Teh Seel Advice on Forum Posting.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
A few simple guides for people when posting on the forums.

1: Don't be a Sir Correctalot.

Peolpe make mistakes when spelling. Some people arn't native talkers of english either. But since this is mainly an educa...english forum, people write in english. Now, when you see words written poorly, for exampel; example written exampel, think how much it would benefit the forum community if you decided just to correct the person. Yes, quite, it wouldn't. If you understand something, answer the content, not the spelling eroor. Makes a lot happier place and keeps the flames from burning the place down.

2: Just google it!

You know a search engine? Right. You know google? at www.google.com? Right. Then why do you ask simple questions like: "where is a daoc map site?" or "is there a website for building characters, like a character builder of some sort?"

3: Keep things in one place!

If there's a thread named "The lag is bad", you should really consider answering to that thread instead of making one named "Lag is bad." or "Lag anyone?" Also, naming a thread "About the game" and then start the thread with "Waaah! Lag is bad!" is considered a bad move.

4: Where does this go?

Well, usually things are quite simple. On Topic is a fairly easy concept eh? Nope. Threads like "My dog had puppies!" and "I played with my gf's huuhaa last night!" arn't really the kind of topics that fit the whole DAoC theme. Ofcourse this thread is an advice for the general DAoC posting population so it doesn't count. *cough*

5: This is in the wrong place!! Wah!

Right, well. It's not really yor problem. We have these guys(or girls) named mods. They moderate the boards. In simple terms, be gods of ye old posting. If they see a thread is in the wrong place, they move it. If they find an offensive posts, they delete it. If they find a "foad" comment from someone, they ban it. They are quite good in their field of expertise so, leave it to the pro's. Also if they want to sticky threads *cough* they can. Ahem. Moving along!

6: thread +1 = ...why?

Posting on a thread is usually good. Giving our opinion on things is a , umm, mod given right and as such, should be used whenever you have something to say. Now. As an example, on the topic of "What do you think of GOA?", a good answer might be something like "Well, i really don't know because of the fluxuation of their service" or "I really think they should improve their customer service". Right? Right. Now, a bad answer on the other hand would be something along the lies of... "+1" , " :m00: ", "I like pie!" or "This thread sucks!" You don't have to be a professor of literature or even know how to type "professor of literature", but just posting for posting isn't really a good thing. Unless you like posting things that actually make sense...or don't...in...odd ways...ahem...anyway!

7: Why can't we all...just get along!

People get on others nerves, that's granted. People get anrgy at something, naturally. But before you counter someones nightshade spec or ..hohum...advice thread *whistles* with an insult towards their mother, poodle or "you're probaby a fat alb from midgard with a lurikeen up your butt!!", take a breather, have a cup'o'joe, smoke some or something and then answer. Flame leads to anger leads to hate leads to Flamewars 3000 Ultimate Edition. And it's still in beta so cool down.

8: DBD man, DBD.

This simple advice is effective in all it's simplicity. DBD. Don't Be Dumb. It's quite easy. You know the difference between a good answer or a thread. Don't go out on the limb to do otherwise. If you take just, even a second or two, before naming, shaming or flamebating, this thing might roll along a bit smoother.

9: We must SEARCH for Teh Treasure!

There's been countless of times when someone has been seen posting something along the lines of "I remember a post by Ripunbuu that talked about kids playing in a soccer field and causing commotion with the local militia in cuba. Where is it?" Well, before ou go asking for some m-old-y bread, take a look at your screen. Below the text which indicates where you're located on the boards, is a lovely row of clickety things. One of them is named, suprisingly, "Search". Try it. It's fun and saves the world! Atleast saves a bit of server space since there's one less question thread.

10: I hate you all! :) :wub:

Using the emoticons, the little guys there on the right side of the field you write in, in a sentence can help get your point across. If you want to be in good humour, don't mean to offend and really are just taking a preverbial piss, use an emoticon after the sentence.Observe.

"Yeah and i bet you're some nerd in a dark room taking a tan from the plasma screen."

or

"Yeah and i bet you're some nerd in a dark room taking a tan from the plasma screen :p "

The later will probably go across better as a good sporty joke instead of an offence towards plasma screens.

11: You got a 32k modem? Take a look at THIS!!

Posting pictures. It's fun and brings joy (or old remarks) on the boards. But do take into consideration, when you want to post a 1:1 scale picture of your house, that some people use a little slower connection, and that a huuuge picture also hinders the interest of the thread a bit. Using "hyperlink" (found right next to the infamous "post picture" icon) is a good way to bring your funny for the people, as well as save many of them a headache and a scrollers nightmare.

Be cool out there, Teh Seel out.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
nice post seal .. ham and tight not keeping you busy anymore with polymorphing? ;P

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
tempted to sticky this :)

wish I could use orbital mind control lasers to imprint it on everyone's brain who posts.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well i'm not gonna vote for myself, give people what they want i say *cough*

Ahem, but, i think i'll be adding to this whenever i get the chance so it's gonna be semi-sticky anyway :p

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
it's gonna be semi-sticky anyway :p

You mean a mild tackiness like an over-used post-it note, as opposed to a new one?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
(Would like to thank for the honor of being stickied and i'll try not to abuse the chance. Much. :D )

Edit: appended points 9 onwards in main post

Chilly

Balls of steel
filthy Jupitus.

well done seel - you are a seel among small defenseless fish indeed!

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I'm trying to use your advice here, tell me if it's ok:

Marchegiani, you are smelly obese fat thumb twiddling piss snorting fuckface :p

...only joking I love marc :D :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
eggy said:
I'm trying to use your advice here, tell me if it's ok:

Marchegiani, you are smelly obese fat thumb twiddling piss snorting fuckface :p

Hmm. I have a high tolerance to stuff said if there's a smiley, but some might not take it so easily, so better take it easy on the friendly insults :D

Though ain't f*ckface and p*sssnorting kinda redundant? :eek7:

Not to mention obese fat.

I'd go with:

"Marchegiani you smelly, fat, thumbtwiddling f*ckface :p"

Sounds a lot nicer and non offensive too.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Hey Film :)

if i make a thread called How to be a Forum troll will you also Sticky it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom