The end of the bow?

K

Kaatar

I was looking at a list of abilities and I saw the "See Hidden" ability.

See Hidden

Automatically detect stealthed characters that don't have the "Detect Hidden" ability: Scouts, Hunters, Rangers, and Minstrels.

I planned on making a scout but it looks like there's no point in doing it if I'm just going to be killed by the Assassin classes whether or not I'm in stealth. Should I still make a Scout? Is this the end of the mighty long bow?

S

Sharp Thing

Originally posted by Kaatar

See Hidden

Automatically detect stealthed characters that don't have the "Detect Hidden" ability: Scouts, Hunters, Rangers, and Minstrels.

I planned on making a scout but it looks like there's no point in doing it if I'm just going to be killed by the Assassin classes whether or not I'm in stealth. Should I still make a Scout? Is this the end of the mighty long bow?
scout ahs been dead for the past 6months >.<

T

terrat

Rangers get camo at level 30 I believe....think that is supposed to help. But yeah...wtf is the point of being stealthed since all the assasins will be able to see you anyways.

T

Tobold

im gonna roll a scout, watch those SB BURRRRN¬!!!11

C

censi

I been moaning about archers for a long while now.

Basically the realms are full of assasins and these feed off the few archers that still have the endurence to play this class...

SH was the final nail in the coffin. Mythics ultimate way to start implementing its DAOC grp game ethos. Unfortunetly, it didnt really achieved this, just made most peeps quit or reroll as assasins.

Prior to the SH nerf the Archers victims were all given tools for defeating or avoiding death from the solo archer attacks. Im not just talking about mage self BT or Nightsight. Every class has a form of defense from being sniped.

Ontop of all the tools the other classes got, Mythic twisted the knife by hitting Archers with a massive load of class Nerfs... Bow damage was reduced (not sure but I think around 30%) Draw times changed, and more importantly Miss and Fumble rates were increase dramatically.

I still enjoy playing a ranger but the frustration is growing all the time. I fought a solo tank in odins today. I was buffed, I am capped in everything except 1% fire, have a total of 58 bow. After shooting a good 15 arrows from behind a tree and watching this fool run around in circles (not using /face) I was amazed... I was actually killing myself. I was using crush arrows and a MP heavy bow but was hiting this pole users (armsmen) for an average of about 80 damage. After 15 shots I had taken about 10% off him. But I had actually done more damage to myself in reverse procs. I just logged. The grp scenario is worse with PBT. and the SH nerf stops me soloing near the milegates (certain death)

Combine this with the fact that our 2 offensive RA's Volley and longshot are worthless (yes worthless) and you have a class that offers nothing to the game really.

I feel for Hunters and scouts cuz they get exactly the same performance...

I am gonna wait and see what (if any) changes come about in 1.62. If there are none Im quitting, Im not starting again.

But SH is beyond ridiculous.

Karlo let me play yog the other day who has SH. All I can say is Nerf infiltrators.

S

Sharp Thing

play shadowbane, archers are stil good there xD

C

censi

dont like the look or feel of Shadowbane though :(

my daoc days are numbered though

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Kaatar

See Hidden

see hidden is only bought by 30% off the assasin as there are to little archers to kill and way to many other assasins so they rather buy RA's that help them with assasin killing. Also camouflage does help a little bit, but still if you dont like playing a patient waiting game and you need to win a fight to get fun then dont play an archer.

Also dont attack tanks that is just useless only hit mages and other soft targets ;). and volley isnt worthless just censi doesnt play the way volley demands you to play so for him/her it IS useless. So dont listen to much to censi as he/she is a bittered ranger who has been nerfed too much ;).

C

CliffyG

Don't forget that 1.62 notes hinted at some help to all the archer classes :).

T

Tesla Monkor

I'll believe it when I see it.

Mythic's lied a few times too many, so far. ;D

H

Harm

Re: Re: The end of the bow?

Originally posted by driwen
see hidden is only bought by 30% off the assasin as there are to little archers to kill and way to many other assasins so they rather buy RA's that help them with assasin killing. Also camouflage does help a little bit, but still if you dont like playing a patient waiting game and you need to win a fight to get fun then dont play an archer.

Also dont attack tanks that is just useless only hit mages and other soft targets ;). and volley isnt worthless just censi doesnt play the way volley demands you to play so for him/her it IS useless. So dont listen to much to censi as he/she is a bittered ranger who has been nerfed too much ;).

I couldn't agree more about the first part. It really surprises me that it's by far everyone of the assassins that has See Hidden. I hear they claim it's "too expensive", "useless" etc.

C

censi

and volley isnt worthless just censi doesnt play the way volley demands you to play so for him/her it IS useless

Ok volley rocks go and get it.

Voley is no more than a mezz breaking slap in the face.

but then again you prolly think Long shot rocks to.

O

Olgark

Originally posted by censi
I been moaning about archers for a long while now.

Basically the realms are full of assasins and these feed off the few archers that still have the endurence to play this class...

SH was the final nail in the coffin. Mythics ultimate way to start implementing its DAOC grp game ethos. Unfortunetly, it didnt really achieved this, just made most peeps quit or reroll as assasins.

Prior to the SH nerf the Archers victims were all given tools for defeating or avoiding death from the solo archer attacks. Im not just talking about mage self BT or Nightsight. Every class has a form of defense from being sniped.

Ontop of all the tools the other classes got, Mythic twisted the knife by hitting Archers with a massive load of class Nerfs... Bow damage was reduced (not sure but I think around 30%) Draw times changed, and more importantly Miss and Fumble rates were increase dramatically.

I still enjoy playing a ranger but the frustration is growing all the time. I fought a solo tank in odins today. I was buffed, I am capped in everything except 1% fire, have a total of 58 bow. After shooting a good 15 arrows from behind a tree and watching this fool run around in circles (not using /face) I was amazed... I was actually killing myself. I was using crush arrows and a MP heavy bow but was hiting this pole users (armsmen) for an average of about 80 damage. After 15 shots I had taken about 10% off him. But I had actually done more damage to myself in reverse procs. I just logged. The grp scenario is worse with PBT. and the SH nerf stops me soloing near the milegates (certain death)

Combine this with the fact that our 2 offensive RA's Volley and longshot are worthless (yes worthless) and you have a class that offers nothing to the game really.

I feel for Hunters and scouts cuz they get exactly the same performance...

I am gonna wait and see what (if any) changes come about in 1.62. If there are none Im quitting, Im not starting again.

But SH is beyond ridiculous.

Karlo let me play yog the other day who has SH. All I can say is Nerf infiltrators.

Last I heard the draw times where increased again by 0.4 seconds. And the hunter self buffs where being nerfed again.

D

Driwen

Ok volley rocks go and get it.

Voley is no more than a mezz breaking slap in the face.

but then again you prolly think Long shot rocks to.

i will get volley and no long shot is shit. However i play ALOT in keep defense/attacks so haviing a GTAOE weapon is actually handy certainly when it increases my range. However if you camp mg's solo or run around in group for fg vs fg it sucks. It depends on how you play and can you actually be a little nicer and more open minded to people here?

and olgark where did you hear about the increased draw time and the self buff nerfs?

C

censi

its still useless in keep defenses. 1 slap in the face per timer.

For the amount of points it costs think what you could get instead.

Good RA's

augs
long wind
toughness
AOM (very uber RA)
MOP (good RA to)
Falcons eye (good RA)
IP/FA2
Purge

Rest are a bit duff tbh.

O

Olgark

VN boards from the test server in the US. They was saying it was a stealth nerf from Mythic.

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Olgark
VN boards from the test server in the US. They was saying it was a stealth nerf from Mythic.

it was a bug in patch .61 and it was removed :p

so you got a 4200 loc unit ability if aimed in the middle of 20 ppl will hit 3 times out off 5. you dont have to see them, so you could be safely hidden away and hitting ppl and IP costs 23 points uncluding FA. Which imo is a very high price for something i will rarely use as I usually die anyway with or without IP. and with end regen long wind 1 is the only one you need. Besides volley is a fun RA to have imo. Besides I hear lot off archers saying they like it and the most who say its shit are the ones who dont play in keep defence..

T

The Real Redi

I've made my opinions clear regarding assasins & see hidden -

An infiltrator relies on cunning, poisons and subterfuge to kill off a prone enemy, quickly and as silently as possible. They wear finely crafted leather armours, that are light so as to allow the wearer as much freedom of movement as possible, but to provide the just enough protection to deflect a blow, whilst fleeing from the scene of their crime.

Bowmen spend their lives, honing their senses to even the slightest movement, the tiniest sign of an enemy - They are Hunters, Rangers and Scouts. These are all professions which rely on keen sight and seeing things that others wouldnt (the lay of grass, the movement of trees, perhaps even the scent of the enemy/prey).

Tell me then, why do scouts not have the ability to see a stelathed infiltrator, from his foot falls on the flora or his shadow, cast in direct sinlight, yet assasins remain the sole masters of stealth - being able to both hide and see others trying to hide. They don't need it, for crying out loud!

My other point centres on why, when archers are entered into melee, do they drop like they are wearing paper armour, with poisoned spikes on the inside - even if they do get a decent range, they miss/fumble 60% of the shots they fire anyhow. Assasins, however, can somehow stand toe-2-toe with equal season tanks, and with the poisons and tinctures on their blades, can beat them? Surely it would only take 2, maybe three swings to puncture the flimsy leather gimp-suit, and cleave a slice from the wirey assailant?

Ok, evade loads - this is good, it gives the villain a chance to skip away with only the odd blow landing, but imo, assasins AND archers need a serious look at by those who are responsible for class balances...

then again, i don't have either an archer or an assasin, so i don't really know what im talking about - i'm going on common sense ;)

Z

Zebolt

hmm...

I was using crush arrows and a MP heavy bow but was hiting this pole users (armsmen) for an average of about 80 damage. After 15 shots I had taken about 10% off him.

hmm... 80 dmg, 15 times = 1200

and 1200 is 10%?! Nerf the armsman with 12000 Hits!! :p.

B

bulge

Found this on Camelot Herald .....

Small Pendragon Update
from Matt Firor
2003-04-24 18:21:01

We are in the process of putting up a small Pendragon patch that just fixes a few small bugs that were introduced in yesterday's update. The next real content patch will be early next week.

- Archer damage has been returned to normal - all arrows were hitting for half damage. This bug was introduced as we were testing a new "not ready for prime time" Archer feature. More on that next week.......

A new nerf in the offing? Who can say.......

M

Moodyard^_^

Re: hmm...

Originally posted by Zebolt
hmm... 80 dmg, 15 times = 1200

and 1200 is 10%?! Nerf the armsman with 12000 Hits!! :p.

block/miss/fumble? ^^

Z

Zebolt

hmm...

Oh, you think like that... Well, my math was good tho ;).

N

-Nxs-

Youll be ok with a scout, just play the character you will be happy with.

The assasin seeing stealth is good, but has its limitations. I think i read somewhere its 250 units +50 per stealth level above you.

So a scout with 50 stealth would be seen 250 units from an L50 assasin
A scout with 45 stealth would be seen for 500 units from a L50 assasin

B

Balbor

why not just team up with other archers and assassins. Any assassin that move in to kill a lone archer only to find its a lone archer with 2 assassins is gonna be in for a beating :). Assassins can only really kill lone targets, any assassin that moves in to kill a caster thats in a full group is committing suiside. Don't moan because you can't play the way you use to, just adapt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom