steam questions

mookie

One of Freddy's beloved
a couple of quick related questions about steam that I couldn't find answers to on the website (I'm still not convinced by it :))
  • does steam download *all* the content for the games? ie, all of the HL cd so I can play SP too?
  • where does steam install the games I've downloaded?
  • can i change the directory where the games are installed? I have a seperate partition for games and would like them there.

if I can only get the games to install to the steam dir, you think it would be possible to get away with a move, because I dont fancy downloading all the content again :p

thanks.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Steam downloads all the content for games.

It installs them to sub directories within the steam directory, usually refered to as the game cache.

ERm, been a while since I installed steam, but you can select an installation destination for Steam itself.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Mookie - yes it does, you dont need ANYTHING off a cd for Steam to play half-life. You can even play HL1 sp to whet your appetite for HL2 if you want :D It installs everything inside either the steam or Valve folder.
I wouldnt move it about, personally :)

mookie

One of Freddy's beloved
ahh i'll just uninstall and reinstall it to my games partition then, i'll leave it on overnight and let it grab everything it wants. cheers for the speedy replies.

/edit - me again :)

is there a way i can tell it to just fuck off and download everything my account is entitled to? as far as i can see i have to click on every game and tell it to install.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
mookie said:
is there a way i can tell it to just fuck off and download everything my account is entitled to? as far as i can see i have to click on every game and tell it to install.

Its not a big deal mate, afaik you just click on each game. For me that is cs (and cs:s of course!) and then I get dod when Im ready :) If there is another way im not aware of it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No dont delete it all mookie!!! If you simply reinstall it to another directory and copy across the game cache files it should detect them when you select the game to reinstall from the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom