Strange network issue

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
This is really my last resort post having tried everything I can think of.

We are running a LAN via an NTL broadband connection and router. Over the last few months we have been getting lag spikes which have recently become LD's. When it happens all the computers on the network go at the same time - but it is very brief, long enough to ld but then it's up again right after. Sometimes it can be 2 or 3 hours before it happens sometimes it can happen every few minutes, no pattern to it at all.

We've bought a new (different make/model ) router, had the cable modem replaced and changed all the ethernet cables.

When we connect directly to the cable modem the problem disappears, similarly when we connect the modem via the USB connection to a laptop and then use that to connect the rest of the network the problem disappears.

So there is something happening when we use the ethernet connection on the cable modem and a router.

I'd welcome any suggestions of things to try to fix it because using my high spec laptop as a server isnt really a long-term option :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
All i can offer is that many cheap home network routers really are of crap quality. Its probably worth it to buy a more expensive model intended for workplaces etc.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Uhm u sure got a switch or such between your pcs and the router ain't ya?
Could try to force connections to pcs at 100/Full Duplex and connection to Router at 10/Half Duplex (check if it can go at 100/Full Duplex ofc).
Sometimes auto negotiation can cause some strange problems with crappy hardware.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Gahn said:
Uhm u sure got a switch or such between your pcs and the router ain't ya?
Could try to force connections to pcs at 100/Full Duplex and connection to Router at 10/Half Duplex (check if it can go at 100/Full Duplex ofc).
Sometimes auto negotiation can cause some strange problems with crappy hardware.

Erm yeah there is a switch between router and PCs, my other half does most of the set up though I just swear at it alot. I'll point him at this later and make him try it out :)

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
had that alot some months ago... changed the router, even though the 1st one was identical and worked like a charm (got it tested for errors)

blame Bill Gates Tbh...

Slick50

Fledgling Freddie
Yes it is generally a bad idea to use "@home" routers @home, they are pretty much for basic use and most routers even HQ brand ones dont quite cut it.

tbh i would setup one of the computers as a router if i were you.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

make shure you got some nice network cards on that computer, pref intel.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
The 3rd new router seems to have done the trick - apparently there was incompatibility with the router since NTL upgraded us to th 10 meg option.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom