strange sounds from my pc

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
well my pc has been makin some odd noises of late kinda like a "warr warr warr" however it seems to of stopped now an seems to have been doing it on hot days but i dunno if thats just coincidence or what as i dont know how to check my CPU temp but with GPU its been around 57 on those days an when it was cold it was at about 36 when playin daoc for long periods so basically any ideas on wheather its overheating or if my hard drive is playin up?

system is:
AMD athlon 64 3200 with HT
asus A8N-SLI N-force mobo
1gb DDR pc3200LL RAM
XFX geforce 7800GT (256mb)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Cemeterygates said:
well my pc has been makin some odd noises of late kinda like a "warr warr warr" however it seems to of stopped now an seems to have been doing it on hot days but i dunno if thats just coincidence or what as i dont know how to check my CPU temp but with GPU its been around 57 on those days an when it was cold it was at about 36 when playin daoc for long periods so basically any ideas on wheather its overheating or if my hard drive is playin up?

system is:
1gb DDR pc3200LL RAM

If that "warr warr warr" has a grinding sound it's probably a fan that's about to die... if it's a smooth sound it probably is resonance between two fans.
If two similar fans are spinning at exactly the same speed, they'll amplify their sound. If one of them is spinning just a minescule bit slower, they'll wave between amplification and cancellation.

Teslacoil

Can't get enough of FH
Cemeterygates said:

system is:
1gb DDR pc3200LL RAM

hmm do i see a AMD with HT ? if my memory isn't misstaken amd don't have that :), anyway just get a zalman processor fan and it will be all right again , or u can also check if any cables are in the way happens sometimes they get in touch with the fan.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Teslacoil said:
hmm do i see a AMD with HT ? if my memory isn't misstaken amd don't have that :), anyway just get a zalman processor fan and it will be all right again , or u can also check if any cables are in the way happens sometimes they get in touch with the fan.

Amd got a technology called HyperTransport, its shortened HT (its not the same as HyperThreading on intels)

the warr warr warr sounds could either be worn down bearings in a fan, or your harddrive on the way to crash, I surgest you backup any important data, and then try and download a disk check utility from the manefacturer of your harddrives website, if you cant find these things yourself, leave me the name, and product code of the disk and ill see if i can find the right one for you.

hardrives got a system called S.M.A.R.T, its a selfdiagnostics system that can tell about how well your harddrive are, this you can check with, fex. SpeedFan, which you can download here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan428.exe

install it, and look under the tab called S.M.A.R.T and look at the 2 bars in the bottom, and if there is anywhere amond the lines there is other than green circles with OK

Thornea

Loyal Freddie
Its usually old fans protesting at consta use/dust build up..
Take side off your pc and listen carefully.. try to identify what component/fan its comming from.
If its a fan.. lift the label off the center of the fan.. there maybe a small plastic cap under, if so lift this off.. place a small amount of vaseline or oil into cavity, replace cap/label and problem will be sorted.
If its comming from the HD, well thats a different (usually not nice) problem

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Its most likely to be a fan, when pc is off clean off the fans, usually it is dust that makes them unbalenced and so when they spin they rattle. Other more worrying problems could be the HD, but it would make a much worse sound and you'd notice the system running differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom