strange problem with nvidia card and xp

T

Tom

Windows XP pro
Nvidia GeforceMX420

Every time I boot up windows, the video display defaults to some low-res very slow 'rescue mode'. The only way to get the driver for the nvidia working is to go into hardware manager, disable it, and then reenable it straight away. Then, everything is fine.

It's a bit annoying, and I don't know if it has anything to do with installing DX9. Is there a recognised solution to this problem?

S

(Shovel)

It's definately loading Windows proper and not Safe Mode?

Try uninstalling the driver - possibly using one of the "nvremove"-like utilities and then reinstalling the last know working version.

DX9 shouldn't cause the probably, in so far as it works for most people no problems.

T

Tom

I think its to do with DX9. I can't find any way of removing it and going back to DX8. Don't suppose I can install DX8 over DX9 can I?

D

Deadmanwalking

Directx cannot be replaced by an older version no.

Only way to start again as such is to format ur OS.

T

Tom

I just found a cool utility that removes directx9, and replaces it with 8.1 (from the xp installation discs)

so :p deadman

T

Tom

Well it definitely is not a hardware problem, I installed XP onto another drive, and it boots up fine every time. Therefore I can only assume that it is some kind of problem with XP itself.

What does 'repair' do as an installation option?

C

Cdr

Dont quote me on this, but, I think it searches the windows installation and copies over any broken files, or corrupt ones.

I've used it on a couple of occasions to fix Windows and it seemed to work.

T

Tom

Were you using the same thing? I'm talking about when u reinstall, and it reboots and presents you with a repair option "r" on a blue DOS screen.

When I hit r, it asks me which os I want, then the admin password, then it just goes to the command line, and does nothing.

T

Tom

Where is the registry in xp?

ok, fingers crossed, I copied elements pertaining to geforce4 from the new installation registry, and imported them into my old registry, it seems to be a bit happier now.

I'm not impressed that there is no program to run under windows that can check and repair the installation.

D

Deadmanwalking

regedit in run box

That the registry edit if that is what you are on about :)

T

Tom

nah i meant the file itself, so i can finish copying the rest of the new install registry across

T

Tom

I think its user.dat in documents and settings dirs.

Annoying, because I can't actually open these files without regedit prompting to integrate the whole thing into my reg, which is not somethign i want to do

T

Tom

I think its the PSU. Mine is 160W, which I'm told is a little bit weedy compared to newer computers. This appears to be bourne out by my not being able to find one that supplys less than 350W. I ran some nvidia hack, and it reported that the card was running in low power mode. I have also seen the image onscreen 'twitch' slightly, occasionally.

http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=59490

That one looks ok, do they have the same physical dimensions as my ATX one now?

M

mookie

yeah thats a fine PSU tom, i bought the exact one from scan a cpl of weeks back to put in my mums machine, 6(or 8, cant remember) 4 pin molex connectors,a p4 connector and a whole bunch of others i dont know about :)
all ATX PSUs are generally the same dimensions, unless its a small one for a shuttle or some other dinky little case. i know for a fact that one is standard ATX size.

T

Tom

God damn piece of junk. It still won't work properly.

Gonna take the card to another computer to test it.

Computer = bin.....shortly

T

Tom

I installed windows onto the same drive as a dual boot system, and guess what? The card works perfectly.

I couldn't help but giggle hysterically at the 'windows will never crash' type messages as the new install went up.

*gibbering wreck*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom