Statistics problem

rure

Fledgling Freddie
A dean must distribute salary raised to her faculty for next year. She has decided that the mean raise is £2500 and the standard deviation is £425 and the distribution is to be normal.

The most productive 10% of the faculty will havea raise equal to or greater than £____

The worst 5% will recieve no more than £_____ each

Help me please :eek:

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The standard deviation is how much she pockets before distributing the rest, right? :p

rure

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
The standard deviation is how much she pockets before distributing the rest, right? :p

no thats the mean raise xD

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
rure said:
A dean must distribute salary raised to her faculty for next year. She has decided that the mean raise is £2500 and the standard deviation is £425 and the distribution is to be normal.

The most productive 10% of the faculty will havea raise equal to or greater than £____

The worst 5% will recieve no more than £_____ each

Help me please :eek:

most productive = 3199

worst = 1667

based around the confidence intervals of a normal distribution. Although it's been far too long since i did the stats part of my degree to work it out properly and i did cheat and look up the confidence intervals.

rure

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
most productive = 3199

worst = 1667

based around the confidence intervals of a normal distribution. Although it's been far too long since i did the stats part of my degree to work it out properly and i did cheat and look up the confidence intervals.

Thanks but I managed to solve it. I did like you did in the beginning. After looking up confidence intervals and checking the z-value for the 10% best I multiplied that value with the standard deviation and added the mean raise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom