Steam. . .it really does make you steam up.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
The download oddly paused for some time. . .

Tom

I am a FH squatter
People forget that when cs or whatever was updated before steam, it would sometimes take 2-3 days to find a server that would let you download the patch.

Steam sometimes goes a bit mental, usually on updates, but when things are quiet its perfect.

Lets not forget, you buy HL from a shop, it costs a tenner. A tenner. With that, you get access to lots of mods, and hour after hour of quality gaming, with 100% support from a large community. Most of the people complaining are 15 year old boys who seem to think they're 'l337' and must be respected, and that companies like Valve must bow down and follow every instruction they're given.

Besides, there are lots more games out there to play.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Most of the people complaining are 15 year old boys who seem to think they're 'l337' and must be respected, and that companies like Valve must bow down and follow every instruction they're given.
I assume that my brother is one of those 15 year old spoiled bunch.

I do know what Steam does; as I know it delays doing something a LOT, it really won't cooperate much.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Tom, I heard that you're a real fan of Natural Selection. Can you explain its gameplay to me? I've never even seen it.

(Steam full hasn't finished downloading yet).

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
This is priceless. Steam is downloading at a decent rate the latest updates to it. Zooms from 0-100% in about 10 seconds.

Then says Steam is unavailable and to try again later.

Fantastic, thank god they didn't have the balls to charge us for this peice of shit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Zag, basically Natural Selection is dark enclosed bases, with two teams. Aliens, and Marines. The Aliens start with one hive (their base). Their aim is to get 3 hives, and eliminate the marine's base. The marines aim is to keep their base (they can only have one), and eliminate the aliens.

All the maps have resource nodes, which give you money, depending on who controls each one. The more money you have, the more weapons upgrades/turrets and cool stuff, or different alien species/hives/offensive chambers.

The marines can get all kinds of cool things with upgrades, like jetpacks, heavy armour, grenade launchers, heavy machine guns, as well as upgrades to their basic armour/weapons effectiveness.

The thing that makes NS different is that the marines are commanded by one person, who sits in a command chair, with a top-down view of the map. He can select a group of marines and order them to a destination, or he can drop buildings and stuff for them to build. Its up to the marines whether they obey him or not, but usually if they don't, they lose.

The aliens don't have this, they have a hive mind, which is a bit like a wallhack that shows each alien where the others are, and whats happening to them. The aliens also can evolve into different species, you start as a skulk, which is like a dog with daggers for feet (it can walk up walls and on ceilings), the skulks main weapon is the bite (great fun chewing a marines head off). With more resources (money), you can upgrade to a lerk (a viscious flying bat), a fade (big biped with claws and shoots acid), an onos (huge great big bull that can devour marines whole), or a gorge, which is the class of alien that builds hives and other stuff.

www.natural-selection.org

There is also a gameplay mode called ns combat, which is very easy to get into, and doesn't require a commander. Its just marines vs aliens, and fecking good fun :)

/edit: btw future versions may allow the lerk to swoop down from high, grab a marine, fly off with him, and drop him to his death from a great height :D

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like a hit game, also sounds like a fusion of Starcraft and Opposing Force.

(Download is finally starting to continue).

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You've done it now ffs. You just had to mention NS to Tom didn't ya :eek:

;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Play NS combat staz, much easier to figure out - just kill the other team, no building stuff, just run, shoot/bite, die.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Wow. . .I've been busy quite lately so I'm not catched up on Steam's status right now or these new posts. Lemme see, my connection seems to disconnect every now and then, and I can't reconnect until maybe after a couple of hours. Basically, Steam didn't finish being downloaded yet. Even though, I'll wait; time does fly. I saw some Natural Selection screenshots, and boy were they entertaining. Oddly, smaller aliens eat the marines like grub. I do wonder how much fun it would deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom