Subscription for QW Servers?

C

cosmos

I wouldnt donate a urine sample to play on those lag infested servers.

Thankya Thankya

O

oldman

heh

qw's such a minute cpu drain it should clearly still be free but nevermind :(

O

oldman

oi und also it mentions on membership thing that its free to play in barrysworld leagues, does that mean the tdm servers can still be used for smackdown? i very much doubt ppl would wanna sign up for one game heh

L

lecter

heh well if you dont pay things will never get any better. What about the 5 years of playing qw free of charge on bw services, the leagues etc. Is that not worth the 1year 12quid subscription alone?

O

oldman

take qw players, we have like 6 servers all running on one box, and we have to pay £12 a year to fund the 50 billion or so cs/q3/rtcw servers. which are like 3 to a box.

its the principle not the actual expense, should just have fewer servers and charge for leagues not publics.

and playing in leagues is free at the mo (yay?), well qw doesn't have any barrys leagues but cs does more bias etc. mern mern

i get 3 months free cos my adminy state so ill see what its like and then decide, but as many qw ppl wont pay theres not gonna be anyone to play and shouldn't admins get free membership? :]

The thing is, Barryservers (the rented ones) are stupidly overpriced as it is, far more expensive than any other UK server provider.

Public servers are mostly crap in peak times, CS'ers have a minimum of 150 ping.

Public server admins dont get paid (so theres no expense there)

You now have to pay to use the FTP? sorry but theres far better mirrors out there than BW.

If Barrysworld had summat 'extra' that was decent an offer (somthing far better than other gaming networks) I'd happily give them me dosh.

Tbh if i ran barrys id cut the servers down by about 50%, just offer qw/cs/cpm with pingboost/high cpu priority and offer a much better speed/server quality than any other service.

O

oldman

ironic pic btw heh

smile_subs_o.gif

S

SpookyD

Arses

Incidentally, who wants to bet Quakeworld will be the first casualty of 'empty server syndrome' due to BW subscription scheme?

We all know what empty servers lead to... (RIP Tribes 1.)

O

old.Tezz

Well i've bought a subscription, so there's no excuse for you lot!

C

cosmos

Im not gonna. I wont miss FPS gaming, its such a drain of life.

heh well, id quite like to forget everything and start Doom 3 "fresh" as a newbie. Knowing what you're doing sucks! :<

Anyway, bye QW and 3 cheers for Battlenet \o/ \o/ \o/ ...

H

HangTime

I agree with lecter, the years of free service make the subscription worthwhile. However I am probably too tight to go about setting up a membership as I don't really need the servers anymore. FFA is a nice way to pass the time, but 4on4 is where it's at and there are better server alternatives as far as that is concerned.

Finding free servers isn't as much of a problem in QW as it is in other games like CS, so while it will be a shame to see QW @ barrys finished it wont have that big an effect on the overall scene. there's over a dozen western european ktpro/kteams servers offering sub 40 pings to uk broadbanders, and 5 or 6 ffa.

BW made the correct decision imo, it's time to start harvesting back some $$$. It's bad from a personal standpoint, but you can't expect to get something for nothing indefinitely.

C

cenobite

Would a more sensible thing to do (shock horror some thought involved) not be for everyone in the UK QW community (im sure its got to stage of when it was originally when everyone knew everyone) to chip together to get a server in uk? Just look around for best deal/flexibility and then you will always have a ffa server that can be made into a ca/tdm server or whatever.

Always good to have a server you have complete control over. I currently have a server that can be used for any game and its always nice to be able to play any game you want and have full control over it.

All depends if you are willing to put in effort/money/time. And rarely do people want to spare any of the above when moaning is far easier

C

cosmos

Why dont all the QW players move into a big house and have a permanent lan!

Or maybe a shed would be big enough.

C

Ch3tan

If you want BW to have a QW league, then why not set one up and run it yourself Oldman? All the leagues are run by volunteers.

Heh, what the hell am I doing here? /me runs.

S

splifie

am

much would a server cost with good hosting ceno ?

Users who are viewing this thread