Stop Smoking Heres How!

G

GDW

Quit smoking 4 months today. Boring topic to start a thread with I know but Im a bit chuffed after having smoked for nearly 20 years:clap:

Think Ill go get pished now

D

djpringle

Well done, keep it up etc etc :clap:

Oh btw how did you stop in the end?

C

caLLous

Yeah, tell me. :(

A mate quit by just not allowing himself to buy cigarettes whenever he went in a shop. I haven't tried this yet, but I don't think my sanity would survive me going cold turkey. :(

S

Stazbumpa

Quitting smoking ain't easy (so I'm told) so props to you for managing it. Another way is to use Nicorette patches.
Put one over each eye, and you can't find your fags. *

*Lee Evans joke.

D

Damini

Nicorette patches definately. I've been a non smoker for eightish months now, and I was a twenty MINIMUM a day girl. Its hard though, cos everytime I went in a corner shop to buy a paper or anything, the words "And twenty marlboro lights please" just spilt out on auto pilot. They'd then repeat it, shop style "twenty marlboro light, yeah?" and I'd go "No thankyou, I don't smoke." and everyone ended up thoroughly confused.

Had a lot of freinds gone the Zyban route, but be warned that it does make your mind feel uncomfortable. Some people can handle that sensation and some people really can't, so if you're using it and it disagrees with your mental well being, don't be afraid to stop taking it.

D

doh_boy

I managed to nip an addiction in the bud by mistake. As most young men are want to do I bought a pack of 4 hamlet cigars and smoked three of them in half and hour. The sticking point being that nobody told me you're not supposed to smoke them like a cigarette.... :eek:

D

Damini

Ouch. I could never get the hang of cigars. I'd smoke them at christmas and I'd probably remember not to inhale 9 times out of ten. Then every tenth puff I'd end up red faced, tears streaming, choking and retching, and then start all over again.

Incredibly sexy, I can tell you.

Though more sexy than doing poppers.

"hahahhahahahahahahahaahah IM SO RED FACED!!! *dribble* *wobble* hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahah..... my head hurts :("

G

GDW

I tried to quit loads of times the only thing was I loved smoking so it never lasted longer than a couple of weeks.

tbh I was only able to quit as I was admitted to hospital back in March for an emergency operation. Needless to say I didnt feel like a ciggy then. Once id come down off the ceiling after a week of Morphine I started to make visits to the TV room which doubled as a smoking room. It was filled with old men in dressing gowns coughing and hacking up bits of lung and i decided there and then that I had to quit permanently.

Mind you I have been naughty twice with the speshul weed, but even then only a little

At the end of the day it all comes down tothe will to want to stop. You can try all the methods you like but if you dont want to really stop you wont.

Well done Damini keep it up

Grandad

T

Testin da Cable

well done granda :D [been there heh]
have a pint for me too!

E

echo

But.. but.. but! For the love of God! Won't somebody think of all those poor unsmoked Camel Lights?!!:(

S

S-Gray

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
Never smoked. Never plan to.

*proud*

I smoked once when in school.. had 1/2 cigs and didnt like it.. and stopped.. experiment over.

D

dysfunction

Ive never smoked either...

Also experimented with puffing a cigarette once or twice - hated it!!

C

caLLous

I really, really want to quit. More for financial reasons than anything else at the moment. It's not even that I can't afford it, it's just when you think of the money you'd save from not smoking... :(

Edit: Summo is cool, guys.

S

Sawtooth

Keep trying. You only get one life. I can't think of anything worse than lung cancer. Its insideous.

K

*Kornholio*

I found that nicorette (spelling ?) lozenges worked well for me... they don't taste like shit like the chewing gum does, and after you've had one, it feels like you've had a ciggy so you don't wanna smoke... Unfortunately, I went to Amsterdam a couple of months after stopping smoking... needless to say, I started again :(

E

echo

Can I revel in my smokability with a new avatar and siggy? Please? Ta, mates :D

B

bodhi

I'm going to go and enjoy the subtle pleasures of a Marlboro light.

C

caLLous

I'm currently enjoying the silky smoothness of a Benson, but I don't want to enjoy it dammit. :(

M

Mellow-

Thing about stopping smoking is, it's different for each individual. Plus not all smokers want to stop. I don't smoke however but congratulations on stopping for 4 months, as long as it makes you happy, we're happy :)

G

gremlin

Originally posted by Damini
Though more sexy than doing poppers.

"hahahhahahahahahahahaahah IM SO RED FACED!!! *dribble* *wobble* hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahah..... my head hurts :("
You forgot the final bit: "Ow, thats a bastard of a headache".
Edit: Ah wait, no you didn't - heh.

Anyway, yes, giving up smoking. I think it's a nice idea however the gf's parents just bought me back 600 duty free's (woop). So no quitting for a while.

T

Trem

I'm still smoking, I cut down after my last attempt but thats all:(

We spilt some poppa's in me mates car once, that was the mother of all headaches.

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by bodhi
I'm going to go and enjoy the subtle pleasures of a Marlboro light.

:groan:

After all this time, Ive finally found something that we both have in common.

Fortunately, all cigarette packets have warnings over the evils of smoking.

Unfortunately, I cant understand the one on mine :

Roken brengt u en anderen rondom u ernsige schade toe

Frikken mystified me

D

dysfunction

Ive read a lot about the evils of drinking....So recently I gave up....

...reading about it!! - The Two Ronnies (I think) :D

C

caLLous

I'll tell you, honestly, something about drugs - and I know it's not a very popular idea, you don't hear it very often anymore. But, it is the truth...

... I had a great time doing drugs.

- Bill Hicks. :)

G

granny

Nice one Grandad, good luck with sticking it out. By sheer coincidence I am going to my first session of a smoking cessation group thingy on Thursday so there'll be 2 old buggers screaming for nicotine on these boards soon :p

F

Furr

You know you love puffing on a ciggy during a pint down the pub, Best thing ever!

Users who are viewing this thread