text editors

W

wyrd_fish

so... what text editor do you use???

i used to use notepad, but then my move over to PHP/MySQL demanded line numbers so I now use Crimson Editor...

J

Jonty

Hello :)

I too used to use Notepad for all my coding, but I was eventually feeling flush enough to purchase HomeSite 5. Although perhaps not perfect, it still remains arguably the greatest handcoding tool in the business :D

Having spoken to (Shovel) yesterday, it seems HTML-Kit is a good alternative too.

Kind Regards

S

(Shovel)

I should talk to you more often Jonty, I can just stay in bed rather than reply to WebDev :D

Yes, HTML-Kit is very nice. There's actually a way to get it to do some very clever preview tricks in the new version and display Mozilla preview alongside IE preview. However, there's issues with it if you run Norton Ant-Virus so that's not as great a feature for me!

However, it has full blown syntax highlighting for XHTML, CSS, PHP, Perl, Javascript and God knows what elese :)

It has various short cuts build in for code snippets if you like that kind of thing, and a useful colour picker that can be configured to find the "nearest" web safe colour to the one you pick.

Built in FTP, and Site by site folder organisation panel down the right hand side.

Links into W3C Validators to validate pages without needing to upload manually.

Some code completion for HTML.

You can define your own code completion templates as well as the ones it provides too.
E.g., you type <? and it will put a ?> after your carat as you continue typing. However, you can be more advanced and get it to print huge lumps of code when you type a single line. I've set mine up so that when you type "<link " it fills the rest of the stylesheet linking line in XHTML compatible code. I just then fill in the parameters.

For free, it's fab :)

Only thing to note is that sometimes the above mentioned code completion can get annoying, and you'll have to manually poke through it to update some of the tags (like img and meta) to be XHTML compliant (with trailing /).

Err, yeah, top stuff :)

U

[UKLans]Khan

I use Dreamweaver MX (which includes homesite) to hand code all of my HTML/ASP and ASP.Net. Dreamweaver MX is one of the best products on the market for professional web designers (in my opinion).

www.macromedia.com for more info.

Khan

U

[UKLans]Khan

True, but it has a 30 day trial so you can check if you like before you buy. Also if you are a student you can get an official licence for under £100 (I know dreamweaver 4 was £35 for the licence and £35 for the CD).

Khan

S

(Shovel)

REALLY!?! wow.... *is tempted*

In fact, a wuick hunt via Macromedia, these are the prices for the complete suite and all Macromedia apps for students:
http://www.pugh.co.uk/products/macromedia/Macromedia price list.htm

EDIT:// Not web dev, but also of interest to Students. I'd never heard of "Select" licensing before, and if it's the "Microsoft Tax" thing, then obviously ignore this, however, you can get Office XP Pro for <£100, Office pro as opposed to the Office XP Education pack that doesn't include Access.
http://www.pugh.co.uk/studentsandstaff/studentselect.htm

M

MYstIC G

HTML-kit is a good HTML/php editor, but for plain text on windows try MetaPad (use google).

Users who are viewing this thread