Superman returns

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Just watched it in IMAX, complete with 3D scenes. It's pretty good apart from a major issue
Superman is the father of Lois' kid, who has superpowers, and is immune to kryptonite.

The 3D bits are ok, but it doesn't quite work right, particularly when the camera is moving as the foreground movement made me a little seasick.

Worth watching tho, standout performance was from Kevin Spacey as Lex, but then he is a proper actor. The guy who played Cyclops in X-Men was ok as well, at least he had a role with a bit of meat to it this time!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
inactionman said:
Worth watching tho, standout performance was from Kevin Spacey as Lex, but then he is a proper actor.

You're avin a larf incha?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The guy from Smallville who plays Lex is far more convincing to be honest, he appears truely unhinged and a bit demonic as well. Ok he has 5 years to build the character up and slowly turn him evil but he has done a stand out job in my opinion. Spacey just came across as your average Hollywood villian, all gusto but no real substance, not once did I get the impression that the guy was a complete loony toon or get goosebumps because he came across as truely scary.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Agree with Chodax tbh, you really get the impression that Lex(smallville) is going fucking crazy inside his head, I guess in the movie though he is already there so you might get the impression straight away?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Calaen said:
I guess in the movie though he is already there so you might get the impression straight away?

I didn't get that impression though, he came across as more Hollywood comedy villian with all the cheesey lines you would expect. I just couldn't take him seriously after seeing Michael Rosenbaum develop the character so well over 5 years, mainly because by the end of those 5 years you could really see that Lex had a very dark side and was at times totally psychotic. It is not that I think that Kevin Spacey isn't a very talented guy, I just don't think he was given the material to work with and so Lex comes across just like all the other Hollywood villians. All style and no substance.

Aada

Part of the furniture
cHodAX said:
The guy from Smallville who plays Lex is far more convincing to be honest, he appears truely unhinged and a bit demonic as well. Ok he has 5 years to build the character up and slowly turn him evil but he has done a stand out job in my opinion. Spacey just came across as your average Hollywood villian, all gusto but no real substance, not once did I get the impression that the guy was a complete loony toon or get goosebumps because he came across as truely scary.

I agree.. is Smallville finished now this film is out? because tbh i'd have rather had another couple of seasons of Smallville then a film ;/

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Smallville is having another series. It was supposed to be finished at 5, but alas it continues.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
ECA said:
six series too many :-[

The way series 5 ended I was begging for series 6.

The funny thing is that halfway through series 5 I just wanted it to end as it felt like it had ran it's course but those last few episodes really ignited my interest again. Mainly because of how great it was to finally see Lex turning into the man he was destined to become.

Aada

Part of the furniture
cHodAX said:
The way series 5 ended I was begging for series 6.

The funny thing is that halfway through series 5 I just wanted it to end as it felt like it had ran it's course but those last few episodes really ignited my interest again. Mainly because of how great it was to finally see Lex turning into the man he was destined to become.

I agree there was no way they could leave at that.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I've already got my tickets booked for the deluxe screen at our nearby Cineworld on the 14th July. I'm gald there's no spoilers in this thread but just to make sure I'm not coming back to it until I've seen the film. \o_

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
WOO!!! Superman Returns is fan-bloody-tastic!

Ticked all the right boxes. It's a great way to introduce Superman to a new generation of fans.

GO SEE IT NOW!

Damini

Part of the furniture
ECA said:
six series too many :-[

I used to think the same. It was all "Oh Clark, why didn't you tell me the truth about [insert generic teen angst or meteor derived weirdness here]..." and Clark would just stand there, gawping, and never defending himself, or voicing the very honest reason why that would defuse all the tension but ruin the TEEN RAGE.

Every.

Damned.

Episode.

It made me hate. However, since Kenny loved the show, I got dragged into later series, and I stopped leaving the room everytime he played them. It gets better later in. I'm not sure how much later in, but it definately does. But they should completely kill off Lana Lang. She may be pretty (for a woman whose head got shrunk in the wash) but she's just so... rubbish.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this film. Thought Superman was well acted, and a tad hot to boot.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
She may be pretty (for a woman whose head got shrunk in the wash) but she's just so... rubbish.

I quite agree. Plus, what is that, like a bucket of make up?

Chloe ftw.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
WPKenny said:
WOO!!! Superman Returns is fan-bloody-tastic!

Ticked all the right boxes. It's a great way to introduce Superman to a new generation of fans.

GO SEE IT NOW!

I couldn't diagree more. The film did nothing for me (nore my friend) we were sat there waiting for it to end, long drawn out and nothing special at all. Not the worst film i've seen but, far from the best.

My spacebar is squeeking.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Did enjoy it, was very impressive in terms of it relating to Superman 1 and 2 as well as a Bryan Singer film, Wasn't sure about Kevin Spacy though, as im used to Micheal Rossenbaum (sry sp) Kevin Spacy just didn't click for me, I think he tried to hard to be like Gene Hackman.

But as for Smallville I hope it continues on and on after the last season finale, I can't wait to find out what happens, though the ending for Clark does seem a bit cliche as a place to put him until the next season starts. But to end things Lana Lang is so stupid yeah because Lex tells u he has powers but is possesed and evil you fall in love with him, because he told you the truth 'what the hell'. It just seems the writers used that as a way to move Lois in and rid Clark of Lana.

Also did anyone notice Lex mentioning Gotham, a little thing but still pretty cool.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
i enjoyed it also, but I thought
louis and clarke were too distant. I mean come on they were close friends.
Louis's husband was too nice I mean you would not want clarke to steal her from him. Spacey was ok but the whole Lex Luther thing was so Hollywood especially the ending where he is on the island.

cant wait for Smallville fucking hope Lana gets it!!!!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Calaen said:
i enjoyed it also, but I thought
Louis's husband was too nice I mean you would not want clarke to steal her from him.

I liked that, I was worried they were gunna have him getting all jealous of Superman and it coming to a confrontation. That'd be such a fucking cliché.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Watched this last night, neither me nor my 14 year old son were impressed, liek Chodax says, the villian was dull and lacked the normal evil enthusiasm of Marvel baddies, the guy playing the big man was as dull as dishwater, and Louis was just not dynamic at all.

Oh, and yes he does show a role model to this generation, pops a sprog with Louis on their first date with obviously unprotected sex, buggers off without thought of maintenance or the childs well being, comes back into the kids life 5 years later and without a thought for the kids replacement father figure steps back in to say hi, as well as just wondering into the kids room in the middle of the night (which would normally result in calling the cops and a huge peodophile investigation!). Yup, kinda sums up todays generation.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
old.Whoodoo said:
Watched this last night, neither me nor my 14 year old son were impressed, liek Chodax says, the villian was dull and lacked the normal evil enthusiasm of Marvel baddies, the guy playing the big man was as dull as dishwater, and Louis was just not dynamic at all.

Oh, and yes he does show a role model to this generation, pops a sprog with Louis on their first date with obviously unprotected sex, buggers off without thought of maintenance or the childs well being, comes back into the kids life 5 years later and without a thought for the kids replacement father figure steps back in to say hi, as well as just wondering into the kids room in the middle of the night (which would normally result in calling the cops and a huge peodophile investigation!). Yup, kinda sums up todays generation.

For starters, the time Supes shagged Lois he'd made the decision to become mortal as he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Lois (i.e. marry her) so it was hardly a one night stand.
At the time he left neither Lois nor Supes knew there was a baby on the way so he wasn't duty bound to stick around. And even if Lois DID know she'd decided not to tell Supes so it's hardly his fault.
And as for sneaking into the kid's bedroom it was a case of a father visiting his son. He wanted to do it with minimal disruption to Lois and her fiance and, being superman and all that, he was able to fly in the window.
Don't be so reactionary. :p

I thought the film was great. Ticked all the right boxes for me. Lex could have been meaner but I think it's hard to follow Gene Hackman and not look like you're trying to parody/immitate him. I an understand why people didn't like it tho as it was far from a perfect movie but it was definitely made with a sense of caring about the character.

Platin

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:

I think you got it wrong, that's the 80's superman/generation of fathers. Superman returns is just a victim of their mentality

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom