The balance of power within DAoC EU

O

old.Revz

I don't know whether anyone else takes even a passing interest in what is happening on the other servers but I've just had a quick look at each of them. Going by relics held (which is normally a decent indicator) it seems that, unsuprisingly, one realm is either totally dominant or one realm is completely dominated. For instance :

Code:
Prydwen     - Midgard:  6 relics
Stonehenge  - Midgard:  6 relics
Avalon      - Albion:   6 relics
Orcanie     - Hibernia: 5 relics, Albion:   1 relic
Logres      - Midgard:  4 relics, Hibernia: 2 relics
Excalibur   - Albion:   4 relics, Hibernia: 2 relics
Lyonesse    - Albion:   4 relics, Midgard:  1 relic,  Hibernia: 1 relic
Ys          - Midgard:  3 relics, Albion:   3 relics
Broceliande - Midgard:  3 relics, Albion:   2 relics, Hibernia: 1 relic

Now I know the situation is fluid (on Prydwen Midgard was down to only one relic only a month ago) but the general trend seems a reasonably accurate one. On three servers one realm is in total dominance (holds all the relics), on four servers one realm is highly dominant (holds 4 or 5 relics) and on the remaining two there is at least one realm out in front (holding 3 relics).

The thing is although one realm is generally "winning" at some point there always seems to be a badly losing realm or realms. If you look at the servers there are only two where all realms hold at least one relic, most of the time one or both of the lesser realms is totally squeezed out in RvR.

I for one will be very interested to see the stats when someone finally pulls their finger out at GOA and gives us the XML. It would be nice to see whether the "winning" realms have any population size advantage over the others (I'm not talking absolute population because all those lower levels don't add up to much in terms of overall power), particularly within the 45-50 crowd.

It is interesting to note from the US servers that Midgard went into early dominance on them (because of a percieved or real advantage in terms of better classes causing a lot of powergamers to start/reroll there). This was followed by a short resurgance of Hibernia due to favourable patching and fixing of some classes and finally Albion went into the lead in a lot of places because despite having the largest population for the most part it took many, many months for a lot of the ordinary players in that realm to level up to a point where they are any use.

O

old.chesnor

The problem with statistics like this is that they are a snapshot, and have no context. Looking at those stats, for example, it would appear that Midgard on Excalibur is in some way gimped. Clearly this is not the case (PLS DONT START A FLAME THREAD) and I personally think that Excalibur is evenly balanced right now.
The only way these figures can every say anything is when you look at trends.

Also I don't think relics held is a particularly good example, especiaily on servers with a high lvl50 population. I was looking at some stats for the US servers yesterday, and although Albion (on most servers) has a big population advantage (probably more of each level) it appears that the biggest RP earners on most servers are the Hibbys...go figure..

O

old.Tzeentch

What would work is a graph of sorts detailing the RvR stats over a month, then we'd see whether it was a balanced relic-passing, or a clearly dominant realm.

S

Solid

add to that the level ranges of players logged on at any given time, that would be awesome.

T

Trahg

I might do some sort of software that keeps track of the stats and present an average of all stats. Tough, this will be a project later on and it will not be "online" until September-October since i won't have any descent connection until then. But it would be really interesting... :)

O

old.LandShark

Excalibur is not alb-dominated, despite us having 4 relics. Barely a week ago, Midgard had 4, albion had 1, hibernia had the rest.

Hard to determine whether a realm is dominatant. You could argue that population = dominance in some cases, which i guess is true in extreme cases (such as some of the US servers, or prydwen in the early days of EU daoc). But then, albion Excal has higher population than either other realm, and like i've said it's still pretty fluid.

O

old.Dwen

Originally posted by old.Revz
I don't know whether anyone else takes even a passing interest in what is happening on the other servers but I've just had a quick look at each of them. Going by relics held (which is normally a decent indicator) it seems that, unsuprisingly, one realm is either totally dominant or one realm is completely dominated. For instance :

Code:
Prydwen     - Midgard:  6 relics
Stonehenge  - Midgard:  6 relics
Avalon      - Albion:   6 relics
Orcanie     - Hibernia: 5 relics, Albion:   1 relic
Logres      - Midgard:  4 relics, Hibernia: 2 relics
Excalibur   - Albion:   4 relics, Hibernia: 2 relics
Lyonesse    - Albion:   4 relics, Midgard:  1 relic,  Hibernia: 1 relic
Ys          - Midgard:  3 relics, Albion:   3 relics
Broceliande - Midgard:  3 relics, Albion:   2 relics, Hibernia: 1 relic

Now I know the situation is fluid (on Prydwen Midgard was down to only one relic only a month ago) but the general trend seems a reasonably accurate one. On three servers one realm is in total dominance (holds all the relics), on four servers one realm is highly dominant (holds 4 or 5 relics) and on the remaining two there is at least one realm out in front (holding 3 relics).

The thing is although one realm is generally "winning" at some point there always seems to be a badly losing realm or realms. If you look at the servers there are only two where all realms hold at least one relic, most of the time one or both of the lesser realms is totally squeezed out in RvR.

I for one will be very interested to see the stats when someone finally pulls their finger out at GOA and gives us the XML. It would be nice to see whether the "winning" realms have any population size advantage over the others (I'm not talking absolute population because all those lower levels don't add up to much in terms of overall power), particularly within the 45-50 crowd.

It is interesting to note from the US servers that Midgard went into early dominance on them (because of a percieved or real advantage in terms of better classes causing a lot of powergamers to start/reroll there). This was followed by a short resurgance of Hibernia due to favourable patching and fixing of some classes and finally Albion went into the lead in a lot of places because despite having the largest population for the most part it took many, many months for a lot of the ordinary players in that realm to level up to a point where they are any use.

Let me tell you this on prydwen Midgard is the lowest populated realm, we are just better organized ;)

P

- Pathfinder -

Re: Re: The balance of power within DAoC EU

Originally posted by old.Dwen

Let me tell you this on prydwen Midgard is the lowest populated realm, we are just better organized ;)

LoL, more jokes :clap:

O

old.Lianuchta

Sure mate :rolleyes: . I agree you have fewer than the Albs, but us Hibs rarely break the 300 barrier :(

Post 1.51 Hibernia seems to be on the ascendant in the US, with the advent of insta-mezz for bards and the dissappearance of the Midgard/Albion powergamers to Mordred and Andred.

C

Coren

Re: Re: Re: The balance of power within DAoC EU

Originally posted by old.Lianuchta
and the dissappearance of the Midgard/Albion powergamers to Mordred and Andred.

Then again, these powergamers made mainly Hibernian characters there. Go figure. :p

O

old.Revz

As pointed out I seriously doubt you have less than Hibernia. I would also be very interested to see the hard evidence from the XML about population and levels in both realms. Two months ago Midgard had over 70 level 50 characters defending the amg after a relic raid. Albion broke 30 online level 50s this weekend for the first time to my knowledge. I doubt you have less than 100 level 50s now unless you've sat on your hands for two months :)

1 level 50 is worth more than hundreds of level 20s :)

O

old.Dwen

We may have many lvl 50's but we rarely see em, if we have to defend relics all we can come up with is 30 - 40 people against maybe 70 - 80 usually albs, and from these 30 - 40 people maybe 15 of em is lvl 50 the rest is high 30 - mid 40 so go figure how we manage to defend relic keep and MG's at same time, dont have any other explenation then we are better organized :)

G

Gimly

We may have many lvl 50's but we rarely see em, if we have to defend relics all we can come up with is 30 - 40 people against maybe 70 - 80 usually albs, and from these 30 - 40 people maybe 15 of em is lvl 50 the rest is high 30 - mid 40 so go figure how we manage to defend relic keep and MG's at same time, dont have any other explenation then we are better organized :)

Or maybe you are just wrong with your figures :p

S

SFXman

Hibernia has somewhere around 23% of Prydwen player base... or summit in that direction... heard it somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom