The Feedback & What-Are-You-Up-To Thread

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

I thought it may be nice to shamelessly borrow an idea I've seen elsewhere and encourage people to post teasers of what they're currently working on and gain feedback.

Basically, just post or link to screenshots or working versions of your current project, in whatever medium you work in. If posting or linking to images, try to keep the file size down by creating thumbnails or just capturing specific bits etc.

If you want people to give feedback on a specific issue then just say. And keep it nice :) Constructive criticism is goiod, expressing your reasoned opinions is good, tearing apart somebody's work for the sake of it is bad.

Have fun!

Kind Regards

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
damn, now I'll have to get to work on alphanor version three-and-a-bit ;) stop inspiring me Jonts ;)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
damn, now I'll have to get to work on alphanor version three-and-a-bit ;) stop inspiring me Jonts ;)
hehe, get to it :p You're getting as bad as me when it comes to development timelines. Darn that 3DRealms' Guide to Development book ;)

Kind Regards

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
messingaroun with an old script mainly

it used to draw a random bar graph, but it fades through colours too :D

bored.php

and some CSS, but that's no where near finished

Code:
<?PHP

//send png header, so it's displayed as a png
Header("Content-type: image/png");

//colors, any value 0-255 for each channel
//starting colour of bar
$barstart_r = "0";
$barstart_g = "0";
$barstart_b = "0";
//ending colour of bar
$barend_r = "255";
$barend_g = "255";
$barend_b = "255";
//starting colour of background
$bgstart_r = "255";
$bgstart_g = "85";
$bgstart_b = "0";
//ending colour of background
$bgend_r = "255";
$bgend_g = "85";
$bgend_b = "0";
//differances
//bar diffs
$bardiff_r = $barend_r - $barstart_r;
$bardiff_g = $barend_g - $barstart_g;
$bardiff_b = $barend_b - $barstart_b;
//bg diffs
$bgdiff_r = $bgend_r - $bgstart_r;
$bgdiff_g = $bgend_g - $bgstart_g;
$bgdiff_b = $bgend_b - $bgstart_b;
//diffs devided by 101
//bar
$barinc_r = $bardiff_r / 100;
$barinc_g = $bardiff_g / 100;
$barinc_b = $bardiff_b / 100;
//bg
$bginc_r = $bgdiff_r / 100;
$bginc_g = $bgdiff_g / 100;
$bginc_b = $bgdiff_b / 100;
/*SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE AFTER NEXT STAGE
//rouded, just in case the diff is less than 101
//bar
$barinc_r = round($barinc_r,0);
$barinc_g = round($barinc_g,0);
$barinc_b = round($barinc_b,0);
//bg
$bginc_r = round($bginc_r,0);
$bginc_g = round($bginc_g,0);
$bginc_b = round($bginc_b,0);
*/

//rand percent
$i = rand(0, 100);

//create a blank canvas
$width = "300";
$height = "30";
$image = imagecreate($width,$height);

//define values for that pass
//bar
$xred = $barstart_r + ( $barinc_r * $i );
$xgreen = $barstart_g + ( $barinc_g * $i );
$xblue = $barstart_b + ( $barinc_b * $i );
//bg
$yred = $bgstart_r + ( $bginc_r * $i );
$ygreen = $bgstart_g + ( $bginc_g * $i );
$yblue = $bgstart_b + ( $bginc_b * $i );
//rouded, just in case the diff is less than 101
//bar
$xred = round($xred,0);
$xgreen = round($xgreen,0);
$xblue = round($xblue,0);
//bg
$yred = round($yred,0);
$ygreen = round($ygreen,0);
$yblue = round($yblue,0);
//assign colour values to image
$changes = ImageColorAllocate($image, $xred, $xgreen, $xblue);
$changesbg = ImageColorAllocate($image, $yred, $ygreen, $yblue);

//draw the border
imagefilledrectangle($image, 0, 0, 300, 30, $changes);
imagefilledrectangle($image, 2, 2, 297, 27, $changesbg);

//use for counter as a percentage
$percent = $i;

//work out size of bar
$decimal = $percent / "100";
$pixels = "296" * $decimal;
$length = round($pixels, 0);

//draw bar
imagefilledrectangle($image, 3, 3, $length, 26, $changes);

//add % to the end of the percent value
$message = $percent . "%";

//add percent to bar
if($percent <= "50"){
    $pos = $length + "4";
    ImageString($image, 5, $pos, 7, $message, $changes);
}elseif($percent == "100"){
    $pos = $length - "37";
    ImageString($image, 5, $pos, 7, $message, $changesbg);
}else{
    $pos = $length - "30";
    ImageString($image, 5, $pos, 7, $message, $changesbg);
}

//output to browser
ImagePNG($image);

//free up the servers resources
ImageDestroy($image);

?>

itcheh

Part of the furniture
Talking of projects ... Jonty - what ever happened to your real-time virtual weather landscape display thing? I thought that was a rather nifty bit of coding!

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah Jonts, why dont you post what youve been working on?? ;)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi itcheh

That project you describe is still in progress, now under the moniker 'Window on the World'. It's still not finished, but hopefully will be soon when I've finished my other projects.

For those who don't know, the script I've developed draws a dynamic picture which replicates the view from my house. It now utilises SVG to draw the scene in vectors using an XML based markup language and CSS like webpages use. The view itself is now vastly more complicated, and takes into account the time of day, the weather, wind conditions, the accurate positioning of the stars in the sky as viewed from my position on Earth (I kid you not :)). It's pretty cool, or at least will be when it's finished. Here's a rather sparse scene at sunset ...

svg.jpg

That image lacks the fancy cloud effects and a lot of other detail, but you get the idea.

As for what I'm working on at the moment, well, I won't spoilt it but here are some icons I've designed for it ...

icons.jpg

Not very original, I know, but I'm pleased with how they've come along considering they're my first, albeit refined, attempt :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
I like that graph, wyrd_fish, very handy indeed :) The code's nice and neat too. Well done!

As your your sites, Clown, how many do you have? :D You must be kept busy, hehe.

Happy birthday, too!

Kind Regards

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
cheers jonty

it wouldn't work propperly for ages, but then i knowticed i put y instead of x in a var name :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
wyrd_fish said:
it wouldn't work propperly for ages, but then i knowticed i put y instead of x in a var name :(
hehe, I seem to be forever doing things like that and breaking my whole code. I'm especially good at missing semi-colons of line endings and such :) Still, nice script :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Wow, that rocks JingleBells, well done :) Do you know that can be done in three lines of code? (not me personally, but I've seen a very skilled Javascript coder do it as a challange).

At least when you're bored at work you stay productive, hehe :) Keep up the good work on your site, it's one of the few that validate by the looks of it.

Kind Regards

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Doing it in 3 lines wouldn't surprise me, if you use short undescriptive variable names and combine things onto one line to make it nice and unreadable it would work.

As for the site it needs to be re-organised to make it easier to maintain and I need to prod my webhost for an SQL db. I'm in no rush though, I spend all day doing web-dev on work placement (J2EE sucks btw) :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi maljonic :)

What app. do you use for that?

Kind Regards

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
TdC said:
In the words of a great man... (me)... Never Gonna Happen!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

That brings back a lot of maths and statistics for me, SheepCow, travelling sales person and all that :D hehe. That said, we did it the old fashioned way with calculations and writing (and slate and chalk by candlelight ... ;)). Very slick, though :) Standards compliant too, can't be bad!

Asd for FlashMX, Maljonic, doesn't that cost a fair bit? Or do you get via school/college/uni?

And when is Alphanor going to be finished, TdC? :D Can't you pop your journal on the main page and have done? hehe.

Keep up the good work guys, very impressive.

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Hi guys

As for FlashMX, Maljonic, doesn't that cost a fair bit? Or do you get via school/college/uni?

Kind Regards
It does cost a fair bit, the whole Macromedia suit, but I use Dreamweaver every day so it's worth it to me... I've only just got around to using the Flash program though and haven't touched Freehand at all, just Fireworks and Dreamweaver up until now. :)

P.S. Sheepcow, what would you use that pathfinder for? Or is that a silly question? :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
It does cost a fair bit, the whole Macromedia suit, but I use Dreamweaver every day so it's worth it to me... I've only just got around to using the Flash program though and haven't touched Freehand at all, just Fireworks and Dreamweaver up until now.

P.S. Sheepcow, what would you use that pathfinder for? Or is that a silly question?
Fair enough, Maljonic :) I used to use HomeSite a lot so I know what you mean about it being worth the money when you get so much out of it :) Keep up the good work :D

As for pathfinding, one example (I presume this is how it works) would be routefinder applications whereby you want the shortest (not necessarily the quickest) route from A to B (and beyond, if needs be).

Kind Regards

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
how hard would it be to add weightings (like speed limits) to the squares in the route finder?

to find the quickest, not the shortest route

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi wyrd_fish

I guess in theory you could add weighting, which like you say would be rather cool for routefinders which have to take into account speed limits and such. Whether the code required would go beyond the average for a web app., though, I don't know. I guess MultiMap and the likes already use such a system, but I'm thinking they probably have a far more sophisticated setup powering it all.

Perhaps we should start our own alternative, FreddyFinder? hehe.

Kind Regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Just thought I'd post a small teaser of a logo I've designed ...

20050317_logo_teaser.jpg

I've been working on the project for the last year or so, needless to say it's taking me ages, but I'll finish it some day ... some day ... *rocks back and forth* :)

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
What program did you use to make the logo, or did you use more than one? :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
What program did you use to make the logo, or did you use more than one? :)
Hi Maljonic

That's all done with Paint Shop Pro 9, using vectors to get the initial shape and then with raster layers and fancy layer transition effects to build up the design. I'm sure it could be easily done with Photoshop too, but that costs an exorbitant amount of money, which is strange considering how many people 'own' a copy ... :rolleyes:

The logo utilises some images from iStockPhoto, a place I find an amazing resource; as well as a really cool tutorial on how to achieve the aqua glass effect from solarDreamStudios (the PSP tutorial has gone, it seems, but there is one for Fireworks amongst others).

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the info, I don't have Photoshop only Fireworks, I'm interested in glass and metallic effects, and natural plantlife/woody effects too. :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Maljonic

solarDreamStudios has some cool tutorials for Fireworks, particularly for the glass reflection effects. As for the other effects, I'm sure Google would reveal many sites offering tutorials. And, as I say, iStockPhoto has some great royalty-free imagery for a small fee, or there is StockVault for free images.

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom