Swing low sweet chariot

X

xane

Originally posted by Jonaldo
[Henman will win Wimbledon

You mean he'll have the winning ticket when the club gets raffled ?

R

Rederovski

dont mean to be a spoil sport but arent you all getting sick of the song ??

i mean i dont mean to take away anything from the achievement of the team but the song is overly played, was watching tv yesterday when i got home from college must have heard it sung about 5 or 6 times, okay so we won it, yes celebrate it but dont keep singing the song.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Rederovski
dont mean to be a spoil sport but arent you all getting sick of the song ??

i mean i dont mean to take away anything from the achievement of the team but the song is overly played, was watching tv yesterday when i got home from college must have heard it sung about 5 or 6 times, okay so we won it, yes celebrate it but dont keep singing the song.

Seems like football songs all year round. :rolleyes:

W

Will

At least you'll all shut up about 1966 now.:eek:

D

darthshearer

750k+ people, Hmmm what is the average gates at RU Games?

Nice to see a large support, but dont it make the true RU fans a little angry?

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by darthshearer
750k+ people, Hmmm what is the average gates at RU Games?

Nice to see a large support, but dont it make the true RU fans a little angry?

Not really. Its the football fanbois all shouting and getting upset by this country not being 100% interested in the Corrupt, cash driven kick around called football ;)

D

darthshearer

:) DMW

Well Im a RL fan and footy fan so as a Rugby point of view its good to have the support but we all know it will die down. Which IMO is good(ish)

Well Done lads :)

T

Tom

You'll see rugby attendances rise because of the world cup, which can only be a good thing.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Tom
You'll see rugby attendances rise because of the world cup, which can only be a good thing.

Very good, that and hopefully some more investment in "grass roots" rugby. Long long overdue for most sports :(

X

xane

Football audiences go up when their World Cup is played, I'm sure there'd be a lot more "footy fans" if the England team win a major tournament than normal, same for any sport.

Originally posted by Will
At least you'll all shut up about 1966 now.:eek:

Unfortunately no, because the Germans don't have a RU team as such, pity, because somehow I think we'd win the shoot out at the end.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Not really. Its the football fanbois all shouting and getting upset by this country not being 100% interested in the Corrupt, cash driven kick around called football ;)
Not really. It's the English public being proud of our sportsmens achievement. Same as all the people who don't go to football matches who support England in World Cups. Same as all the people who don't follow tennis avidly who support Henman at Wimbledon. Same as all the non athletics enthusiasts who cheer on Great Britain at the Olympic games.

I'll add a ;) like you did so I can pretend this was a jokey answer to prevent any pathetic comebacks by the clueless.

C

Cpt. Paranoia

I've not seen any football fans getting upset by the world cup victory taking the focus off football at all. Many just don't care, the rest are happy that England won something - especially over the Aussies.

X

xane

Same as all the people who don't go to football matches who support England in World Cups. Same as all the people who don't follow tennis avidly who support Henman at Wimbledon. Same as all the non athletics enthusiasts who cheer on Great Britain at the Olympic games.

Football Team - yes, I am a bit of a footy fanboi anyway.
Rugby - I did actually enjoy watching the games, but yes.
Athletics - a bit tainted by druggies, but I'd cheer on England/GB.
Henman - I don't think so

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by xane
Football Team - yes, I am a bit of a footy fanboi anyway.
Rugby - I did actually enjoy watching the games, but yes.
Athletics - a bit tainted by druggies, but I'd cheer on England/GB.
Henman - I don't think so
But you understood my point yes? It's mostly just people being patriotic that any kind of fanbois being upset or bandwagon jumping.

I don't follow county cricket but support England in World Cups and tried (but failed) to get tickets when it was held in England the other year.

D

Deadmanwalking

But you understood my point yes? It's mostly just people being patriotic that any kind of fanbois being upset or bandwagon jumping.

I don't follow county cricket but support England in World Cups and tried (but failed) to get tickets when it was held in England the other year.

The point ...................... you

J

Jonaldo

Usual standard of post I see DMW.

Keep it up kiddo.

D

Deadmanwalking

Usual standard of post I see DMW.

Keep it up kiddo.

If in doubt attempt patronisation, YAY You :clap:

J

Jonaldo

I am both patriotic and patronising in one thread, next I need to patent something and maybe pat someone on teh heed.
And maybe call myself Patricia :( ... maybe Patrick would be easier.

S

(Shovel)

With regards to 1966, I accidently found some of the coverage of the parade through Nodnol, and the first thing the fucking BBC did was to show Geoff Hursts goal (split with the final kick of the Rugby) and then interview one of the 1966 players about how similar it all was.

I am delighted that I have a sporting achievement in my appreciable lifetime at last, and I certainly wont be saying "it's just like '66", but sadly, many people will use it the quench their desire for sucess in thugge... I mean Football.

D

darthshearer

He has got you there tho Jonaldo :)

Bandwagon yet you support England at Cricket world cups, what about the one day thingys? No?

Anyway :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by darthshearer
He has got you there tho Jonaldo :)

Bandwagon yet you support England at Cricket world cups, what about the one day thingys? No?

Anyway :)
ok I think people are confused.

Maybe I shouldn't like to see England do well at anything. If I don't follow a sport 24/7 every day of the year at club level I am not allowed to get behind them when the England team get together for international matches?

As far as the cricket goes, I used the world cup as an example. I'll watch and support England during 1 day series and test matches.

I don't play golf, it's not often on TV but I don't mind the sport and like the Masters. Am I allowed to watch and back the European team in the Ryder Cup please? Pretty please? :( as I'm English which is in Europe but I don't want to jump the bandwagon.

I really don't see peoples problems with supporting ou national teams, just because we aren't avid followers of county/club level.
Most people who cheer the England football team on probably don't regularly go to football matches yet I would never dream of telling them to fuck off from supporting us and bitching at them for jumping on bandwagons, that's just pathetic, and wrong.
I always thought jumping on bandwagons was changing your support or opinions of someone/something just to go along with the crowds, not being proud of ones nationality.

C

Cpt. Paranoia

I don't play golf, it's not often on TV

Scarely does an hour go by without one of the Sky Sports channels showing some Golf.

D

doh_boy

True but they don't have the cool old-guy commentator who just waffles crap for hours because people aren't doing anything. :)

R

Rekin

Originally posted by doh_boy
True but they don't have the cool old-guy commentator who just waffles crap for hours because people aren't doing anything. :)

Peter Alliss commentates on Sky aswell as BBC.

Not wanting to piss on the point about the country getting behind their national teams sports stars, but

World Cups - Support Italy all the way
RWC - I was proud to wear an Australia top during the final, just for some banter. Plus, in a house full on English people it added a bit of atmosphere :)
Henman - I will quite happily support anyone who is playing Tim at Wimbledon. He is shit, and it would be a slur on our great Championships if someone as untalented as him were to win it.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Rekin
Henman - I will quite happily support anyone who is playing Tim at Wimbledon. He is shit, and it would be a slur on our great Championships if someone as untalented as him were to win it.

Someone find this man and give him money... lots of money.

Edit: Forget what i said above, i just noticed this

J

Jonaldo

Add the fact that Henman has been amongst the top players in the world for several years now proves he's talking utter shite.

If Henman had more personality but was even worse I think he would probably get more backing, it's just his middle-class stuck up persona and he has the charisma of a potato.

I'll still back him until someone better comes along from Britain.

R

Rekin

Actually I retract that. Henman is pretty awesome. I have seen no other Tennis player in the history of mankind demonstrate such a convincing ability to choke in major sporting events on home turf.

How many majors has he won?

Precisely. He's toss. Just becuase he's british it doesn't make him any less toss.

Mind you, if you listen to DeadmanWanking (oops typo!!!!!) I'm probably retarded for not knowing a game was out on a platform I have zero interest in. Take from that what you will.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Rekin
I have zero interest in. Take from that what you will.

Ok, your a twat wankin (oops typo)

God this is fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom