Style growth rates

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Can someone explain how style growth rates work, in four years odd i still have never found out.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Can someone explain how style growth rates work, in four years odd i still have never found out.

Well for normal styles (not Critical Strike). The growth rate is the increase to your base damage. The growth rates varies between about 0.5 (for say and anytime taunt) to just over 1 (for behind styles like levi).

The trouble is that style damage is reduced if you swing faster but base damage isn't so its better to judge growth rate as a comparison between styles rather than an absolute value.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Well for normal styles (not Critical Strike). The growth rate is the increase to your base damage. The growth rates varies between about 0.5 (for say and anytime taunt) to just over 1 (for behind styles like levi).

The trouble is that style damage is reduced if you swing faster but base damage isn't so its better to judge growth rate as a comparison between styles rather than an absolute value.

does it stop and reset to zero if you are blocked or parried?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It's not something that constantly grows! It's just a static number for a style which alters the amount of damage you do if you perform the style successfully.

Some links to an old spreadsheet are here: Spydor`s Web - DAoC. The data is probably old now with the minor tweaks to the lines over the months/years, but it'll give you an idea.

Leviathan is listed as 0.80, whilst Python is listed as 0.25. So if you spam Python you'll only get a 25% increase in damage from an unstyled hit, but with Leviathan you'll get an 80% increase in damage.

This is just a basic example and the page I've linked to gives you specifics. There are other things to take into consideration such as DDs in the style etc.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
The term 'growth rate' is confusing and for ages I thought, prolly same as what your thinking, that it was some factor by which ur damage increased by every sucessful hit in a chain.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Dunno why some more accurate term like 'damage multiplier' or someshit wasn't used.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
It's fubared anyway.

When Backstab I hits for 400 damage while you have 4 in CS and when 2H styles do 200-300 damage less on cloth targets than they used to do (with no patch notice) you know how reliable Mythic can code.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
Exactely, a style with 0.5 growth rate doesn't mean it does 50% more damage or anything, it's just a number that is used in a formula to calculate damage.

You're base damage(unstyled damage) remains the same no matter how much quickness and haste/celerity you have, but the styled bonus adds a constant number to your DPS, you might say.

Let's say you're swinging your weapon every 4 sec. Your base damage is 200 and the style damage adds another 200 for a total of 400 per hit.
Then you add some quick and/or haste and are now swinging every 2 sec, twice as fast. Your base damage will still be 200, but since you're swinging twice as fast, the style damage will only be half as much, or 100, for a total of 300 per hit.
Your damage per hit will decrease, but your DPS will increase significantly. A style with higher growth rate will just add more styled damage.

Of course, you have the whole melee variance thing, so when you pull off a 2-part style chain where the 2nd style has a higher growth rate, the 2nd style may sometimes hit for less than the first style.

I'm not too good at explaining things in english, but i hope i made some sense. :)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Big number = good.
Small number = bad.

There's consise accurate summary! :drink:

Valmerwolf

Regular Freddie
I'm sorry, I've only the informations in Italian language...
Tabelle ed informazioni utili

You can extrapolate something from them, there is also a section with the formulas for the Growth Rate.
But they come and are revisitated from the Spydor's site...

Chance

Loyal Freddie
DAoC-TB

this have growth rates of all styles and alot of other very usefull char crap and its in english or german

Bahumat

FH is my second home
It's super easy to understand

Base dmg isn't affected by the style like mentioned above.

Style dmg is what the growth rate affects, the growth rate figure gives an approximate increase to the styles dmg.

When you hit someone it looks something akin to You hit noob for 100 (+25). The +25 is the style's dmg. Your growth rate iirc does not give a static increase in dmg, more a variance. So in the example we gain +25, this could fluctuate between +20 - +30.

Might be totally wrong but this is what I was told and it sounds correct lol.

Inso

One of Freddy's beloved
It's super easy to understand

Base dmg isn't affected by the style like mentioned above.

Style dmg is what the growth rate affects, the growth rate figure gives an approximate increase to the styles dmg.

When you hit someone it looks something akin to You hit noob for 100 (+25). The +25 is the style's dmg. Your growth rate iirc does not give a static increase in dmg, more a variance. So in the example we gain +25, this could fluctuate between +20 - +30.

Might be totally wrong but this is what I was told and it sounds correct lol.

The growth rate is a static increase in damage, but the increase is based of the basedamage. So when the base damage varies, the end result will vary. But the growth rate is always constant, aside from being modified by swing speed (qui, haste, celerity).

So when your style damage varies (between +20 and +30 in the example above) it's actually your base damage that varies and thus you get different values on the style damage.

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
as i understand it

100(-25), you do 100 damage, 25 more was possible but resists made your damage less

20(-5) same thing, you just hit a paladin with 1100 af instead of a cloth wearer. Paladin happens to have same resist to your damage type

Base damage is the damage you do on a gray con without styles

f.i.

1000(-120)
or
1000(+130)

same damage, different resists.

Now i do the same with a style with a growth rate of 0,87

you hit gray con for 1000 + 0,87 x 1000 = 1870(+/-whatever) damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom