SuperVolcano on the Beeb

Yaka

Part of the furniture
any watched it?

just got round to watching it me self and nifty SFX bit iffy acting but thats not wot is about

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Give more background info please.

Volcano = good entertainment.

Real life?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi old.Tohtori

It's all factually accurate, it just hasn't happened yet (in their words :)). Basically, their is an extremely large expanse of magma underneath Yellowstone national park in America. For a long time nobody actually realised where the volcano was until NASA footage revealed it to encompass a great expanse of the park, tens of miles across in diameter in both directions. As such, to look out from the surface you wouldn't realise there was a volcano present as its beneath lakes and forests and such (I've been fortunate to visit and it's quite beautiful).

Essentially, if the worst were to happen and the volcano erupt, resulting in the most powerful type of explosion (so-called VEI-8 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index) we'd all be pretty much screwed. The surrounding area for 100s of miles would be wiped out, and the rest of America covered in ash to such an extent that even if you did survive, crops would fail, cattle would die and water supplies would be contanimated. Due to the nature of ash, if inhaled it can be fatal (it's likened to your lungs drowning in liquid cement on the program). The resulting ash in theory has the potential to spread across the globe and cause similar widespread damage. Basically, it's an extinction level event at its very worse, killing off vast swathes of life, which on average has happened at Yellowstone every 600,000 years. And the last major supereruption was 640,000 years ago ...

On the brightside, scientists say whilst the program is very accurate, the scenes are a worst case scenario and the volcano could happily erupt without such devasting consequences (as it often has done). Furthermore, the last supervolcano eruption could be up to 100,000 years out in terms of its dating, and even then that's only an average. I wouldn't loose sleep over it, put it that way :)

The second part of Supervolcano is on tonight :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. WikiPedia's article on Supervolcanos

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
*gives Jonty the "Best reply of the Year" award*

Thanks. Sounds cool though and hope to live to see it :p

Tilda

I wanted to watch it, but familys video recorder broken and I have no TV here :<

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just download the torrent from uknova.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I watched 0.0001 seconds of it and just thought that I would only end up bashing my head against sharp corners of things to relieve the pain, so I watched Buzzcocks instead. I'm sick of the doom-mongering scientists saying "Oh well if it happened TOMORROW it would be CATASROPHIC." And so on. Didn't they have a Horizon on this yonks ago ?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
was quite an enjoyable show :)

read bill bryson's book where he goes there so thought i might as well see the TV show too :p

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
We should all do outr best to cause a violent eruption from this volcano, it would solve 2/3s of the World's problems (America). :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Swift^ said:
We should all do outr best to cause a violent eruption from this volcano, it would solve 2/3s of the World's problems (America). :D

Yeah, but it would probably fuck us up too. Better to do the 'super-tsunami' caused by that big overhanging undersea rockshelf in the Canary Islands - that would wipe out the eastern US (oh, and maybe Cornwall, Portugal and a lot of west Africa, but you can't make an omelette...)

Cynical

Fledgling Freddie
How much would England be affected? Everywhere I've looked people have different opinions. This is saying that the worst case scenario happened

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Who cares about you guys south of the border?!

*cracks open a beer with Leggy and Will*

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
according to the program the air would be polluted with a load of sulphur, the temperature would drop 20C but after x years it would be ok again.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Big G said:
Who cares about you guys south of the border?!

*cracks open a beer with Leggy and Will*

where is my beer ya ponce :p

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
You can join use Brynn if you can tear yourself away from your furry four legged Baaa-ing friend ;) :D

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
But Baaaaaaaabara loves me soo, and that eye is always winking at me ;)

Gray

FH is my second home
tris- said:
according to the program the air would be polluted with a load of sulphur, the temperature would drop 20C but after x years it would be ok again.

Ah well, the bastards on Teeside are gonna be fine then, they should be used to it by now

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
tris- said:

Me, being from finland and freezing my butt off anyway on a yearly basis wouldn't be much effected...hmm...bring on the boom :p

Tilda

Tom said:
Just download the torrent from uknova.

The what from the where?! I dont think I can do that with a Uni firewall :(

Tilda

bleh edit timer!
From what I see, uknova dosn't have it as the program itself is out on dvd.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Mazling said:
I watched 0.0001 seconds of it and just thought that I would only end up bashing my head against sharp corners of things to relieve the pain, so I watched Buzzcocks instead. I'm sick of the doom-mongering scientists saying "Oh well if it happened TOMORROW it would be CATASROPHIC." And so on. Didn't they have a Horizon on this yonks ago ?

Well the Beeb also has a Tsunami one in the pipe but they've delayed showing it due to the real Tsunami on boxing day.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Tilda said:
bleh edit timer!
From what I see, uknova dosn't have it as the program itself is out on dvd.

Bugger, oh well. I had that problem when the Beeb released 'The lost films of Mitchell and Kenyon' on DVD, before I had a chance to download the 3rd part. Eventually found it elsewhere.

UKNova is fantastic, British telly downloads - love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom