system lock-up

killa beez

Fledgling Freddie
Just bought CoD, great game, but have probs.

Am playing on an Athlon 2000+, 512 ram, Radeon 9000 (plus new drivers). When I play single player and die (all too often I might add!) my system locked during the 'being shot' sequence, allowing me to enjoy my frailty for so much longer!
I assume this is a video card issue, though I have the detail set fairly low.
I am on the verge of a new card (9600XT 256mb), but I would love a cheaper option.
Heres hoping....
KBz :cheers:

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Could be drivers, your system heat, gfx card heat, many other things tbh, but try turning the fps counter on to see if it is mega low fps you are getting. When in the game, drop the console (the key above tab and left of '1') and type

/cg_drawfps 1

then hit ENTER. Close the console. You will now see your frames-per-second at the top of the screen.

killa beez

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks chameleon.

Done that, fps 50-130 in game and a glorious 9 in the death sequence.

This should probably mean something to me......but, what does this mean?

btw, what is an acceptable fps for online gaming, my CoD is about 50-70, havent tried CS yet.

KBz :cheers:

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Well, the higher the fps, the better. The aim is to cap your fps (with the 'com_maxfps' command) at a level where your frame rate doesnt drop below this, even when in the midst of a fire fight, while being mortered, etc, etc. Doing this allows your fps to be maintained at a constant level, meaning the game should run smooth all the time and you wont experience those weird judders which occur when there is a sudden drop in your fps count.
Whether it's the cause of the crashes or not, your fps does seem to be dropping very very low at certain times. You would find things a lot smoother, albeit a bit more ugly, if you turned a few settings down. Most settings can be accessed from the in-game menus. Try turning down texture and geometry detail, model quality, sound quality (yes this will effect fps), etc, etc. Find a good compromise between fps and enough picture quality to still enjoy the game.
Personally I like to cap fps at something over 100, but I did just upgrade my pc so find this easier to do than I would have previously. You may find it difficult, if not impossible, to reach this kind of fps, given your current levels. Just try and get it as high as you can, without it looking so ugly that it compromises your enjoyment of the game.
If it's still crashing ...... try installing new drivers, but have a search for a link which explains how to completely remove your old drivers, as residual files/registry entries can cause all sorts of problems.
Let us know how you get on!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
As a side note, q3 has 125 and 76 fps as special figures where you can achieve particular jumps etc.
Bearing this in mind I lock my fps at 76 , as I play with all graphics on maximum and at 1280-1024.

killa beez

Fledgling Freddie
Chameleon said:
Well, the higher the fps, the better. The aim is to cap your fps (with the 'com_maxfps' command) at a level where your frame rate doesnt drop below this, even when in the midst of a fire fight, while being mortered, etc, etc. Doing this allows your fps to be maintained at a constant level, meaning the game should run smooth all the time and you wont experience those weird judders which occur when there is a sudden drop in your fps count.
Whether it's the cause of the crashes or not, your fps does seem to be dropping very very low at certain times. You would find things a lot smoother, albeit a bit more ugly, if you turned a few settings down. Most settings can be accessed from the in-game menus. Try turning down texture and geometry detail, model quality, sound quality (yes this will effect fps), etc, etc. Find a good compromise between fps and enough picture quality to still enjoy the game.
Personally I like to cap fps at something over 100, but I did just upgrade my pc so find this easier to do than I would have previously. You may find it difficult, if not impossible, to reach this kind of fps, given your current levels. Just try and get it as high as you can, without it looking so ugly that it compromises your enjoyment of the game.
If it's still crashing ...... try installing new drivers, but have a search for a link which explains how to completely remove your old drivers, as residual files/registry entries can cause all sorts of problems.
Let us know how you get on!

yes, but then it'll look shit, and i'm shallow like that.....new gfx card i guess.

and btw how do i quote a part of a previous post?

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Aye new gfx will prolly solve it :)
Bottom right on message is the quote button, then just edit out the bits you dont want between the (quote) and (/quote) bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom