Thane or Valkyri

ziq

Fledgling Freddie
I'm getting the game on friday and I have a tough time deciding what class to play...it's down to either a thane of a valkyri.

Do you experienced guys have some input? What's good and what's bad about them? How do they do solo...in groups...in RvR...and so on.

All input appreciated, ziq.

Helme

Resident Freddy
First off Valkyrie's are a quite new class so not many have experienced what they are capable of doing yet, however im pretty sure it can be a good addition to a group if played right.

Thanes have long been the gimped class of Midgard however since the addition of New Frontiers they got some group utility, static tempest. Which is a good reason to choose a thane together with bodyguard etc.

Try both, doesn't take much time now anyways to get to 20ish and check em out in the battlegrounds :)

ziq

Fledgling Freddie
What dmg-casting and melee classes are the most "wanted/requested/popular/fun"?

Helme

Resident Freddy
Berserkers is prolly the 'most' wanted tank for RvR, Warrior for PvE.

Casters is either Runemaster or Spiritmaster, If you choose to roll either of them I would strongly advise to go for the Spiritmaster as they got better defense.

Adirel

Fledgling Freddie
Valkyria is actually a rather good class. I have had some fun playing in Thid with one.

Only reason to level a thane now, is the cute hammer-bolts.
Thane isnt so gimped any more. 2 insta bolts is very handy. And con/str + damage self buff.

Static Tempest is a RvR abilitie, that costs 5 points for first level.

Justicator

Fledgling Freddie
Well, if you are definately rolling either valk or thane, then make a Thane because it has so much more utility for groups.

Bodyguard/Static Tempest/ae interrupt for starters..

sure valkyrie can interrupt and shear, but shear recast timers are rediculous and a Thane can interrupt better.

Xrystofer

Resident Freddy
i dont know much about valk but thane suxs after nerf, try a skald ftw :drink:

Harthai

Fledgling Freddie
Skalds are amazing soloer's aswell as fitting really nicely in groups.If you wanna go caster ,go spiritmaster.

Your pet can intercept attacks for you and is the only pet that can block stealth attacks.Aswell as having alot of crowd control.So theyre quite useful in groups and quite capable at soloing.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Helme said:
Casters is either Runemaster or Spiritmaster, If you choose to roll either of them I would strongly advise to go for the Spiritmaster as they got better defense.

No warlock? o_O

I have a 50 thane, but havent really gotten to play it alot in grp vs grp rvr, only soloed alil and been in some sieges. I really like it tho, its got tons and tons of utility, and is alot more fun in sieges than a pure tank :) Mine is a casterthane (frostalf +10 piety from start, spellcrafting geared towards casting with dexovercap, pietyovercap, casting speed % bonus etc) and can actually do respectable casting damage (thanes dd spells are higher delve [basedamage] than a runemasters, they only suffer from lack of pietybuff).

The Valkyrie ive only tried in thidranki (the battleground for level 20-24) but also found to be a fun class, altho it doesnt play like a thane at all really. A thane is defensive, mixing a caster and a heavytank, while a valkyrie is offensive and wants to gets stuck in melee, thus mixing a lighttank and a caster. Valkyries instant cast spells will be boosted in a coming patch btw, decreasing their recast timer from 30 sec to 20 sec :)

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Well havent played a Thane much but can give u what I know.

A thane is a defensive class. Use your shield to slam ppl that are on your seers and casters and use your magic to interuppt. Also have the wonderful RA Static Tempest. You really want a Thane in a supp sm group.

The Valkyrie can be specced for both defensive and offensive but imo go for offense. The spear line have an anytime chain with pbae procc and a from behind target stun style. Perfect for the assist trains. The Valk also have 2 CAE buff shears. A Dex/qui and a Acu. The valk also have a CAE 80% snare insta that easy take out an assist train on one of your group members.

Unfortunatly the valk doesnt have much in the ML or RA lines that boost their performance. Only special RA is Ichor, same as the Shaman and the ML lines are Warlord and Stormlord.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
I have a level 49 Valk on US servers. It's fun but I'd say not as good as a Thane overall.
Benefits:
Rez (at high level)
PBAoE spear styles which absolutely rock.
AoE buff shears - both on the same timer though so you only get to fire off dex/qui or acuity and not both in most fights.
AoE insta snare.

Downsides:
Bad ML path choices (Warlord or Stormlord).
DDs are weaker than Thane spells, and the only one you'll actually use is on a 20 second reuse timer.
Poor defence - especially if spear specced.
Using the AoE damage chant will drain your entire power bar in around 15 seconds and doesn't hit very hard.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
chretien said:
Using the AoE damage chant will drain your entire power bar in around 15 seconds and doesn't hit very hard.

15s? The base power drain on the pulse is 10% every 5s. If you cap piety you are down to around 3-4%/pulse. It doesnt hit hard no and you should only use the pulse if ppl are trying to box up inside a TWF or ST for example. Good to use against casters being BGed also but the pbae style works just as well.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
The frontal dmg chant thing must be nice at bled bridge? :p

Keeg

Fledgling Freddie
Harthai said:
Skalds are amazing soloer's aswell as fitting really nicely in groups.

How is skald a amazing soloer? Lol, a skald solo's like crap, a thane would solo much much better, and more wanted in pve groups aswell.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Keeg said:
How is skald a amazing soloer? Lol, a skald solo's like crap, a thane would solo much much better, and more wanted in pve groups aswell.

LoL... :) Never come across solo RR5+ skalds? :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Keeg said:

Where is Rulke when you need him?

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Turgon and that other high RR one that used to roam Odins OF would prove skalds are more then capable soloers. :p

Remember Turgon regularly taking out 1-3 stealthers with all abilities active.

Tho I think Turgon was the stronger of the two, as I never could take him, otherone was easier. :/

Kais

Banned
Jaem- said:
Turgon and that other high RR one that used to roam Odins OF would prove skalds are more then capable soloers. :p

Remember Turgon regularly taking out 1-3 stealthers with all abilities active.

Tho I think Turgon was the stronger of the two, as I never could take him, otherone was easier. :/

zoia :p , and anyone that says skald is poor solo are definately wrong, a toa'd skald has a lot of nice abilities. 4 insta interupts, fz, ps etcetc.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Kais said:
zoia :p , and anyone that says skald is poor solo are definately wrong, a toa'd skald has a lot of nice abilities. 4 insta interupts, fz, ps etcetc.

Think thats the one. :)

Aye, so many tools to use, and now with ToA they have things like battler and malice charges, so their low defences aren't an issue when they have em ready.

If I remember currectly, a skald and warrior duo in Odins OF was insanely strong, they'd be holding back alot of albs from APK. :p

Tootz

Fledgling Freddie
Thane would probably be better suited for you because they at least come with their own Str/Con buff, plus a damage add. These will be a big help when you're soloing without the aid of buffs from a group.

Keeg

Fledgling Freddie
For the record i thought he ment in pve. i got a skald that does well solo pvp

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom