Strange Vista problem

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all

Got a very strange Vista problem atm. When I try to run daoc, it crashes at char. selection screen. This might seem like it can't write to a file or something, pretty sure I have done so it should be able to, makeing my user the owner of all the files in the folder and giveing me full permission.

Now the more strange part is tho, that if I copy the game to my second harddisk (d:) and I try to run it, it works oO

Anyone got any idea how to solve this? Would be greatly appriciated :)

Thanks in advance
- Steffan

PS. It's Vista Business version

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
With DAOC not vista compatable, the only way most have got it 2 work is have daoc on a different Hard drive to there windows folder.

Dunno why it just seems to work :D

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
Hm okay, just pretty odd it works when you put it on another drive hehe :p

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
It might be unrelated but if your monitor or vid card can't handle the resolution that's been set it will bomb out after u select your char and try and load the game.

(This has happened to me on 2k and xp after i changed monitor or gfx card)

So maybe change the res in options to a standard one like 1024x768

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
Affraid it's not that Mojo, but thanks for the input :) Tried changing it already, didn't help anything. I was told that I need to add the .dll's and exe's to windows defender or something, but got no idea how to do this, anyone?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
U upgraded to Vista? Or is it a fresh install? Either way 1st of all check that u got effective write rights on the Daoc Dir.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Have your tried changing the exe to run in windows xp mode. Also making sure your account is a administrator and not restricted helps with some problems.

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
The user account got administrator priviligies, and it's a fresh install. Gahn, how do I check if I got effective rights on? And how do I turn it on if I need to? Thanks.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If your account in an administrator you have full access to everything

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone know how to add .dll's and .exe's to windows defender?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
The user account got administrator priviligies, and it's a fresh install. Gahn, how do I check if I got effective rights on? And how do I turn it on if I need to? Thanks.

Well u open Explorer and go to the Directory where the program reside, then right click and check Authorizations (can't check atm cause i got it at home but should be the right path). U need to check if in the Rights list all checkboxes are checked for either your user or the group where your user resides (Administrators i guess in your case since u claim to have Admin rights).

As for Defender i actually got no idea cause it seems to do all by its own.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Well u open Explorer and go to the Directory where the program reside, then right click and check Authorizations (can't check atm cause i got it at home but should be the right path). U need to check if in the Rights list all checkboxes are checked for either your user or the group where your user resides (Administrators i guess in your case since u claim to have Admin rights).

As for Defender i actually got no idea cause it seems to do all by its own.

Actually u can open Defender, click Tools and choose Quarantine to check if it put any part of Daoc client in it. It shouldn't even start altho.

soze

I am a FH squatter
To add a programme to the safe list you have to click allow always when it asks if Defender dose not ask you if you want to run it then its alreadt allowed. Soulds silly but have you tried right click run as Administrator on the exe not the shortcut.

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
Soulds silly but have you tried right click run as Administrator on the exe not the shortcut.

Yes, and have also tried compatibility mode for windows2000 and XP aswell :( It so uber strange, how come it's able to run on the other drive on not the C:?

Gonna try and check the Defender settings etc. Haven't had the best of luck googling on the subject, not much info available on the net yet.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yes, and have also tried compatibility mode for windows2000 and XP aswell :( It so uber strange, how come it's able to run on the other drive on not the C:?

Gonna try and check the Defender settings etc. Haven't had the best of luck googling on the subject, not much info available on the net yet.

The vista help topics are not useless might be worth checking that but i can't remember seeing a away of manually adding to defender

Steffan-

Fledgling Freddie
This is how the error log windows create looks like:

-------------

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: game.dll
Application Version: 0.1.5.2
Application Timestamp: 4538fa84
Fault Module Name: game.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.1.5.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 4538fa84