The developers of daoc are insane..

Oldfaravid

Fledgling Freddie
From a q and a on the new Vampiir class...
"Q: Here’s another for the design team: What is the design reason behind the Vampiir being unable to receive buffs from other players?

A: I asked, and ye shall receive: "The Vampiir has "built in" buffs, in that it receives extra bonuses to constitution, strength, dexterity and quickness as it levels. This is done at a rate of 3/3/3/2, meaning that for each level, the Vampiir receives 3 constitution, 3 strength, 3 dexterity and 2 quickness points, beginning at level 6 (EDITED 12/13/04 - mistakenly said 5). For example, at level 16, a Vampiir would have +33 to strength,

+33 to constitution, +33 to dexterity and +22 to dexterity."

-----The fact that BBs is so widely used in the game they are making a class that can compete without a buffbot... They are either high on drugs or they are just stupid...

Further they dont seem to have a clue to what they are really creating they are just putting stuff in there and forcing something new into the game..----

"Q: Regarding the Vampiir class and spellcasting, what is the primary casting stat?

A: The power pool is "filled" using melee, not the more traditional stats - so the vampiir is a casting class unto itself.

When I gave the player who asked that question this answer, he kindly replied with a clarification for me:

Q: I understand that, but my question doesn't concern the power pool. I'm wondering what the base attribute is that the spells and spell damage is determined by. I'm not going to get greater spell damage from speccing Piercing or from having a higher Strength. While that will increase my power gain, it won't affect spell damage. Training the spell lines will increase damage and reduce variance, but there must be an Attribute that is connected as well, else the class is limited to the stated damage in the spell description.

I.e., with my sorcerer's lifetap, I do (for instance) 100 dmg normally, and 155 dmg if I have a good acuity buff applied, all else being the same. Higher INT equates to higher dmg on the same target. So what I wondered was what Attribute affected spell damage for the Vampiir?

A: Now I understand (and I suspected I was missing something, which was why I replied to the player personally, something I don’t usually have the luxury of doing) – the question required information from someone on the design team, not me. The answer I received from that team surprised me: “There is no stat that affects the Vampiir's power pool or the damage done by its power based spells. The Vampiir is not a focus based class like, say, an Enchanter." The Vampiir is a lot more cut and dried than the typical casting class.

EDIT, 12/13/04 - I was told today that this answer is not entirely accurate. While there is no stat that affects the damage dealt (in the way that intelligence or piety affects how much damage a more traditional caster can do), the Vampiir's power pool capacity is intended to be increased as the Vampiir's strength increases."

They dont have a CLUE what they are doing!! The release of WoW is in perfect timing cause THIS GAME IS GETTING MORE SAD FOR EVERY PATCH! :kissit:

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
Seems they are working that class the same way the fury system works for warriors in WOW, which is a pain in the arse belive me :eek:

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Buh-bye now, I think you've made your point, have fun in WoW. :rolleyes:

Helme

Resident Freddy
Have fun in WoW i for sure wont miss you mr doomsayer, and for the vampiir's i think its a nice class, with minor flaws sure. But else :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
the vampiir isnt worse then any of the other new classes imo..

and who cares if it cant use a buffbot? 90% of the fking RVR population use one anyway! with the Vampiir, those that for various reasons cant have a BB account get to play on more or less equal terms again if they choose to roll one.. and for the majority that dont wanna reroll to hib just to play a Vampiir, the situation wont change anyway. so dont worry, those of u that use BB's will still "pwn" those that dont....

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Well reading around a bit on VNboards it seems that the vampiir is not that good as you make it to be.
Heard Warlocks are the most overpowered class in Catacombs (can basically 1 shot all casters) but heard vampiir's aren't all that good.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I guess it depends on how you look at it, as a Shaman I really Hate buffing in combat. It's a supreme pain in the ass which drives me crazy, especially when my target is running in and out of my casting range and yet still had the time to scream...

"GIVF END!"
"GIVF STR/CON!"
"GIVF DEX/QUI!"

I suppose with some of these new classes, that problem is kind of removed. Yes you can't buff them, but on the other hand that means they arn't 'useless' just after being ressed.

Oh, and of course. It would be a nice class to play for those people who don't want / can't afford a buffbot, really. People spend so much time complaining about buffbots and then when something like this comes out it's suddenly a cardinal sin based on one Q&A.

In any case, i'll be ducking and covering now. ;)

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
A massive plus for Vampiirs is that they can't be buffstripped either, and they can buffstrip you just fine (one of their spell lines has this utility). As mentioned in the thread above, no other class ingame is back on it''s feet as fast as a rezzed Vamp. :)

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
Oh, and of course. It would be a nice class to play for those people who don't want / can't afford a buffbot, really.
I suspect that was also why this class has been given to Hibernia, as most underpopulated realm in general across all servers. This class is most likely to attract new and casual players who don't want a bot and get them started off in Hibernia - where hopefully they will then roll other classes as alts.

So it could all be part of a cunning plan to balance realm populations by bringing more people to Hibernia... Although it will probably turn out to be similar to Baldrick's cunning plans in that it most likely won't work! :rolleyes:

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
I look forward to the expansion having a manual just for this class, took me ages to figure out how necros worked, and thanx to a fellow player sending my a nice SS of his setup and instructions, i got it in the end.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
They are making a class that can compete without the use of a BB for hib! You mean they get something comparable to a friar or bonedancer? Just sick ¬.¬

Stop you're whining, let em get on with their job.

NumLock

Fledgling Freddie
Tsabo said:
They are making a class that can compete without the use of a BB for hib! You mean they get something comparable to a friar or bonedancer? Just sick ¬.¬

Stop you're whining, let em get on with their job.

And champions are what?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
omg! a class that's different!

heaven forbid they don't just clone old classes for the expansions...

Leleith

Fledgling Freddie
Oldfaravid said:
They dont have a CLUE what they are doing!! The release of WoW is in perfect timing cause THIS GAME IS GETTING MORE SAD FOR EVERY PATCH! :kissit:

Who´s forcing you to play the game? Dont understand why EVERYONE thats planning to play the damn WoW, just CANT leave daoc without puking on it in these forums , just one more time. Let the rest of us, whos not planning to leave, play the game and decide for ourselves if we still like it or not.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
im actually looking forward to catacombs, my zerker gets transformed into a care bare, but i heard good things about the pve in catacombs

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
Alithiel said:
I suspect that was also why this class has been given to Hibernia, as most underpopulated realm in general across all servers. This class is most likely to attract new and casual players who don't want a bot and get them started off in Hibernia - where hopefully they will then roll other classes as alts.

So it could all be part of a cunning plan to balance realm populations by bringing more people to Hibernia... Although it will probably turn out to be similar to Baldrick's cunning plans in that it most likely won't work! :rolleyes:

I agree in that it might attract a fair few players to start with but Reavers and Valewalkers are testimony to the fact that very powerful (almost overpowered) classes are not always popular if they lack a simple play style.

The fact that vamps can't spec for everything and have to be played with finesse will, I believe, damn them into being the preserve of the unorthodox few.

I actually reckon the Valkyrie is a far more powerful toon, very similar to the Reaver and should make an excellent caster/stealther killer.

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
I can't understand the negativity surrounding what is already being recognised in the US as an excellent expansion. Players are already returning from WoW because Catacombs makes DaoC a far better game.

The only black cloud with Catacombs for me is the lack of a third server, or at least one on which I could converse. I want to play Heretic, Vampiir and Valkyrie..which leaves me having to play 2 Realms on the same server as well as having to purchase extra accounts.

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
Chronictank said:
im actually looking forward to catacombs, my zerker gets transformed into a care bare, but i heard good things about the pve in catacombs

doesnt look as good as a carebear imo, look like some sort of naff man/dog hybrid

Prolly because of all the carebear zerkers wajning about how they get beat on when they zerk up, goes with the territory ^^

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
Poon said:
doesnt look as good as a carebear imo, look like some sort of naff man/dog hybrid

Prolly because of all the carebear zerkers wajning about how they get beat on when they zerk up, goes with the territory ^^

I always thought a Piper Fairy morph would have been more approprite post-LA nerf :)

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Leleith said:
Who´s forcing you to play the game? Dont understand why EVERYONE thats planning to play the damn WoW, just CANT leave daoc without puking on it in these forums , just one more time. Let the rest of us, whos not planning to leave, play the game and decide for ourselves if we still like it or not.

It's simple. They want to/have quit DAoC but aren't quite convinced yet. There is still a doubt in their head because they still like DAoC. In an attempt to remove this doubt they try to convince as many people as possible to leave as well hoping that by convincing others they will convince themselves.

And yes, Catacombs is received extremely well in the states. And no WoW isn't heaven it's just another mmorpg with the same good and bad things other mmorpg's have.

So people leaving for WoW. Have fun in that new world! And concider letting people who chose not to come with you enjoy their game.

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
Skilgannon said:
I always thought a Piper Fairy morph would have been more approprite post-LA nerf :)

Thats why real men used 2h zerk skills, 1k+ hits cheers :eek:

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
Shanaia said:
And yes, Catacombs is received extremely well in the states. And no WoW isn't heaven it's just another mmorpg with the same good and bad things other mmorpg's have.
this cant be true, americans whine about everything? :p maybe its a sign that the expansion will be the best thing ever? :)

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
bare in mind that vampiirs at level 50 do not recieve the MAX bonus that you can get from a buff (155 for s/c/d) but rather 'only' +132 s/c/d from their ability. and 88qui instead of 93 :>
i heard a rumour that they increase again on an RR ding, but this hasnt been confirmed yet.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Shanaia said:
So people leaving for WoW. Have fun in that new world! And concider letting people who chose not to come with you enjoy their game.
Well said. :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Hansmoleman said:
this cant be true, americans whine about everything? :p maybe its a sign that the expansion will be the best thing ever? :)

it's not just the americans ;) (or did FH become whinefree when I wasn't looking? :))

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
it's not just the americans ;) (or did FH become whinefree when I wasn't looking? :))

There was a 5-minute recorded whinefree history I believe

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Oldfaravid said:

I tell u what, when u write a game, convince me to buy it and and keep me playing after nearly 3 years i'll give you a pat on the back and a cookie.

Until then stfu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom