Subscriptions

X

Xavier

Am I the only person who thinks £35 is a little steep for a game which is online-only and costs an additional £10 odd after the first "free" month?

At least with normal games you're buying offline content directly, which means the media and manuals have a value... with games like PS there's nothing to do offline (except the gh3y training), so that effectively leaves us paying £35 for the first months subs...

It would be nice to see someone break the mould and at least give an initial subscription period equal to the value of the purchase, 3 months maybe would be adequate... it would also mean early adopters weren't so heavily penalised losing their first month due to bugged and raped gameplay... they might even get a month or so of gaming which resembles the product in the long-term.

Alternatively maybe they should offer metered gametime, in many ways that would make more sense... so you get the first 150 hours free, and then pay if you decide to continue to play...

we that way we could at least stop playing while they b0rk the game with bothed patches and not waste the free period which is by no means free - it's cost 3x more than the rest of your subscription...

</rant>

Sorry, I don't enjoy moaning about this, for once I think the likes of GOA deserve credit... they fucked up with DAoC in Europe plenty and they gave their customers both XP and extra days on their subscriptions... Look at games like AC2 and PS and the best we can expect is some kind of weak ass apology...

The game rocks, I really enjoyed it til last week... but imo the recent patches cocked everything up, so right now I'm one v. unhappy customer.

C

Cronn

1. Shop around, it only cost me £25

2. That money pays for the development costs of the game and the set up costs of the servers

3. I personally have barely had any problems playing or running the game. A couple of lockups is about it.

C

Cadire

I've has some problems, mainly weird graphic, and slightly off 3D sounds, mostly since the last patch... but the devs do seem to be responsive to bugs, which is a good thing.

I'll be renewing my subscription (and cancelling my DAoC ones!).

E

Esoteric

Never ever pay £35-39 in a retail outlet always buy online, if they think a game will be popular they will hike the retail margin up as far as they think they can get away with. Buy your games from online stores, there business ethos is to sell at the lowest possible price they can afford to making the volume sold with a small profit far out weigh the profit gained from a final retail outlet margin.

If you have an online connection and you still buy in retail stores then frankly you need your head looking at ;-p. You get the same product in the end for 33% cheaper sometimes 40%-50%. It does exactly the same thing that the retail ones do and your not being sold a cd short ;-p. Atm play.com have my vote no shipping add on fee woo hoo and 2 days shipping time on planetside in the end. I was ready to reinstall ut original cause I thought PS would take a week.

C

Cronn

I bought my planetside in a real life shop that i had to go out of my house for and everything!!

E

Esoteric

I spent the £10 spare I had from the game buying some drinks for a few girls in the end I got laid by one hmmmm spend £10 extra in a store or use the money for getting laid ventures.

Difficult one that.

Sure buy other bits you need in town but its really pure common sense to buy games online if you don't then Im sorry but yout a bit of a fool.

W

whipped

Maybe he had some gift vouchers for his birthday or something?

C

Custy

Buying online is ok if its something you know you want but a lot of people buy games on impulse, they have nothing to do all day and they want a new toy, they dont want to wait for delivery.

W

Will

I buy IRL because when I buy something, I want it NOW and want to play with it straight away.

P

[PS]Mung

I, like Esoteric, buy online when ever possible. Not due to the fact that I'm a sad loner who never leaves his house, but because it saves me money.

Plain and simple. The more money I save, the more I have to spend on the next MMOG. ;)
Anyway, usually I get games from PLAY.COM, but in this case I got it from Game online becasue they promised delivery on day of launch.
They were wrong though, I actually got it the day before release. :)

T

throdgrain

Im like you Will, if I want something I want it NOW, and I couldnt give a fuck about saving £8,99 or whatever it may be.
On this occasion though, i have regretted my impulsiveness , as i hAve ended up with yet another game on my pc I won't play :/
Seriously mate, I know you and everything, do you really think this is a good game ?? Im astounded :(

E

Esoteric

Originally posted by [PS]Mung
I, like Esoteric, buy online when ever possible. Not due to the fact that I'm a sad loner who never leaves his house, but because it saves me money.

Plain and simple. The more money I save, the more I have to spend on the next MMOG. ;)
Anyway, usually I get games from PLAY.COM, but in this case I got it from Game online becasue they promised delivery on day of launch.
They were wrong though, I actually got it the day before release. :)

Now Im unsure if you are having a go there.

I simply buy where it is for the best value, if retail outlets were cheaper I would buy there. If there was a couple of £'s difference I wouldn't worry too much but anything over a fiver makes me think about it. Like most people Im not rolling in it so I have to balance my finances and games come under entertainment along with cinema/clubbing/pubs/sports etc. To be honest even if I was wealthy I would still be careful with where I buy my things and the value I am getting. Thats just me.

How many of you buy your pc bits from pc world?? not many I bet. In fact I'd wager most buy online WHY? cause you get the best value for money and the latest technology very fast. Does this make people loners, loosers, hobbits?? Of course not.

At Uni I have studied the evolution of online retail and the cross section of people buying online are not loners/loosers/hobbits they are surprisingly ordinary people who are ruthless with finances and spending.

Eso

P

[PS]Mung

Originally posted by Esoteric
Now Im unsure if you are having a go there.

No, no, not at all, It must have read funny to you.

I was defending the supposition some may make to a previously hinted acqusation Cronn made earlier.

Originally posted by Cronn
I bought my planetside in a real life shop that i had to go out of my house for and everything!!

See. No offense intended.

P

[PS]Mung

Odd Bw post error, didn't update the thingy whatsit.

S

SilverHood

i wanted the game on that day, called up GAME in woking, asked them if they had it

they said yes
I said put one aside for me mate

I walk into game, ask for my copy of PS... "uhm, we're all sold out"

wtf? I called an hour ago, someone said they'd put away a copy for me

uhm, nothing here

*sigh*

walk down to the other GAME shop in woking

got PS in stock?
"uhm, we're all sold out"
*sigh*

(notices that there's about 10 people behind me all asking for PS too)

"hey, I called an hour ago... said he'd put away a copy for me"

ah... name.... *I give details*

and lo and behold, the last PS copy in Woking :D

all the other nerds around me go quiet, and I walk of with the prize

hey, call me sad, but paying an extra tenner to see those guys faces was worth it

and it meant I didn't have to wait for amazon and royal mail :)

T

Tenko

Well I went to GAME on the day it was released and asked if they had PS, they said "yes, £35 please"

I said "Oh, well if Gamestation aint got it i'll come back"

"They said Ok £28.99 then" and I said

"ok" :D

So I could of got it £5 cheeper online and would of done so if I didn't mind waiting even a couple of days but it was Thursday and I wanted it then! So you pays your money and you makes your choice. £5 is worth walking around town for but not missing out on 2 days playing (or longer mind, not every company delivers as quickly as Amazon :p).

But if you paid £35 pounds or more your a sucka! :D

C

Cadire

I was in Crawley PCWorld, looking at a wireless router I was going to buy online, when I saw Planetside on the shelf. I bought it for £34.99.

I could have saved a few quid buying it online, but I like to have game stuff right away... and tbh I'm not a starving student or anything (anymore :)), so it was no big deal to spend an extra couple quid for instant access..

J

Jonaldo

Sony rang me up at home at said "hey! we need some funky hipster groovish people to play our game so others won't think it's just lots of geeks that never go out and just sit indoors playing games", and that they were willing to pay for the game and free subscription for a year.

I told them I didn't know anyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom