stay AWAY from starforce!

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
If you wonder what starfoce is, it is a copy-protection program. I recomend before you buy a game, check if it uses starforce.

Reason for this is that it messes up your computer BAD! I had a game and played it for 3 days, it used starforce protection system. Today the game froze and the computer crashed. every time i tried to log in to desktop i got bluescreen. It also lowered my comp performance.

So in the end i had to do a system restore to get my windows functional again, go no idea what damage it got time to do but it don't seem to bad.

But this is a warning, if you plan in buying a game check if it uses starforce protection system before buying.

Gaino

Fledgling Freddie
loved reading some stuff about starforce....

the way it get installed its just as spyware, and when ppl complained about it
they answered something about it wasnt needed to know it get installed at all...

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
the reason i warn for it, can also post links if there are demand for info about it(more so to say)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Haha yeh, it is malware. Good thing not many games still ship with that shit

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Jup it is very annoying, also uncrackable... Which game was it? I bought Rise and Fall, took me almost 3 days to get it to work, even then had to uninstall all my dvd burning software and emulators

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
Starforce was meant as a very powerful anti-game cracking piece of software, since it checks the disc for specific details that are only on the disc and thus cannot be emulated, which is why using an emulator doesn't work. Because of the nature of the program however, it automatically messes up your pc if it detects emulation software on your computer. ( note that this doesn't happen on every pc, for some reason )

Starforce on it's own is fine, once it gets mixed with emulated drives and whatnot it starts to screw you over.

Gaino

Fledgling Freddie
hehe like some guy that thanks 2 starforce was forced to search the www for crack to play the orignal game caus starforce didnt like him ><

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
I read an article about removing it in a gaming mag a while back, ill have a scrounge around 2nite and see if i can find it

confused

Can't get enough of FH
razeredge said:
I read an article about removing it in a gaming mag a while back, ill have a scrounge around 2nite and see if i can find it
Simply cannot be done, starforce 1 and 2 could be, even 3.0 but after that its uncrackable

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
u can remove it, but ofc your starforce protected game wont run anymore... google 'starforce removal' the maker produces a util to get rid of it once ur done with the game in question.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
Aye this stuff is crap. you do not wanna google for starforce problems :p There are solutions tho.. Just search on the daemon tools forums.

rah

Fledgling Freddie
idd, starforce is annoying, I still recommend ppl to boycot games with it ;C
seems like its working too, more publishers turning away from it all the time!

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
confused said:
Simply cannot be done, starforce 1 and 2 could be, even 3.0 but after that its uncrackable

City.Life-RELOADED - PROTECTION: Starforce 3.7
Micro.Machines.V4-RELOADED - PROTECTION: Starforce 3.7
Hard.Truck.Apocalypse-RELOADED - PROTECTION: Starforce 4

dont lie :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
everything is crackable eventually. people should dl cracked versions out of principle when companies use things like starforce.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
everything is crackable eventually. people should dl cracked versions out of principle when companies use things like starforce.

Not that I disagree, but that could land you a criminal charge in several European states (and the US ofcourse). :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Equador said:
Starforce on it's own is fine, once it gets mixed with emulated drives and whatnot it starts to screw you over.

Nope, Starforce has damaged many systems running no emulation at all. The Starforce driver is effectively a rootkit giving it unrestricted access to your system, the driver is also very buggy so if it crashes it tends to take the whole system with it because it ties itself in so closely to the operating system.

Now if the driver was much more stable I wouldn't have such a big problem with it but the facts are that it is a buggy peice of crap and causes loads of system instabilty for alot of people, for that reason alone it should be avoided.

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
ceixava said:
City.Life-RELOADED - PROTECTION: Starforce 3.7
Micro.Machines.V4-RELOADED - PROTECTION: Starforce 3.7
Hard.Truck.Apocalypse-RELOADED - PROTECTION: Starforce 4

dont lie :)

as far as I understand it, they have different options in each version, allowing a publisher to chose the aggressiveness of the protection.
So that might be the reason why there are a number of cracked games out, apart from that, its right that pretty much everything is crackable, and will be cracked sooner or later

Publishers step back from starforce coz they realize, especially with the sony rootkit experience still lingering, that they are actually harming their customers more than the ppl downloading cracked and ready to play versions giving even those few still honest buyers a valid excuse for not paying anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom