Strafing

Keepholder

Fledgling Freddie
I never understood how to strafe and hit styles. It's not a problem for a bd who just uses instant spell, but for melee I always get a message something like "you were moving and misses the hit". So how do meleers move around their target and still get styles off??

I know it's easy to counter if you move backwards, but still it's a nice tool to use in combat sometimes.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
the problem with people who rely on strafing is its easily countered and once someone can counter any strafe attempt that person who relies oh so heavily on the strafes turns to shit.. there was a rr9+ zerker on ywain that did nothing but run through and strafe he killed me once but when I found him again I just made sure he couldnt get side styles or rear styles off and he became easy rps.

Keepholder

Fledgling Freddie
But the question remains, how is it done? Do you need to time it so you move and then stand still just as you hit, or what?

Logi

Resident Freddy
But the question remains, how is it done? Do you need to time it so you move and then stand still just as you hit, or what?

people dont strafe because you'll just miss, its called strafe but it isnt really. Most people including me put on sprint and just use my mouse to walk forward slightly diverting to either left or right and stick/face w/e suits you best and land the style. needs to be short and quick corners. If someones experienced in it then you cant counter him, simply because he'll find a new way to get in. Pulling of backstyles is walking through which is even more easy if you manage to make it a short and quick.

edit: ofcourse you need to time your weaponspeed obviously, when i started to try positionals by "strafing" i would go out combat to reset my swing so that i knew i wouldnt have to deal with the timing.

Keepholder

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Logi, that clearified it for me.

Btw what is the fastest way to go out of combat? is there a keybind for that set as default?

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
iirc it is F6.. I've changed it to E for some weird reason, but it's been like that for years as my setup, so that's stays

Yrendan

Can't get enough of FH
Strafing is 70% fumble your styles xD If some1 do this to you sprint and move backwards and try to get him infront of you! He will instantly become rps xD

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH
The side style abusers are just abusing game lag.. quite annoying when some wanker gets a side stun on you from the front.. :m00:

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Strafing is easily done and even more easily countered , the way the yanks strafe is by qbinding their positional styles and mouseturning , the way i strafe is to move my toon in a certain way at a certain time , its hard to explain but it works just as well when you know how and i only do it when my stun timer/cooldown is up , yanks take it too far they spend the whole fight jumping around like jackasses which to me is boring and takes the fun out of fights , to counter it just walk backwards in a circle and/or stand on a ledge facing them ;)

Logi

Resident Freddy
Well i've come to a point where i have developed a new kind of way to side stun people, doesnt involve any strafing or walkthrough, most people think i've perfomed it from the front as if i havent moved, the movement is very minimum ^^. its quite funny really :D

and because i seem to not move, people wont expect, thus they cannot counter it. tis perfect tbh but required a few hours of practise lol

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Well i've come to a point where i have developed a new kind of way to side stun people, doesnt involve any strafing or walkthrough, most people think i've perfomed it from the front as if i havent moved, the movement is very minimum ^^. its quite funny really :D

and because i seem to not move, people wont expect, thus they cannot counter it. tis perfect tbh but required a few hours of practise lol

Aha i haz padawan :D

padawans.jpg

lpep

Can't get enough of FH
easy mode side stun style... bring a friend.. problem solved :).. always find on my valk walk backards.. real screws em,kinda hated by the yanks they get upset when they cant lag jump all over the bloody place for the easy kill :p

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Mythic should just up the gr on reactionary's(sp?) so its worthwhile to get other styles off. Most of the strafers just use an anytime + their favour positional to get their style in and then follow up.
They dont usually check if they or their enemy has blocked, parried or evaded. Then again, with everyone running max haste + celerity and the change to the combat system some time ago, you got enough time to do it after your initial style has landed. You see this a lot with assasins with evade 7000.

Anyways, strafe - press face - land style, isnt so hard to time. Also what Logi/Punishment is on about is something you might wanne look at (ie. the "arc" in which your positional will land).

Gahn

Resident Freddy
easy mode side stun style... bring a friend.. problem solved :).. always find on my valk walk backards.. real screws em,kinda hated by the yanks they get upset when they cant lag jump all over the bloody place for the easy kill :p

It depends if they spam some snare style in between ^^

Yrendan

Can't get enough of FH
It depends if they spam some snare style in between ^^

If i'm snared i round strafe or let them get a hit on me just to get out!
I have a vid of nightsend outstrafing a vnboard kid he was always at his back haha hilarious!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
If i'm snared i round strafe or let them get a hit on me just to get out!
I have a vid of nightsend outstrafing a vnboard kid he was always at his back haha hilarious!

Point is, in that case it might be better to walk upon em instead of back pedaling ^^

Logi

Resident Freddy
if someones dancing around just walk forward and stick, its a nice way to counter and if u do it wide and quick you can side them before they did (might be harder in practise though :p)... just need to react appropriately on the situation. Some strafe one style, others mix it up and thats what make it harder to counter, but walking backwards mouseturning to the right direction will cover you the most i suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom