Stock Market

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Just wondering. Is there an easy way to buy stock in a company. Maybe some stock market website. Or do you always need your own stock broker person?

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Slightly offtopic (it doesn't involve buying the actual shares) but IG index is a site where you can bet on the outcome of the stock market, never done it meself buy my college tutor from back in the day had tried it a few times, not to much avail I gathered :p

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
I know with Barclays you can do it online they also have a live feed via there website but you would have to speak to from for more information.. I think also if you use Barclays you dont have to pay tax unles you make over 20% in one go but I could be wrong.. iv never used teh service but I know ppl that do. :)

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Assuming they are publicly listed (FTSE/AIM), you really need a share-dealing service or broker. Exactly which flavour you go for depends on how much you have to risk. The major banks offer a variety of stockbroking services (e.g. http://www.stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk/) which aren't necessarily the best or cheapest, but are a good basis for comparison.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Catbsy uses http://www.iii.co.uk/sharedealing/ but has done for a while, so doesn't really know if they are competitive price wise, but they have a very easy to use interface and portfolio.
However, technically they are "a stockbroker person" so Catsby is unsure if this meets your needs, in which case the answer is no: You can't just pop onto the LSE floor and buy some shares.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Some big bank that used to be a building society probably does it :/

Chilly

Balls of steel
Wij said:
Some big bank that used to be a building society probably does it :/
Whipped if you are looking to invest in companies quoted on the London SE, then you are probably best off getting an ISA with a high street bank such as Natwest or Barclays etc, they will charge you a small handling fee (50 quid or something) and provide you with office hours access to a stock broker. Transactions will take place immediately (they do with natwest) and there is (as ever) a small fee per transaction.

That is if you are investing less than £7,000. If more then you will need other arrangements - your own broker or subscribing to a site like iii or any of the others about.

/edit - sorry I forgot to mention why the ISA. With an ISA you get to invest £7,000 a year in UK companies tax free with no capital gains on anything you make.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I'm guessing an ISA where you can choose what you invest in is the unmanaged ISA? I've had a managed ISA before and I think that's where the bank decides on this for you.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
There are a lot of online share dealing services, i even used to work for a brokers who did online dealing. Depending on what you want it's probably best to shop around for the best deals. Banks probably do good deals, but some of the online dealers can give good prices (although i wouldn't ever trust a dealers advice, having seen them at work most of the ones we had were crap ;) )
ISAs are a good bet, i used to have a managed one with fidelity where i could swap it between various funds for no charge as and when i wanted to a limited amout per year, unfortunatley though i was poor and had to cash it out just over 18 months ago which sucked as the funds did really well over the last year!

Chilly

Balls of steel
Whipped said:
I'm guessing an ISA where you can choose what you invest in is the unmanaged ISA? I've had a managed ISA before and I think that's where the bank decides on this for you.
Correct, unmanaged basicly means you have 7 grand tax free to play with as you see fit. There are certain limitations to trading within an ISA. Basicly the rule is that the companies must be listed on the LSE and based in the UK. There are some exceptions (antofagasta is a brazillian copper mining firm who you can invest in through an ISA).

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Cheers for the advice guys. I think I'll look into starting my ISA back up again, as although I'd like to get have a play with the markets, I really shouldn't ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom