Cyradix

Short version :

gamers are not nerds
gaming is not bad for you
gaming is social
gamers are not all male

B

Belsameth

Roughly two-thirds of college students play video games, but the image of a nerdy guy who spends all day in a dimly lit room blowing up computer-generated bad guys is off base, according to a new study.

A survey by the Pew Internet & American Life Project says that while roughly two-thirds of college students play video games; college gamers are not necessarily male -or anti-social hermits.

I didn't bother to read the rest, this nearly made me choke on my coffee already :p

F

Falcon

For an industry that's supposed to be at the forefront of everything and reporting back the media have always been rediculously slow on this issue, I could've told you 5 years back that a large portion of online gamers are uni students of the type that go out pubbing and clubbing regularly thus having a perfectly active social life. What's more amusing is that fact that they seem suprised about it.

But then, aren't all reporters just fame and attention seeking mid-20 year olds desperately grasping at and reporting on other people's misery, trying to feed their lust for fame and attention? Oops, did I just stereotype reporters?

S

Sharma

Originally posted by Cyradix
gamers are not nerds
gaming is not bad for you
gaming is social
gamers are not all male

thanks for 4 lovely excuses to get at my parents for when they bitch on at me for being anti-social :)

F

Flimgoblin

just because you're a gamer doesn't mean that you're not an anti-social bloke sitting in a dark room all day...

;)

C

cadiva

Originally posted by Falcon

But then, aren't all reporters just fame and attention seeking mid-20 year olds desperately grasping at and reporting on other people's misery, trying to feed their lust for fame and attention? Oops, did I just stereotype reporters?

Urm try most reporters are over 30, couldn't give anything remotely approaching a damn about gamers or the like and add that to shite pay, long hours, no overtime, bosses who blame you whenever the shit hits the fan and bosses who don't say thank you when you do anything over and above the call of duty and you might be getting close.

Most journalists, however, are quite happy working on their local paper doing stories which affect the readership of their own circulation area and couldn't care less about fame and fortune.

And that survey will have been seriously hyped up by the marketing department of survey organisers and farmed out to reporters who need to fill some space somewhere before those aforementioned bosses start yelling.

<---- Spot the journalist of 14 years standing ;)

H

hercules-df

how much would you pay me for nude pictures of Bea Arthur?

P

Pin

Originally posted by hercules-df
you mean pin is not a NERD?

Define nerd.

If you mean 'posessing more intelligence than you', then I'm sure 90% of the population would be defined as such.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Cyradix
Short version :

gamers are not all male

Im not all male?!?!?! OMG where are my breasts damnit.

O

old.LandShark

It worries me that this is news to people
;)

E

Ekydus

And here was I, thinking you were a nerd if you knew all about Greek mythology. :rolleyes:

C

Cyradix

Originally posted by sharma
thanks for 4 lovely excuses to get at my parents for when they bitch on at me for being anti-social :)

I used to tell my parents that gaming is good for the hand-eye coordination, logical thinking, memory, etc.... :D

F

Falcon

Cadiva sorry if you took offence, but your reply was kinda my point, that stereotypes like that are completely wrong, pointless and total bullshit ;)

C

cadiva

Originally posted by Falcon
Cadiva sorry if you took offence, but your reply was kinda my point, that stereotypes like that are completely wrong, pointless and total bullshit ;)

Hehe I didn't take offence pudding, I was showing you yet another stereotype.

Most reporters/journalists who don't actually give a shit about the subject they are writing on work for the big daily newspapers (there are small exceptions), it's the ones who work on your little weekly paper that do care.

So the survey will most likely have been published in its entirety and will be a direct result of the aforementioned public relations/marketing department - now they ARE the devil's spawn.

Very little offends me, it just made me laugh is all ;)

R

Reverant Mezz

10 years ago we were nerds, now most of the population play games its socialy correct! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom