Games The 3 Flashing Red Lights of d00m [xbox]

Cozak

Part of the furniture
So i started getting random freezes in game on my xbox 360 went to the website tech support bit followed the instructions on how to fix it, one of them being to remove the hdd, which i did. when i put it back in it refused to load anything and just gave me the 3 flashing red lights on the front :(

so i sent off a request for a repair, seems they are going to send out a box i can ship off my xbox in to get it repaired, free of charge due to said flashing red lights. but this can take up to a month, and a month without battlefield 1943 would suck a bit.

Anyone had experience with this, does it actually take a month or is there an easy fix they havent mentioned i can do at home or something??

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
RedRingOfDeath%281%29.png

Nothing you can do really.

Worst case scenario, they won't fix your box 'cause you took out the HD, even if they told to do it :eek:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They say a month to cover their arses but it actually takes about 2 weeks. Goto xbox.com, select your country, either log the repair online with your serial number or call the freephone number and arrange collection and repair that way.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
My mates gone through 3 xbox's and one was the black HDMI super duper xbox360. That one lasted a week!

Some people wrap cold towells around the xbox. I heard its something to do with the poor ventilation which causes the machine to heat up and bend something in the console. I also heard something about a new xbox360 (some weird ass codename) which has fixed this issue. Maybe the new ones no longer fail?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Worst case scenario, they won't fix your box 'cause you took out the HD, even if they told to do it :eek:

Erm no... the 360 harddrive is removal and changeable without invalidating your warranty.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Erm no... the 360 harddrive is removal and changeable without invalidating your warranty.

I didn't say it was legal or how it works, but that's CS for ya.

"I bought a PC from you and now it's borked."
"I'm sorry sir, we don't fix PCs here." :lol:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah, so you had no idea, but thought you'd contribute anyway?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, so you had no idea, but thought you'd contribute anyway?

Contributed more then you.

Customer service sometimes crap, we all know this. Even had experience on crappy xbox CS.

I said worst case, also said that one can't fix the red ring themself.

So f*ck off :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Take off the hdd and any addons you have (including faceplates if you bought them)
Remove any dvd's
Box up the xbox only (not in the original packaging as they just send it back in a brown box)
Use the extended warranty on xbox.com

Mine took a week or so to replace, courier turns up to pick it up then they send it back via courier again.

If its the first time you called them you get a month free on XBL

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
My mates gone through 3 xbox's and one was the black HDMI super duper xbox360. That one lasted a week!

Some people wrap cold towells around the xbox. I heard its something to do with the poor ventilation which causes the machine to heat up and bend something in the console. I also heard something about a new xbox360 (some weird ass codename) which has fixed this issue. Maybe the new ones no longer fail?

The new ones with die shrunk CPU/GPU and a better cooling system are the 'Jasper' models, pretty much anything manufactured since March 2009 uses these board models. They draw less power, produce less heat and move the remaining heat away more effciently. For those reasons alone they are more reliable, the problem hasn't totally gone away but RRoD is very rare on the newer models unless they are placed in very hot rooms with poor ventilation for prolonged periods of gaming.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
They say a month to cover their arses but it actually takes about 2 weeks. Goto xbox.com, select your country, either log the repair online with your serial number or call the freephone number and arrange collection and repair that way.

Yeah did this, just waiting for them to email me through the label that I need to print off to stick on the box, seems to be taking a little while though. Do they send a box as well or do I need to get one sorted at the post office?

Chronictank said:
If its the first time you called them you get a month free on XBL

This is cool =)

Thanks for the replies guys, glad it doesnt take too long to get sorted!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Yeah did this, just waiting for them to email me through the label that I need to print off to stick on the box, seems to be taking a little while though. Do they send a box as well or do I need to get one sorted at the post office?

You need to get your own box i am afraid, any box will do so long as you label it properly (they send you the label)
Just put plastic carrier bags as padding if you need to

The courier just turns up and gets the box,

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Thanks man, just sorting out the UPS business now, its a bit confusing though.. do xbox send me a label with where it is meant to be going or will the UPS people know?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
the one in our house had RRoD but miraculously started working again a few days later, shame it sounds like a jet engine still though :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Just make sure you don't send them any cables etc, you won't get them back.

Zede

Part of the furniture
lots of stuff on youtube regarding DIY fixes.

my neighbour ended up putting the parts affected in the freezer, it worked !

Chronictank

FH is my second home
lots of stuff on youtube regarding DIY fixes.

my neighbour ended up putting the parts affected in the freezer, it worked !

why void your warranty when you dont have to :p

@Cozak
It will say in the e-mail mate, i think it was the top and 1 side or something like that

soze

I am a FH squatter
I read the 360 failure rate is around 54% is that accurate? seemingly its higher than advertised as some people have had 6 failed xboxes ect, both of mine are fine with no problems but neither is "stressed"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom