News The importance of multiple independent news sources

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I was going to post these links in the Kim Jong Il thread but then realised I'd be accused of being a commie and trying to derail the thread, so new thread for this, and to be fair, it's important enough a subject to warrant its own anyway. :)

Auntie was pissing me off with it's obvious drum beating - I just wanted to hear a bit about Kim Jong Il's death - not hear more about our political objectives in the region - so I'd left the Beeb to have a look at another news source

I haven't been on the Al Jazeera site in many months, which is dumb of me - as they paint a very different picture of the world. Relying on auntie recently, then seeing a couple of stories that I'd not heard a thing about has left me feeling like an american - their news is woefully inadequate in terms of coverage - and it seems ours is increasingly horridly like that. American news sources simply don't report on a lot of important shit and as a consequence Americans are aware of fuck all (and it goes a long way to explaining their idiotic intolerance of anything different). :(

For example. It's proper kicking off in Egypt at the moment: At least ten dead and 400+ injured as egyptian military assault protestors (and set fire to camps in Tahrir square) after four straight days of violence - footage includes rather nasty beatings. I guess we're not covering this on teh beeb as we support the military as we supported the previous government.

And as US troops leave Iraq one of the two Iraqi vice presidents has been arrested on the orders of the prez, as he's apparently been saying that the US has left Iraq with a dictator, who's been centralising power recently. The arrest looks set leave the country in a political crisis. Apparently.

I guess I wanted to post this because I spend a lot of time on the internet but not nearly enough time challenging my own world view - which I think is important to do.

What non-western news sources do you use, if you do? What news are we missing? Am I wrong, and should we get behind our own political propaganda for a happier life? :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The BBC is probably the worst for dodgy reporting. If they aren't getting facts entirely wrong (see some of their hilarious science/nature stories) they are spinning their own angle on news stories or causing panics (SWINE FLU OMFG!)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I have posted this before so I'll recap real fast.
Got first Skydisk pointed it at Eutelsat which at the time had unecrypted analogue news feeds, it was run up to first Iraq war, the journalist was surrounded by head slapping wailing women holding placards denouncing the west, he was being jostled and struggled to get his words out, the item finished at the cameraman zoomed out. The 'huge crowd' was 10 women in a tight shot, who straight away calmed down and wandered off, in the background where bemused onlookers holding shopping bags and driving modern cars.
Who exactly benefits from this criminal skewing of truth, surely the media can't be in every politicians pocket..I dunno, but it still goes on every day.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I'm no big fan of the lefty BBC, but I did read and see both of the stories you quoted on there.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't really watch the news, i just register random things i hear at the office, forums, whatnot. Pretty much because all news broadcasts are propaganda, even if it's not that clear these days.

This goes for ALL news broadcasts that are in any way funded by the government.

Ofcourse there's a good reason for it, keeping people in check, keeping unified goals and so on, but as a whole, i don't put much into news broadcasts as they are, at the core, propaganda and way too picky.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I don't bother with news much.

It makes life so much simpler. You should all try it. None of this fucking bullshit enters your life, ever.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I'm of a similar mindset to Waz these days, though I understand the arguments why that's a bad stance to take.. I used to follow everything, but all the shit and being powerless to do anything about much of it really gets to me :( So I just dip in and out these days.

A quote I loved from that xinhua link: :D
According to a notice released by the National Funeral Committee,mourning guns will be boomed in Pyongyang and in provincial seats timed to coincide with the national memorial service in Pyongyang.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm no big fan of the lefty BBC, but I did read and see both of the stories you quoted on there.

It's faux-lefty m8. Watch other news sources and it's horridly right wing.

And I couldn't find those stories with a cursory click through of all the news pages, so they mustn't have been at all prominent...

Compare and contrast.

Aye. Al-Jazeera's long had a reputation for being moderate...

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I compared the BBC to the Al Jazeera report and they are virtually identical. I really could not find any evidence of different editorial stances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom