The Eagle.

Makarilli

Fledgling Freddie
I am an old romantic and sentimental fool but I can not help it. The verse-text is to be sung. It is a story of a young boy, death and love.
Posted here too as it could apply to all three realms and not just my "home" Midgard.

BOY.

The old boys are leaving, leaving one by one.
Where young birds go flying, spread your wings and run.
Over land and sea I`ll come fighting for you.
Over land and sea, a dawn is breaking for us.
Sweet is the breeze over Midgard.
The morning awaits you there.

Kissing his girl friend goodbye and waving to his mother. Proud he walked to the gathering point. His sword was new and shining in the first ray of light breaking over the hills. His bow was strong and his quer full of arrows. Oh how he wanted and had been longing for this day. Too young he was the Officer said, You are just a boy, still wet behind your ears. But this year he turned 18 and no one could say he was too young anymore.

GIRL.

Good happiness is shared.
Lost in a web of changes.
This could be the last dance
Waltzing in the wind
Till the minstrel comes to save us.

There he kissed her goodbye to follow his dream. Tears came up in her eyes. The whole long warm summer she had been with him. Joy and folly in the coloured fields and she loved him dearly. Too long it was to winter solstice when he should return. To her. Until then she would cling to the memories of the pale warm nights lying below the cloudless sky.

MOTHER.

As I walk these shores I am the history within.
Crushed by a million suns Here the heart of you lies
Take this hand I will always protect you

But it`s one short road from the darkened craddle
To the endless light of day.
He walked down the aisle of his childhood
And the frontdoor opened and the men came walking
With heads of silver and eyes of grey

For years she had known this day would come. The day when her son would leave and follow the call of his heart. She remembered him as just a little boy, tumbling around with his wooden sword and shield. Crying for her when he fell in the rough play. If just he never had grown up. If just he could have been her little boy forever. Safe in her arms. Needing her. But years go by and nothing stays forever as it was. Yet it was with a heavy heart and with regrets she saw him wave goodbye with a happy sunshining smile on his face. That smile always had broke her anger or yelling at him. His girl friend cried but she swollowed her own tears and turned around. She would not ruin his happiness but her heart was grieved and heavy with sorrow.

BOY.

The road was long, our steps new
The storms of innocense
Strong and fresh they blew
We stood like gods before
Our maps and plans that morning dawn.

We stood in line we laughed
In silhouette on the frosen ground
The place we loved the best
That was our final time
out in the West
But all things must change
So don`t look back, just walk away.

He stod in the courtyard and the clamour of battle outside frightened him but he held his spirit high. Not one arrow had he loosened yet and his sword was still unused. The officer called his group to the walls and with his comrades he climbed the stairs to the battlement. Up here the noice was louder and he heard clearly the cries of battle, pain and death. He dared a glimps out the arrow slit and saw people lying in blod stained dust and his new friend trying to reach safety. Crawling. But the young boy newer reach it before a tall and broad enemy hewed his head in two, smashing his head, with a great dobbelbladed axe.

He reached for his bow and nocked an arrow, stepped sidewards for aiming through the arrow slit when another arrow from outside hitted him deep in the chest and he fell backwards down on the wooden floor.
Blod began to pour out coloring the wood while he looked up in the sky.

So blue it was, darker in the east promising the early evening and night. It was already cold. Had it been snowing ? he could`nt remeber but he thought so because it was wet benieth him but what strange color the snow had. Maybe it was not snow but he was lying out in the strawberry fields with his girl friend. He thought he heard his mother calling him home but it was so wonderful out here under the sky.

He looked up again and high above an eagle was flying, circling around right above him. As he watched it it climbed higher and higher, flying free in the wind.

”Look my dearest friend, Look at the eagle” but she was not there. Where had she gone ? Now she missed the breathtaking wiev of the young eagle. Higher it went and was nearly out of his eyes range. He tried to turn his head and look for her but he could not take his eyes away from the bird as it slowly vanished out of his sight.

GIRL.
Now the autumn leaves are falling
we`ll meet on the edges.
Memories, no regrets.
Now the minstrel boy is calling.

MOTHER.
What kind of heroes here for us now
Dark the day, dark the night
low hang the lights over Bledmeer.
This night will day see no more.

BOY.
The old boys are leaving
Leaving one by one
Where young birds go flying
Spread your wings and run.
But over the fields by the hard stone walls
An eagle will come no more.

CHOR.
But as long as I can see the morning
and blossom comes to bud again in spring
It`s enough to keep me still believing
your memory is everything.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to C. and R. Macdonald and the crew of Runrig for over the last 20 years providing, to me, the most wonderful poems and melodies of which I have freely used directly and indirectly for inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom