Swg

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
Is it worth buying? Or was it largely overrated by 'the crowd'? Is DAoC still better?

Miniman

Fledgling Freddie
Didn't play DAoC so I cannot compare.

Worth buying? Depends on what you want from a game. I personally like it, there's several threads on here for and against and some who have quit.

I don't have too much time to play games (couple of hours per day at most), but I've tried to avoid macro grinding and actually gaining experience properly by using my skills. Admittedly there are some people I see playing who have gained profession after profession far faster than me. But I know I'm never going to be like that so for the why bother.

I think that the game does work for me and the hardcore player who spends hours playing and leveling up. It is a huge game (I only discovered the other day that lights and candles even have a life, candles less as you'd expect). There are lots of professions and lots of quests/goals etc.

It should keep you amused for a long time. I've paid £55 for 3 months play, more than I get out of most games, so for me it was worth buying.

Fram

Fledgling Freddie
as you see in my sig, I've played daoc, and swg is in some parts better and in some parts not, depends if you like pve or rvr

YoungElf

Fledgling Freddie
If you want to play game 24/7 just to compete, DAoC can be excellent choice. Otherwise you're stuck with random groups rvr, where at one of the "portal keeps" you spend usually between 30min - 1 hour to gather half-decent group together for PvP.

Then these ½ decent groups get almost insta-wiped by higher realm rank HC-players group in top gear and "perfect" setup. At this point usually 1 or more people leave the group and you spend some time more to find replacement for em.

So yet it's just same old... people abusing imbalances in game and claiming everyone should play in the way where those HC-gamers have best chances to shine and gain realmpoints fast as possible.

Also the PvE part for leveling in DAoC has gone bit silly, there isn't many groups anymore for leveling. Just some older players doing powerleveling for their new alts. Sure there still are some groups so it might be worth a shot if you have loads of gaming time....

Also what you end up needing for RvR are newly added artifacts that first need 3 rare drop scrolls from some specific type monsters (some have only 2-3 mobs in whole game that "might" drop it), then you at worst camp artifact encounter for days with nothing else to do except look at spawn spot where it might have popped. With 1% chance of spawn in hour and nearly all players in realm/server wanting the same item(most artifacts don't have max spawntime so it might end up for few weeks too).

Also the "perfect" PvE groups part has been raising too, where some classes are not preferred (single target damaging mages) and at worst not wanted at all (stealthers mainly).

Ofcourse this same thing goes into rvr too, some classes are totally unwanted in fullgroups fightings. Say if your tank class don't have access something like determination (reduces effect of crowdcontrol spells by huge amount on you) you're turned down by PvP groups 99% of time.

I haven't yet tried out SWG, but compared to Ultima Online, DAoC has way more annoying class balance fixing ahead if they're going to keep it like fg vs fg fighting on EU servers. Currently there are ½ of the classes unwanted couse they're not favored on the moment and with the all new stuff there is to do before you can be even half-effective in PvP, I can easily understand why most of people haven't rerolled new characters even if they would like to test em out.

Ebonn

Loyal Freddie
SWG is better if you prefer the PvE/RP/crafting aspects of MMO's, but its PvP and high end content is a joke.

pig

Fledgling Freddie
with JTL comming out soon, SWG will become 100x better :D

i have not played Daoc so i cant comment, and SWG was my first realy attempt at an MMORPG. With a decent mix of combat prof / medic and scout you can do most quests and missions solo... But thats not how they intended the game to be played.

Buffs, armour an food have thrown this game out of ballance, the dev team decided to add new Jedi content and the Jump to lightspeed expansion BEFORE fixing the core combat and PVP / GCW (the reason why i quit (for a month :p) )

If you buy SWG now, you will have a few weeks to learn the core game and start on your professions before JTL is released. Then 2-3 months later they should release the next big publish with the GCW / Combat revamp and everyone will be happy :)

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
im trying out the 14 day trial, Im enjoying at the mo bought myself a speeder for 3k, which has helped alot done a few group missions but prefer to do them by myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom