Tax stuffs? [Car]

Gray

FH is my second home
So today i finally got a car i have been after a while [Ford Focus Ghia 2.0], however at the moment the car doesnt come with tax and the MOT is running out soon.

I checked online for price quotes for my insurance to begin with and im fairly satisfied at the prices being quoted, so i'll sort that out tomorrow.

However the Tax and the MOT are a bit of a greyarea for me, since i have never had to do them [My dad did that side of things] now ive been told for the tax and stuff, i need to go to the Post Office and do it.. But i heard you can also do it online? If so, whats the website? Also, anyone know the pricing structure for it?

And the MOT also, do i just call the MOT place [Does it really matter WHERE i go? Or is it only certain garages?] and book an appointment so that i can go and let them sort it out?

The car is in fairly decent condition, its a 1999 model and does have high miles [120k] but it has been well maintained by the owner as shown in the documentation, so i am fairly sure it will pass the MOT etc.

Only issues is, it has a few scratches, some will probably be sorted with a good valet, but the bonnet seems to be "stuck up" slightly, it is difficult to open the bonnet with the key [God damn Focus design!] because the spring type thing which requires a lot of force to push down.

Only minor things, but i onlt got it for £1500 which im fairly happy about, i was going to spend about £5-6000 on a car, so i dont mind fixing a few niggles with the money i intended to spend

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nice and easy.
You need MOT before you can get your tax - to get taxed online (via DVLA Online Vehicle Licensing | Home ) you need a new style MOT which any MOT advertising garage will do i think for £42.50 or somewhere near that). They can normally always fit you in at your convenience, next day, same day etc. Try Kwik Fit and the likes. All you need to do is say you need the MOT doing, leave it with them and job done.

Tax is gonna set you back on a 2 litre - think you're looking at around £175 however this will depend on how old the car is. If it's pre 2000(1?) it will be £175 for the year, if its after that it depends on the emissions of the car - prices will be on the above site, you can go through the details and find the price before confirming and paying.

Gray

FH is my second home
Yeah just checked on the Direct.Gov website... Seems like it has most of the stuff there.

However i noticed one bit which stuck out to me - It said i cant tax the vehicle until it is in my name [Filling out the V5C form?] now this was done by the guys i bought it from and they sent it off.

However it apparently takes upto 4 weeks for it to chnage into my name [:eek6: ] so does that mean i cant tax it/drive it until the car is in my name?

Bugger.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Do it online Gray, its a piece of cake, and you don't have to stand in line behind piss-soaked old gimmers who spend 5 minutes talking to the post office cashier about the price of cat food these days.

The bonnet latch is fairly important, you need to get that sorted. It will be resting on the secondary catch, which is a failsafe in case the first fails. You need to spray it with penetrating oil and get it freed up. Go to Halfords and choose a good spray oil, WD40 isn't really suitable for this despite what everyone will tell you it isn't a lubricant. Do ensure that the latch is working correctly before you slam it shut again, just in case its broken.

Also spray a very small amount into the lock while the bonnet is up, and work it loose with the key.

Oh and it matters not that the V5 is not in your name. I bought my car, sent the V5 off, and taxed it the following day with the bit of paper I had left, and all the other documents.

Gray

FH is my second home
Hmm yeah.. Come to think of it i have got a small piece of paper under V5C/2 // new Keeper Supplement...

I do recall the guy mentioning that infact so that must have been for the taxing purposes... Lets see...

The bonnet thing yeah, i'll have to take a look tomorrow, but when i do the MOT i'll just see if they can do a quick check to fix if necessary, while it does look like it is securely down [where it wont fly up] it is noticable that the bonnet isnt 100% shut

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Tip: when you're having the MOT done, have it done at a council-run garage that only do MOT's and no other work.

That way you won't get stitched up for repairs that aren't needed, which IMO happens more often than you'd believe.

Your council website will help you find a suitable garage.

The bonnet catch will be easy, it just needs either lubrication or adjustment. They're very simple mechanisms.

Gray

FH is my second home
IMPORTANT
If you have recently purchased this vehicle and you have not received your full Registration Certificate (log book) from DVLA (the green slip alone is not enough) you should NOT use this service.

If you do use this service without having received your full Registration Certificate (log book) from DVLA then your new tax disc may be sent to the previous keeper of the vehicle.

Please check that this is the vehicle you want to re-license and that the vehicle details are correct.

Bugger. I only have the green slip. Guess im waiting in the queues tomorrow -.-

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Tip: when you're having the MOT done, have it done at a council-run garage that only do MOT's and no other work.

That way you won't get stitched up for repairs that aren't needed, which IMO happens more often than you'd believe.

Your council website will help you find a suitable garage.

The bonnet catch will be easy, it just needs either lubrication or adjustment. They're very simple mechanisms.

I had my MOT done at a Kwikfit. They were really good. Fast efficient and didnt charge a lot either if I needed a few minor repairs done.

Gray

FH is my second home
Yeah i was looking at KwikFit because of my insurance. You see, there was one insurance company [Called DirectChoice] who gave the lowest insurance policy of £700.

The second cheapest was KwikFit however they was charging short of £900 but where giving a "free" MOT away as part of the package. I have never heard of this DirectChoice so im unsure if it would be ideal going with them or not.

Ive looked around at many other companies, not part of confused.com [AA, Churchill etc] but they were still over the £900 marker

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Get the MOT first (you need that + proof of ownership and proof of insurance) before the post office will give you a tax disk.

If your car has no MOT or TAX (but has insurance) i think you are legally allowed to drive it to the place of MOT - but don't go a scenic route :)

Once you have your MOT certificate take it along with proof of insurance (cover note or policy details) and your vehicle registration document to the post office and ask for some tax ... easy :)

You can use any garage you like providing they are certified to do MOT's just give them a call adn say "Do you do MOT's and if so when could you fit me in?" oh and i think the MOT is around £50 then you need to pay for any repairs needed for it to pass, some garages will give a free re-test following hte repairs, others may charge for it.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yeah i was looking at KwikFit because of my insurance. You see, there was one insurance company [Called DirectChoice] who gave the lowest insurance policy of £700.

The second cheapest was KwikFit however they was charging short of £900 but where giving a "free" MOT away as part of the package. I have never heard of this DirectChoice so im unsure if it would be ideal going with them or not.

Ive looked around at many other companies, not part of confused.com [AA, Churchill etc] but they were still over the £900 marker

Try these people: Cheap Car Insurance Quotes For Drivers With Low No Claims Bonus From bell.co.uk

I got a good deal with them...

Gray

FH is my second home
They was expensive for me :s

Ended up going with DirectLine, they was only a few pound more expensive than DirectChoice, but because theyre more reputatable i didnt mind paying the extra £10 or so.

Noticed something though, when i paid, i didnt pay in installments i just paid the full amount outright [£711] but then i remembered my credit card only has a limit of about £200 or something, because i never did get around to increasing it... Will that cause the transaction to bounce? :eek:

And got MOT booked for Friday, by the garage im fairly familiar with, so all is dandy there

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
depends on the card - chances are it will bounce.

Did you also increase your excess with your insurance ? that can really help get the quote down, i always decline that legal cover crap too :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You mean the legal cover that will be invaluable in the event of a disputed claim?

More fool you tbh. Legal cover is invaluable.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
If you are driving it without tax then you are driving illegally, and if caught you will probably be fined, there is no grace period as such any more.

If you are not driving the car and it is parked off road then you could still be fined. All cars should be taxed at all times OR SORN'd which is a notice that the car is off the road and not in use. If you drive a SORN'd car on the road you get fined. The only exceptions are cars currently in the possession of a motor trader.

See a pattern?

It is legal to drive an un MOTed car to a MOT station, though if stopped you'd probably have to prove that you had an appointment, otherwise everyone would say that.

You did right to go with Direct Choice and not KwikFit, financially at least. The free MOT would have saved you £50 ish, not the extra £200 you'd have shelled out.

Oh and as Tom said legal crap is only a waste of money as long as you don't claim. As soon as you do it is money well spent, particularly if you are not at fault, and the other driver is uninsured, depressingly common these days.

RB

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
My tax and MOT went overdue by 2 months on the Golf when I was trying to get it sorted (have you tried getting an ABS light for a Golf from anywhere apart from VW?). It still got me to work.............

Even got pulled by the rozzers in it, they said the DVLA would be in touch. That was 7 months ago and I'm still waiting.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
My tax and MOT went overdue by 2 months on the Golf when I was trying to get it sorted (have you tried getting an ABS light for a Golf from anywhere apart from VW?). It still got me to work.............

Even got pulled by the rozzers in it, they said the DVLA would be in touch. That was 7 months ago and I'm still waiting.

did you phone up to remind them....................?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Must have slipped my mind :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
You mean the legal cover that will be invaluable in the event of a disputed claim?

More fool you tbh. Legal cover is invaluable.

Read your insurance policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom