Temperature of Athlon 64's

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
I have a new Athlon 64 3400+ and I think it is running too hot. In Camelot it runs at 61 degrees. It doesn't seem to go up by much, maybe to 62/63 if I play for a long time and the room is warm anyway. However the maximum temperature on these is 70 degrees so the fact that it is running 60+ is a concern. In Windows it runs < 50 degrees all the times.

I have a large aluminium case with fans on the front and back. The heatsink is the standard AMD one provided with the processor. The motherboard is an MSI one. I have read the temperature readings in these can be incorrect.

I was just wondering what other people with these processors are running at. The Athlon XP2100 that I have in my other PC runs at 53 degrees when playing the game, but the max temp of these is 90 degrees.

BTW: It runs the game like a dream. See no (or very little) graphics lag at all even when theres a lot going on on the screen. And thats using a Geforce 4 ti4200 graphics card as well.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Thats indeed running fairly hot.

could be the a small air bubble between the cpu and the cooling block, try removing and reinstalling the cooling block, make sure the thermal paste is just a thin layer and the block is fitted nice and even

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Found the answer I think on the AMD forums. The motherboard I have is known to incorrectly report the temperature and theres a fix in the pipeline. Well, lets hope it's this.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldn't surprise me - some motherboards have been up to 20C out in their temperature reporting before....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom