TFTs -- Size, Resolution, Response time, Widescreen

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Right, the blasted search wont let me search on either "TFT" or "LCD" as both are too short, so it's another thread for this topic I'm afraid.

I have a job (woo!). I'm spending the year clearing debts but getting myself some treats too. One of which, all being well, will be a TFT monitor.

Now, I play games (FPS etc), so I read that a response time of <20ms is preferred, but that <=25 is fine.

I currently have an Iiyama 454 CRT (19"). It's a beast. It's fab. It requires two people to carry it (boxed). Not good for treking up/down to/from Manchester, even if it's only twice a year.
I run it at 1600x1200@100Hz, so I think any TFT will be a step down res wise, but I'm not prepared to go any lower than 1280x1024. To be honest, I'd like something higher than that if it exists. However, I think my upper bound will £500-ish, so I'm not expecting much there.

I wonder about an 18-inch screen, since that will be the same viewable area as this current screen (nice), and there seems to be no gain in resolution for going up to 19".

There is one other spanner in the works though... Widescreen. I've only seen a few of these screens about, and they tend to only be 17" so I've no idea what the resolution is like, but they look rather nice. I've got no space for multi-monitor, but if the resolution is high enough, the idea of widescreen computing appeals somewhat. Anyone know anything about it?

Ta for advice. As I say, the target price is probably going to be £500.

Ben

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Looking into this myself at the moment, however I'm looking for a 19" gaming TFT. Looking at the new Sony X-Brite ATM, but they may be a bit.

Other one's I'm looking at are:

Sharp LL-191A
Phillips 190S5CS
Viewsonic VX910
Acer AL1912
Samsung 193P (out of your budget unfortunately)

If your desperate for 1600x800 there's the Dell 2001FP, you can pick them up on ebay for £550(ish), specs are:

20.1"
1600x1200
16.7 million colours
16ms
Plus it has S-video, so can be a TV

Here's a link to one, direct from the US, unfortunately a fair bit over your budget at £580, but you can find them cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3698&item=5108297467&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

As for widescreen, all 1280x1024 displays are widescreen (5:4).

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
inactionman said:
As for widescreen, all 1280x1024 displays are widescreen (5:4).
Eh? 5:4 is not widescreen. It's narrower than 4:3.
Widescreen is 16:9 for TV generally. Film is usually presented at 2.35:1 though.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Shovel, have a look at overclockers' big TFT faq here

It's where I started and found it very useful. Too tired to post more than this atm :(.

G

Yaka

Part of the furniture
got a dell 2001fp 20" tft ere, 1600x1200 res , it hadles lower res really well and has response time of 16ms. TV in port handles pal and ntsc signals and werks mint with a console etc.

only draw back is the colour is is nowt like me old but exxelent sgi 1600sw screen.

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Where's the yaka translator when you need it.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Well, currently weighing this up (not buying any time soon, mind):

The new Apple displays are gorgeous, high res and very, very expensive. Therefore, short of me winning £500, not happening.

Therefore back in the realm of the living, with super-high resolution screens heading in over the £1000 mark as well, I'm probably looking at a fairly standard 1280x1024 display. Given that I'm then not sure I see a benefit in having 19" over 17" at the same res (unless anyone can offer a good reason?), I wonder about getting a good quality 17" screen, and maybe going Dual Head with it at some point later when I have more desk space (we get this at work soon and I'm not sure I'll be able to live without it afterwards...).

Recommendation and brand awareness has led me towards Samsung, who do two notable models in 17", both of which have very thin frames, preferable for dual head, obviously. Those are the 172X (which the OC thread above seems to like a lot, after initial review squabbling) and the 710N. The different on Komplett is about £80, but the specs seem very similar. Anyone know?

Having been told "never, ever buy a cheap one" (ta Mookie), and with the colour quality supposedly outstanding, the X seems rather tempting. And the "buy a second one later and still not spend as much as on that sodding Apple display" factor is definitely there :D

Thanks.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
me brother has them samsung screens 172x very nifty and fast response time.

as for the differences going by wots on the description on komplett it think the N has no dvi port and the X has one.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I've just found the Sony HS94P on pre-order on dabs, so I ordered one. £540 + delivery.

Who know's when i'll actually get it though! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom