Take it to the limit...

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Hiya dudes. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about "tweaking" systems. I don't actually have a clue what I am talking about but I want to get the most out of my current system. My friend claims I could improve graphics/slowdown/loading screens by using some software to mess with my settings and hardware a bit does anyone have any tips, or links to such software? I don't want to open my pc up or anything...but any tips for improved performance would be appreciated.

Cheers. :D

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Not 100% sure what you mean to be honest, But am guessing at improving system when its running. boot times and such like. Am also guessing you're useing winXP.

Have a realy good tut on xp installation, Fresh install settings and all that. I'll try dig that out and post it for you, (if i can find the bas.... going off track :p)

But, As you have an installation lets start with basics.

Defrag, Pretty much a no brainer this. If its closer to the inner edge of the hhd plate, Head has to move less and access times go up.

Bootvis.exe (google it) Its an M$ program thats ment for devolopers to test boot times after installation of there new packages, No longer avail from m$. Ment(don't hold to much trust in it anymore, Seemed to work in early days) to decrease boot times by moving programs used in boot operation to front of hdd plate. Might be worth a try.

Start up programs (/me points to lower right corner, Them things :)) Hmm many you need running ?

Start up folder. Start button>all programs>Start up. Remove any and all. programs will still start when needed. Just slow THEM down a little, Worth the trade of if you don't use JUST them imo.

Reg start up. Hate it or love it, reg is a wierd and wonderfull place.

MSconfig. Start>run Type msconfig hit enter. New window, start up tab. Disable anything you don't want starting up, If ya not sure when it is, it has a path, follow path and find out :) Might want to reboot here. You'll get a popup saying somit like running in selective startup mode bla bla.
Check that box, hit ok

Regedit. Start>run type Regedit press enter. Now to find startup items.

Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run This is were your(your as in your user name, 1 that is logged on now) startup items are stored, remove whar your sure of, Leave or trace path what your not. Thats your lot down, Nexr stuff that boots for all.

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
This is were startup items for all users are stored. Same with above, Remove what you know, Leave or trace what ya don't.

Lastly services. Services run all the time in the background Helping windows run and so on. bla bla bla Lets get to the good stuff :)
Ok 2 ways to stop/start services. 1 is from msconfig. But its limited. Best way is start>run type services.msc press enter. Heres is where you need to hit google and find out what services you can/can't live without.

Short list taken from WinXPhacks is
Code:
       Service

What it does

Portable Media Serial Number

Retrieves the serial number of a portable music player attached  to your PC.

Task Scheduler

Schedules unattended tasks to be run. If you don't schedule any  unattended tasks, turn it off.

Uninterruptible Power Supply

Manages an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) connected to your  PC.

Automatic Updates

Automatically checks for Windows updates. (You can check  manually by going to [url="http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/default.htm"]http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com[/url].)

Telnet (service available on XP Pro only)

Allows a remote user to log in to your computer and run  programs. (This will not be found on all versions of XP Pro.)

Wireless Zero Configuration Service

Automatically configures a WiFi (802.11) network card. Disable  this only if you're not using a WiFi network card.

But many be a bit out of date, Surgest ya hit google and read if ya not sure.

Spyware. Plenty of this stuff around, run scans regular and keep system clean. Same goes for trojans and viri. if ya poping out the shops, Run a scan while ya out, Not like its doing anything else is it.

Last and posibley most risky, AV Autoscans. Some/most anti virus software will auto scan files as you access them. This is ok on new files. But when you've opened the file 50 times alrdy you can be pretty sure its clean. Get into the habbit of virus scanning everything, Even a note from ya mum/wife/kids/cat, Before ya open, Then and only then consider turning off auto protect.

Hope some of this bullsh*t helps. Hope it was what ya after. and above all. Hope it don't make ya system unbootable, Windows is a strange thing and seems to keel over and die at the slitest problem :) <-- Note, thats my disclaimer. you change it, you face problems :p

P.S. many hardware tweaks can be done from windows. But info on system specs would cut the post down a fair bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom