Team changing llama

F

Fusion

In regard to the 'team changing llama' mod that is being run on the BW server.

I have a few problems with it. Firstly I object to being called a 'team changing llama' if I change to the loosing team. Especially as the script makes someone on the server say those words, which normally results in a few punch ups and verbal exchanges.

Secondly, its not unusual to see clan players gang up on newbies, in this sort of situation the whole game turns into a farce where the ski-jumping script using attack literally has to form a queue to cap the flag. When this sort of thing happens, is it lame to swap over to the winning team when none of the good players are going to swap over to the losing team?

Thirdly, whats all the fuss about team changing anyway? I've never seen BW try to support, say Q2CTF with the same sort of modification so why does Tribes get the special treatment? Especially as it doesn't really need it.

People wouldn't swap teams if things were balanced. No one likes to lose, but it takes the piss when the decent clan players refuse to swap over, and in that sort of situation you can't really blame the newbies for swapping over to the better team.

P

Poker

That's a client-side script that some players use. Nothing to do with BarrysWorld whatsoever.

If you don't like hearing it I suggest you try Presto's mute facility or you could ask the player to turn the script off.

Its just as lame to swap to a winning team as it is to continually pound a team into the floor such that all its players continually drop.

Tried asking one or two players from the more reputable tribes if they would like to try to balance the sides up a bit (assuming teams are uneven)?

(Oh and on the ski-jumping issue...its not necessarily a script, its quite easy to do manually.)

[This message has been edited by Poker (edited 23 May 1999).]

F

Fusion

I thought Bw had modified the servers? When I log onto a BW server is says 'This server has been modified' something like that. So what's that refering to?

P

Poker

Fusion: Afaik the only modification that BW run is one that allows them to run multiple modifications
wink.gif

Thats what the notification refers to.

S

Shelob

You do in fact refer to MY client side script. I noticed that some others had a script that would go HMMMM^^^^^ and things like that. So I made my own that says
xxxx is a team changing llama.
Cuba lives near me so he has a modified copy of my script which says
xxxx is a team changing BANANA.
Others may have copied this.
If you asked me to disable my script I would not. One of the barrysworld guys - Ted I think, himself updated his column once to moan about people changing to the winning side. He said he was going to give a few people the admin code and they were to kick people that did this. I think calling them a llama is hardly offensive (especially when its someone changing to the losing side, it gives u a chance to point out that you are helping.) and I don't think its a very nice thing to do - i.e. make the situation worse for your team so they suffer even worse than u were. I don't mind swapping to a losing side when it has fewer members. But the bottom line is I think if u cant play on the losing side u shouldnt change u should leave. Then either the numbers become unbalanced and so experienced players will change, or other people can join the game.
My script often calls ME a llama when I am balancing up the losing side - don't take offence its just a silly script in a game.

Oops forgot to sign

[BR] Shrapnel

[This message has been edited by Shelob (edited 25 May 1999).]

V

VELVET

Any chance of making that script publically available Shelob??? I hate 'team changing llamas' and it often interupts my game when I feel oblidged to tell them so...

Cheers

Neal

[This message has been edited by VELVET (edited 25 May 1999).]

S

Shelob

Well a few people have asked for it on and off servers so I guess I'd better make it available.
Before I do I might have to look into stopping it from reporting changes to the smaller/losing team
smile.gif

I can just imagine a screenfull of team changing llama messages
smile.gif

Its real easy to put in if u have tinkered with any scripts at all.

T

TedTheDog

The Mod we run stops people voting for admins. We found organised Tribes we're taking over our public servers by simply initiating a vote for one of their teammates and then all voting for him. Once they had admin they'd kick everyone off and have a private practice.
We ran an anti-teamchange mod for 3 days but found it to be badly done.
It simply swapped people to the smaller team and seemed to pick people at random. The final straw was when it teamchanged me to the other team 25mins into the game just as I was trying to kill the nme flaggy. AAAGGGHH!!!
heh, serves me right for not listening to the people who were complaining about it already. Nothing like personal experience to understand a problem I spose
wink.gif

And yes, I hate ppl who change to the winning team. Its thoughtless and selfish and not in the spirit of the game. I notice its happening less these days (at least, that my impression).
Had 1 last night funnily enough. I called him a "wimp" and he changed straight back and said sorry. Kewl
biggrin.gif

Next game that team pounded us into the ground
smile.gif

Abusing Teamchangers is fine by me. If they didnt do it they wouldnt get abused.

By the way, anyone notice the extra CTF server we brought up on Saturday night? Will be up each saturday, 7:30 til midnight.

Ted

[This message has been edited by TedTheDog (edited 28 May 1999).]

C

Cuba

WELL WELL WELL

Team changing BANANA thread interesting why th funk is this thread hear!

i dont mind u moning about palyers changing teams but moaning about scripts is funking rediculous i get spam from all those who have the new voice files and movie quotes but i dont funking moan ewhen they fill my chat bar !

i suppose u dont like the cap script when we go woohoo - tell u what we wont do any scripts then an all be llamas shall we

ps i do think the ski script is lame if it exists
smile.gif

[BR]cuba

E

Ewan

The skiing script is just a dead simply thing, writer did one.

All it does is replace youre jump key with a constant "+jump;+jump;+jump;+jump" style thing (i know its not that exactly,but thats what it amounts to).

It just jumps you constantly, at about the same rate as you would by banging on space lots.

[BR] Ewan

B

Brit

Indeed. As an IGN.ie (three servers) admin, this is exactly what I do.

Person A changes teams to the 'winning' side.
Me: erm, why?
Person A...
Me: erm, why?
Person A...
Me: ok, have it your way..

/me logs on as admin, and changes team of Person A.. who then inevitably drops.

Its So lame as to be beyong discussion really, lets just hope people stop doing it (or start voting!)

--Brit--

S

SimbobX

Haven't got any experience of tribes (yet) but this isn't really a problem in the Q2 CTF scene. Any of you play Q2 CTF (or QW CTF) and have any idea why it's such a problem in Tribes?

Some suggestions (got no idea if they're sensible or not) :

Compliment or thank people who even up the teams.

Ask people who join your team to swap to the other if it's a problem.

Swap to the losing team yourself (okay okay not constantly throughout the whole game!!)

Don't insult poeple who even up the teams (okay so I'm not even a newbie, but how can you say that insulting people for doing the wrong thing is something they should care about and insulting people for doing the right thing is something they should ignore? I'd get really pissed off if someone (or their script) kept having a go when I was behaving in a courteous and fair manner!)

It's sort of a case of if the whole 'community' has an ethos of NOT swapping to the winning team, it will eventually filter through to the tiny minds of those who do it.

Never understood wanting to be on the winning team myself, if you haven't actually helped it to win!

Oh well, I'll STFU now
smile.gif

hope to see you on a Tribes server soon.

A

_Afty

Perhaps a number of mature amd responsible (read trusted) people with admin rights on the servers would help on this matter?
Sure, it wouldn't be 100% effective, but if a team changer was continuously warned, and refused to change back or became abusive, they could be kicked.
It is almost impossible to kick someone by vote, as so few people bother to vote, and we get high abstention numbers.

Perhaps seeing a team changer kicked by an authoritative figure would deter others from doing so...

Afty (using _Afty cos I typoed when trying to create Afty, DOH!)

I

ivanski

Hmm perhaps you could change your script so that it not only said 'xxxxxx is a team changeing llama' for anyone changeing to the winning team, but also :- 'xxxxxx is a hero of the first order!' for somone changeing to the team with fewer players.

This would be quite easy as scripts can count the players on each team, and team scores are probably also availble.

DS.Ivanski/DS.Ivanova - whatever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom