News Super fast mobile broadband

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, technically and at peak.

Seems interesting enough though, especially as it's uselessly over the top.

Marc

FH is my second home
I download 24/7, therefore it would be great for me!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I download 24/7, therefore it would be great for me!

Well yeah, if you d/l with your mobile in the gigabytes/hour scale, then it would be :D

If it actually managed 325mb solid, you couldn't watch crap as fast a you could load it. Two seasons of house in a minute flat?

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
yes, and the holy grail of billions of pounds worth of worthless 3G licenses tell me that this is going to be a stinking pile of dog shit

Lethul

FH is my second home
Well yeah, if you d/l with your mobile in the gigabytes/hour scale, then it would be :D

If it actually managed 325mb solid, you couldn't watch crap as fast a you could load it. Two seasons of house in a minute flat?

You know how streaming works don't you)

The Swedish Internet companies lost a case here a while ago which means they now have to state that it is the maximum speed, and in reality it will be much lower :) With mobile broadband that is.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You know how streaming works don't you)

The Swedish Internet companies lost a case here a while ago which means they now have to state that it is the maximum speed, and in reality it will be much lower :) With mobile broadband that is.

Yes and what i said :lol:

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
99% of the stuff on the internet is illegal to download but they still keep giving us faster connections.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
completely pointless bandwidth

Even with my 50meg i find there are alot of sites that dont support it so they arent any faster. Also alot of servers wont let you download from them at near that speed

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
And the rest are pictures of tris-'s mother naked.

If 1% of all things on the internet we're tris- mum that probably meant that she's spent her WHOLE life with a photographer going click click click

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Interesting idea.
If the current data model for mobile networks is anything to go by, it's not going to be financially attractive. I get unlimited* data on my O2 contract but it would cost a fortune if I didn't have a data plan.
* unlimited meaning no more than 230MB in a month or we'll be in touch.

You can download at ++Mbps but because of the network's FUP, you'll eat up your monthly allowance in about 10 minutes. Nice. :(

OFC if this came out in the UK, BT, VM and all the major ISPs would be up in arms.
BT provide "up to" 8Mbps, but are working on providing FTTC VDSL at 40Mbps.
VM are now at 50Mbps but you get throttled for actually using it at "peak times".
Various ISPs are providing "up to" 24Mbps through LLU.

100Mbps from LTE would simply blow away the fixed line business if they priced it right.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
i agree, like the man said in american gangster, make the product twice as good at half the price

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I have Virgin's 20mbs line and love it - cept if I use it for more than 30 mins during the day I get throttled to 25% speed for a few hours...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Virgin lie, I am on 20 mb and have been throttled outside of their peak times. It's a shame because cable broadband under telewest was easily the best in the country.

Also they are not giving you 50mb -if you believe the lie and are happy to pay the price then fair enough, but there are better quality services on adsl. I honestly would not give virgin any more money than I had to, cannot wait to leave them once I have enough cash saved to switch to sky.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
why do you need cash to switch, is it for the "setup fee" (at least dick turpin wore a hat)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Oh yeah, I meant for TV nath, wanted to go o2 for broadband, as I have a contract phone with them.

Brooky - cost of converting the phone line back to BT (biggest fucking con going), the loss I'll make on my cable router that I only bought last year, whatever sky's installation costs are. It's things I cannot afford being unemployed right now, but virgin goes from bad to worse :(

Marc

FH is my second home
Im with sky. £10 a month for unlimited bandwith at 20mbs. Due to my location I get 14-15mbs and ive never been throttled and I download like 24/7. Been with them over a year and havent lost connection once.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Oh yeah, I meant for TV nath, wanted to go o2 for broadband, as I have a contract phone with them.

Brooky - cost of converting the phone line back to BT (biggest fucking con going), the loss I'll make on my cable router that I only bought last year, whatever sky's installation costs are. It's things I cannot afford being unemployed right now, but virgin goes from bad to worse :(

This is slightly off topic from the original thread, but anyway.

You can get free line installation with BT, however you have to make 10 calls a month or 30 calls per quarter, either charged or included with your package (eg. free weekend calls). More details available here. BT have been running similar offers for a while now (first half price installation, then quarter price, now free), however just remember that it's an 18 month contract as well as the calls you have to make.

O2 will give £50 cashback through Quidco if you sign up for home broadband. Certainly a decent offer.

Sky may pay for your BT installation if you go with them for your broadband and phone line. However I think you have to phone up for this one to get it.

Now is as good a time as any to switch between cable and ADSL.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Virgin lie, I am on 20 mb and have been throttled outside of their peak times. It's a shame because cable broadband under telewest was easily the best in the country.

Also they are not giving you 50mb -if you believe the lie and are happy to pay the price then fair enough, but there are better quality services on adsl. I honestly would not give virgin any more money than I had to, cannot wait to leave them once I have enough cash saved to switch to sky.

i test it all the time and ive never gone under 50meg, its usually 51

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
i test it all the time and ive never gone under 50meg, its usually 51

like I said if you are happy to believe the lie. Also speedtests are a poor judge, as are the downloads virgin give you to test the line. They make a lot of money out of the 50mb service, they should use it to improve the quality of their overall service.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Well i tend to believe what i have tested (i'm not a general end user btw i do work in IT so not stupid) i dont use any tests they provide. I use 2 or 3 different ones for second and third opinions. And i believe what is written by them, its one thing to forget to disclose information, its another to outright lie.

I tend to believe my own experiences

What i dont tend to believe is some random on a forum.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I will have to be getting virgin soon (will be getting the integrated net/tv package)

So worth paying that bit more for the 50meg?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Have to be getting??

TV is awful tbh mate, the latest v boxes are better than the old ones, but they suffer from bad software -the program guide is slow and awful. You often have to reboot them. The premium channels cost about the same as sky, but you do not get the red button content on sky sports etc. If you want any HD content forget it, all you get is bbc hd and some on demand stuff.

As for the broadband, I'm on 20meg, and the throttling can be annoying, but I don't download that much so it only affects me when I download the odd huge files. Pings and loss in games will be no different on 2meg or 50meg, so for gaming it will not matter.

You need to ask yourself if spending that much extra is needed, do you really need that mp3 in 30 seconds instead of 1 minute? Is it going to effect your life that much? I've not had any web content yet that I've struggled to stream at 20meg, so you won't need 50meg for that.

Remember Virgin are in-bed with the music and film industry bodies, are still considering Phorm, and have a really poor traffic management policy compared to sky, o2 etc. Avoid them if you have any other choice.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
I had a couple in today whos daughter had been caught by their ISP for downloading pirated music. I hadnt really taken it seriously untill then.

Not exactly on topic, but just to say it is happening to real people and not just americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom