class myself as a Hardcore PvP'er, but when I do do toa, i enjoy it emensly, especially leading ML raids.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
tbh after leading a few midgard excalibur ml raids 99% of all the stress and problems come from the lazy people.

Ie /afk /stick what i died whaaa i missed a step.

To many people go onto ml raids without reading anything about it (probbly not even the information from master journal).

Master Levels are meant to be MASTER LEVELS ie you have mastered your class. They are tasks and quests which cant be done with just /stick /any time yay i won. They require thinking ahead.

For instance i once heard someone on a ml9 raid going "my heat legendary doesnt work on phoneix is this a bug" thinking about it before posting that, phoenix is a bird of fire notice the FIRE bit.

I would class myself a hard core player ie more than 4 hours a day but my mls take around 3 to 5 depending on how many lds how many stupid people i get on the raid. most people watch more tv in a night that go on mls. Half the problems are down to not enough raid leaders. i dont mind i run em when i got characters i need the steps on :)

Jim if you want to really enjoy toa then arrange a complete mlrun 1 to 10 be prepared to be whined at complained at the omg i ld'd i mised steps the i got stuck where is everyone.

Trust me once you run a ml raid you will realise who are the master players and who are the leechers.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
addicts...

Same of you will poo poo this but its very very true:

They also added and made the ml's/artifacts very difficult because most mmporg developers now recognise that most hardcore mmporg players have a psychological addiction similar to gamblers.
Think of it as a drug addiction - every time you take a hit it requires a bigger hit to get you high next time(example, you level up, it requires more xp and time next time to level up, so the time-reward ratio drops, forcing you to work harder for your next "fix").
Its a case of the more you use the harder it is to get high or get that fix - the end result are people who play 24/7 and lose all their social life, but the COMPANY producing the mmporg has a garunteed subscriber who will buy all the new patches/releases etc.

You dont believe me go look it up in some psych texts, its only been recognised in recent years as a rapidly evolving trend.

Gungo

One of Freddy's beloved
TOA pretty much destroyed the Weapon crafting too, imo ofc :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I don't think it would come as a patch, like GoA don't host RP and COOP servers, wheres Mythric do.

I believe its totaly up to GoA if they think launching special servers will be worth while.

Martok

Part of the furniture
tbh if they launch that server i think it would hit cap population every day lol people from every server want a non ToA server.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
And it would destroy/drain the existing servers in the process. Please keep whatever servers Mythic comes up with far away from Europe. Not interested!

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
And it would destroy/drain the existing servers in the process. Please keep whatever servers Mythic comes up with far away from Europe. Not interested!

Well thankfully, it's not up to you!

As a community we should be given the decision - if people vote for it and want to play on it they can. If you don't, then stay on the current servers.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
the big question is......once they implement the non toa server....Will you be able to transfer your char over

oh and what about us PvP players? will we get a non toa pvp server?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Martok said:
tbh if they launch that server i think it would hit cap population every day lol people from every server want a non ToA server.

yes. but as im fairly confident u wont get a char transfer theres not *THAT* many ppl whos willing to just ditch toons they have spent 3 and a half year developing getting ToA'd and lgm crafter etc etc. i'd say its more the casuals that will move then anything else. as they havent spent the same ammount of time on their toons (unless they acually went through the arti and ML grind themselfs)

Fana said:
Tbh, i think its the casuall rvr'ers that think ToA stinks more than anyone else. The elite/hardcore rvr'ers have competent guilds that will help their members new alts get ToA done with minimal fuss, whilst casuall players will strugle to "complete" ToA for a single characer.

in some cases i suppose ur right. but i dont mine ToA that much, and i cant be a more casual rvr'er then i already am :) and i just dont give a rats poo about ToA. the only thing my shammy have from there is winged helmet and scepter of meritorious plus the oceanus quest armor. and the scepter will probably never get activated as im way to lazy to try to farm the scrolls for it and to poor to buy it on CM's ;) and the helmet is still at lvl 0 after getting it a few days after ToA released :) but im having fun anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom