Thanes with shield

H

Haroc

Lvl 50 thane here with 42+13 shield and aug dex 2 and MoB 2,
that gives me 67 shield and 137 dex unbuffed,

when im buffed in pve i block ok, about 8 of 10 from a yellow then, and in RvR i block about 1 of 5 fully buffed, i just wanna know if this is normal?
i know thanes get lower dex than warriors but is it suppose to be this bad?

when im unbuffed in rvr i have like 5% block or something i dont know if i should have more but my 42+13 and MoB 2 feels kind of useless if i am to block this bad.

and when im doing pve with the thane i block about the same against a blue mob than a paladin blocks against an red mob, at least thats whats the logg said when we tryed it. and i mean should 67 shield and 137 dex be so bad when you fight a orange that you block less than 30%?. if you block so bad when used almost 40% of your specc points i would rather go 2h.

i just wanna know if you other thanes have this problem, because from my points of view thanes have some sort of bugg blocking when a paladin seems to block ahell of alot more, i know the melee chars should block more and they do but just because im a hybrid does it mean my 67 points in shield are totally wasted as i only block 1-2 of 5 hits in rvr when fully buffed? or are thanes just on some sort of bugg, and yes i know DW makes you block like a fuck but im not talking about merc bms and infs , i can block like this against minstrels and such, im beging to think playing a bard for melee is better than thane.

something else which is bothering me is that i seem to have period when i block more and periods when i block little, like sometimes i block 5 in a row in pve and sometimes the mob hit me like 10 in a row then i block 5 in a row.
and so on. this also appears in the guards situations, when i do block the one i guard which i never do, but when i do i allways seem to block 3 in a row then i dont block anything for half an hour, i know you might say it might just be bad luck and the situations. but i have seen this over and over again for almost 6 month, im sure something is wrong, a paladin which have the same chance to block as a thane block so much more, or at least thats what the paladins are saying

FYI i use TG shield and TG hammer and my dex is capped and my str is capped and my hammer is capped så i have the best possible WS i can have and i have the best possible stats for blocking aswell.

V

VodkaFairy

1) Depends who you fight (1h, 2h or dw, their weaponskill)
2) Depends on your luck

Try to fight an unbuffed rank 2 minstrel and you will block much more than against a buffed rank 9 dual wielder for example...

blocking has 2x penalty against dual wielders, and if you wonder why you only block 1/5 hits against an infil, its cause they 1) dual wield and 2) are almost always buffed

B

Brynn

Im a paladin wiht 140-ish unbuffed dex afaik (aint been ingame for a while) with 50 + 14 sheild and MoB 2. I block pretty well in rvr - however like VF said when i come against dual weilders its more shady.

I can regularly beat a guildie rr6 merc - however it is really touch and go coz he could get the upper hand and just win. However their are other times when i block like crazy.

I always loose to a guildie frijah - i know crush blah blah - but i very rarly block any of his attacks.

im using a MP small sheild and Sidi Wraithbound Warsword - dunno if they have any effect on the stats :p

H

Haroc

AS I SAID!
I BLOCK THIS VERSUS MINSTRELS VS CLERICS VS ANY GOD DAMN CLASS THERE IS

read the thane tl report and delete the thanes

F

Flimgoblin

more dex = better blocking (hence you do better when buffed)

them having more weaponskill = less blocking for j00

so, if you fight a pure tank rather than a hybrid you'll block less.
If they're buffed they'll be harder to block than if not.

You can only block if they're in your front arc too - and lag sometimes affects this in a moving fight.

Also dual wield will halve your chances to block - so mercenaries/blademasters/nightshades/infiltrators are a pain.

Additionally if you have more attackers you'll not be able to block them all - if you have a small shield instead of a large shield you'll only be able to block one of them.

the reason you get 10 blocks then 10 hits etc. is that the random number generator is streaky - which if it wasn't it wouldn't be very random :) it's just luck

And don't delete your thane - the problems they have are the same as friars, champions, valewalkers and every other hybrid. They have the wonderful luck of also getting the caster problems too.

T

Tasans

With 55 shield and mob3 i block a lot...in pve.
Im not insane enough to go rvr.

T

Tasans

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
And don't delete your thane - the problems they have are the same as friars, champions, valewalkers and every other hybrid. They have the wonderful luck of also getting the caster problems too.

Tho every other hybrid > thane.
Possibly every other non gimped speced class > thane.

A

Archeon

Originally posted by Tasans

Lies, Thanes > Savages imo - Midgard doesn't run enough FoTY one-button thane gank groups (with over-powered Static Tempest RA's) ;)

P

PaqMan

I block ok..

I have a standard spec I think(42shield,44weapon,46sc) and everything capped + chain colors that just might make enemies stop a second and think 'pretty.' and give me little more time..

Against mobs its a block-o-rama feast..

Blocked/slammmed pretty ok in DF one day against som albs when they got DF. Still died eventually but it was nice to hear those 'thud thud thud' block sounds while they were on me.

I have no clue why block works or not, and I don't really care.. I only play the game, Im not going to write an essay about it..

I think though that blocking less in rvr then pve could be because mobs block chance are calculated more 'simple' and in RvR, when fighting characters its more variables included(like their vs your ws and stuff) so the chance to get a 'bad' block gets bigger due to random factor X or so..

Ah well, have fun :)

Edit:
and my dex is capped and my str is capped and my hammer is capped
Have you capped shield skill?

F

-Freezingwiz-

well with a pally guard bot with 50 shield +15 and MoB 5 I only get hit 50% of the time with 1 on me 0o that makes pbaoe funneh :p

50 shield 4 tehwin !!!11:D

H

Haroc

well the thing is my friend who have played my thane things its all very wierd, you people say i pve its block o rama and mobs cant even hit me.

My thane have never seen this, maybe against a blue when im fully buffed but since my friend have paladins and armsmans say they block against a red just as good as my thane block against a blue and against a red i block about nothing at all, its like i have perma Res illness. have anyheard of this?

O

ormagaa

Originally posted by Haroc

when im buffed in pve i block ok

when im unbuffed in rvr i have like 5% block or something

You should do good in pve with that,
but when it comes to rvr...

hardly anyone goes into rvr unbuffed these days,
buffs via group, or buffbot. There arent that many brave souls that goes without it, and since you are, you block like shit.
nothing strange about that.

Also race tells quite alot about your blocking.

My troll warrior buffed has ~290dex, 50+15 shield mob3
i still dont block as much as i want to =].

I wish i had rolled norse......

T

Tasans

well the thing is my friend who have played my thane things its all very wierd, you people say i pve its block o rama and mobs cant even hit me.

My thane have never seen this, maybe against a blue when im fully buffed but since my friend have paladins and armsmans say they block against a red just as good as my thane block against a blue and against a red i block about nothing at all, its like i have perma Res illness. have anyheard of this?

Yeap the perma rs is because you are a thane.
But i dont think rs has something to do with blocking.
Considering my gimp finished a fight with a purple nm without getting hit its weird you cant block.

S

splash0r

Re: Re: Thanes with shield

Originally posted by ormagaa
You should do good in pve with that,
but when it comes to rvr...

hardly anyone goes into rvr unbuffed these days,
buffs via group, or buffbot. There arent that many brave souls that goes without it, and since you are, you block like shit.
nothing strange about that.

Also race tells quite alot about your blocking.

I wish i had rolled norse......

gimp !!! :p

L

Lomald Umilinn

try play divious and you will have a whole new vision of thanes.
seing what he can do he > savages by 5 times if not even more.
Last time i played him fully buffed a full group had problems penetrating his 42+20 shield.

(ok ok .. he is rr10 but still a thane)

H

hiban

Cant be arsed to read all replies here. (might have the anwer in some post here already.) But: in PvE you fight unbuffed and unstyling mobs. In RvR you fight styling people with weapon spec, that are buffed to the tits. Might have something to do with it?

Cheers

H

hiban

Something else which is bothering me is that i seem to have period when i block more and periods when i block little, like sometimes i block 5 in a row in pve and sometimes the mob hit me like 10 in a row then i block 5 in a row.

Same with all skills: Evade, parry, block... It happends. Nothing to do about it.

N

noaim

Re: Re: Thanes with shield

Originally posted by ormagaa

DUEL SPEC!!! DUEL SPEC!!! QQ

You must get IP!!! ;)

N

necrofill

Originally posted by -Freezingwiz-
well with a pally guard bot with 50 shield +15 and MoB 5 I only get hit 50% of the time with 1 on me 0o that makes pbaoe funneh :p

50 shield 4 tehwin !!!11:D

U got a cap on 50% for parry, evade and block (not against arrow more like 100%)

and to all there says something about duel against dw users try read the post he says it happen against minstrels there most got 30+ rr+ sc in slash/thrust and also that about buffed he said he was full buffed!!

and btw dont all classes got the same chance for block if they got same dex, same shield spec, same RA's there affect blocking etc.?? or just me??

K

Kindar

Originally posted by necrofill
U got a cap on 50% for parry, evade and block (not against arrow more like 100%)

I thought only evade had a 50% cap, due to stealthers could get pretty high in evade chance?

I've never heard about a cap on parry and block, cause my rr3 warrior blocks loads more than 50%...else its just my luck stepping in or something.

S

Sichama

Never heard of a cap on block/parry myself, my understanding is that only evade has the 50% cap.

Now about everything else, WS also affects your block rate, not in the sense that the higher it is you have better block rate but that the difference of your WS and your opponents WS affects chance of block, positive if it's higher, negative if it's lower add to that that your shield is only at 42 you probably have the reason, not very helpfull though as you probably can't afford to take it to 50, but is your weapon skill at least 50?

If neither Shield and Weapon is 50, i think you shouldn't expect much from your shield.

O

old.Icebreaker

There is no cap for blocks.

The difference btw RvR and PvE blocking is that Mobs usually dont use styles and have no to hit bonus = funky blocking. In RvR it's different. Styles etc....Archers for example dont have the to hit thing and Shield Users block the Arrows very easy. High Dex is important for blocking.

Ps. Ignore my spelling :D

Z

Zoldot

Originally posted by Tasans

I guess u talking overall.

in 1v1 it's hard to beat thane if both unbuffed, tho palas might win due to their end, but thane should win if they are allowed to use end potions.

Now when ppl talk about classes it's almost always with buffs since it's very rare to find someone who doesn't use buffbot :p

I might be wrong now I havent played for months, but when I played it was no melee class about same RR that I couldn't beat 1v1.

I know paladins are hard but I dont think I ever lost to a paladin wich was unbuffed. I might have lost to a very high RR paladin but that imo doesn't count's :)

N

necrofill

Originally posted by Zoldot
I guess u talking overall.

in 1v1 it's hard to beat thane if both unbuffed, tho palas might win due to their end, but thane should win if they are allowed to use end potions.

Now when ppl talk about classes it's almost always with buffs since it's very rare to find someone who doesn't use buffbot :p

I might be wrong now I havent played for months, but when I played it was no melee class about same RR that I couldn't beat 1v1.

I know paladins are hard but I dont think I ever lost to a paladin wich was unbuffed. I might have lost to a very high RR paladin but that imo doesn't count's :)

btw dont think u have had meat an unbuffed friar, if he was curios :D and he got reduse end usage from styles + end chant to :D

Users who are viewing this thread