The future of DAOC

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
/cheer

"Friends and realm-mates,

For more than twelve years Mythic Entertainment’s flagship game: Dark Age of Camelot™ has been remarkably successful. Since its launch in 2001, DAoC forever changed the MMO genre.

Inspiring thousands of gamers and game developers alike, it paved the way for a generation of MMOs to follow. Through the years, Camelot has also seen its share of rough times - but thanks to its many loyal fans and its wonderful and dedicated community, Dark Age of Camelot has proven to be a true survivor. In recent months, Mythic’s leadership began discussing the question of Camelot’s future. Councils were convened, options were discussed - and finally, a decision was made regarding the best possible future for Dark Age of Camelot.

I write to you now with news of the exciting next chapter in the life and history of our beloved game:

Mythic Entertainment co-founder Rob Denton and a number of Mythic veterans (including two members of Camelot’s original team!) have formed a new game studio - Broadsword Online Games!

Broadsword Online Games will partner with EA’s Mythic Entertainment to operate, support and develop Dark Age of Camelot on EA’s behalf. Electronic Arts will continue to provide billing and account services through its Origin portal. Broadsword and Electronic Arts will work closely together to ensure a bright future for Dark Age of Camelot. For future inquiries and support, you can contact daoc@broadsword.com.

There are sure to be many questions, and we will certainly be providing more information very soon. But for now please join us in celebrating this momentous event, and spread the word that the Broadsword team will guide Dark Age of Camelot into the future with renewed dedication and the utmost respect.

Faithfully yours,

Talal Saad
Producer
Dark Age of Camelot

----------------------------

In the wake of such exciting news, we know that there shall be numerous questions about this transition and what it means for Dark Age of Camelot. Let’s explore the answers to some basic questions:

What does the transition to Broadsword mean for Dark Age of Camelot?

EA/Mythic and Broadsword are working really hard to make sure that this transition is as smooth as possible. On February 5th, you shouldn’t notice a thing. Going forward, we hope to bring about some exciting new changes, improved Customer Support, and increased correspondence with the DAoC community.

Broadsword’s dedicated team will also work to modernize and improve existing DAoC content, complete long-awaited improvements to The Camelot Herald, and establish compelling new features for Dark Age of Camelot, both in-game and out.

Is Broadsword an Electronic Arts studio?

No. However, for purposes of DAoC, Broadsword will be operating the game on EA’s behalf to continue its success.

Will there be a change in the payment system?

Nope! Players will continue to access DAoC through EA’s Origin™ portal. There will be no interruption or change in the payment service. Players may notice that charges on their bank statements will still indicate a payment to Mythic or EA – and Game Time Codes will still be available via the EA Origin™ Store.

What will happen to any information I’ve provided to EA/Mythic?

Nothing. Since Broadsword is operating DAoC on EA’s behalf, all the information you provided and may provide in the future will continue to be managed according to EA’s Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Will there be changes to the Dark Age of Camelot development team?

Broadsword is made up of a people who are passionate about DAoC, and many of whom were responsible for the development and operation in the past.

You can continue to expect the same high level of dedication and commitment to the game, as well as continued interaction with the player-base. You will see some new names, or possibly names you know quite well taking a role in the development of Dark Age of Camelot going forward.

Will this transition alter the plans for Dark Age of Camelot’s near term changes?

DaoC’s transition to Broadsword will certainly have a positive effect on our future plans. With increased bandwidth and resources we will work toward modernizing some of the game’s features and developing a tangible marketing plan to attract more players, both new and returning.

The mission of the Dark Age of Camelot team will remain the same: to improve the game, listen and respond to feedback, and to provide the best possible content to ensure a great game experience for our players.

Are you bouncing off the walls with excitement?!

Why yes! Yes we are!
-----

We’ve just scratched the surface with these basic questions. We’ll set up an avenue for you to submit your questions about the transition, and do our best to provide the answers.

Speaking for the entire Dark Age of Camelot team: Thank you all, very sincerely, for sticking with us through the years. We will do our utmost to take DAoC into a bright and exciting future!

Until next time friends, we await your feedback and questions - and we’ll see you in the Frontiers!

Respectfully yours,
The Dark Age of Camelot Team"

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't be surprised if they do, but in a more p2win way. :p

Wouldn't even need to be a pay2win f2p system, they could just sell cosmetics/race respecs/+% boost scrolls etc, wouldn't be pay2win then and they'd still be turning over a decent profit... plenty of people would pay for 50-100% more rps for X hours :p I know that much.

Tilda

I'd pay tbh to be able to play non-standard races - ie firbolg chanter, luri druid etc?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Firbolg nightshade.

Make it so.

...or Troll shadowblade!

Starwind

Can't get enough of FH
It needs new bling, something like what ToA brought, new graphics lots of things to do like open world raids, scroll farming ML's etc etc. Like ToA or hate it, look what it brought to the table as in giving people plenty to do, now its all handed to people for a few BP's.

Same with RvR, change things around keep it fresh, i mean the Relic system has to have a true reward not this waste if time they have in now, and the RR5 abilities are just poor on alot of classes, give something meaningful and have a choice between something offensive or defensive, oh i could go on all day long , but i think you get the point.

No need to reinvent the wheel here, but putting tyres on it makes it better.

I hope the new team set up brings something much more than we have been getting, it may bring alot of people back.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I'd pay tbh to be able to play non-standard races - ie firbolg chanter, luri druid etc?

I would literally never play alb or mid again if luri could be any class :p luri bard, tiny drum solo!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
They aren't going to get a lot of players back if they don't ditch the payment model. Subs has its good points but not on a game this old. Like what Blood says, just have shitty boosters for sale, help get through the grind for those that choose it. Even a transmuter that can change your equip to any from the item directory that freeshards often had.

Plik

One of Freddy's beloved
Would be nice with a classic server without their shitty catacombs and new frontier, and still strict to the original game. Think a lot of people would reactivate again, instead of playing on a random freeshard with a lot of bugs.

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
Would be nice with a classic server without their shitty catacombs and new frontier, and still strict to the original game. Think a lot of people would reactivate again, instead of playing on a random freeshard with a lot of bugs.

Just looking at the numbers on the freeshard one, they certainly would get a lot back.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just looking at the numbers on the freeshard one, they certainly would get a lot back.

Possibly, but they don't have the funding so that's just a pipe dream, unless EA man up and allow development of Origins like they were going to before, the only way I can see that happening is if Rob Denton puts forward a good case that it would succeed, they'll listen to Rob Denton if he puts together a good plan, being one of the founders of Mythic they'd be silly not to.

Other problem with that is if they made an Origins server now on live Ywain would die as soon as Origins opened, so what they gained from shards they would lose from Ywain, so I'm sure it would balance out in the long run.

As hard as it is to believe not everyone wants an OF server, a lot of people despise the idea of it. Can't say I'm overly fond of "NECK CHECK!" and long frontier runs again.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Possibly, but they don't have the funding so that's just a pipe dream, unless EA man up and allow development of Origins like they were going to before, the only way I can see that happening is if Rob Denton puts forward a good case that it would succeed, they'll listen to Rob Denton if he puts together a good plan, being one of the founders of Mythic they'd be silly not to.

Other problem with that is if they made an Origins server now on live Ywain would die as soon as Origins opened, so what they gained from shards they would lose from Ywain, so I'm sure it would balance out in the long run.

As hard as it is to believe not everyone wants an OF server, a lot of people despise the idea of it. Can't say I'm overly fond of "NECK CHECK!" and long frontier runs again.
You said Origins, ban hiiiiiim

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
The future of DAoC is very exciting!

not really, its a huge case of too little, too late. if the exploiters get removed (which they wont, cos they pay for their accounts), and the other problems get fixed, which they wont, it will still be 5 years too late :D

likelyhood of there actually being REAL GMs rather than automatic response .. nil

/shrug

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom