Starting on Midgard/Prydwen, need advice on classes

burg

Fledgling Freddie
Hello fellow Midgard players.

I'm kinda new to DaoC and got myself an account to play with my friends (Theodon, Tuxed/Tuxedo, Janice, Halner and one more which name I can't remember, sorry mate!).

I'm currently rolling a berserker but I'm not sure if it is the right class to roll for me. I'd like a meele class which does a lot of damage in RvR but I'm not sure if berserker is the right one. What about Warrior/Savage? What are the main differences? Will I be getting RvR groups with my berserker? Are they wanted? Any tips for the classes? How to play them? Tips and tricks?

Thank you for all help I can get and hope to see you ingame!

Zewk, lvl 24 Troll Berserker. :worthy:

Lothoras

One of Freddy's beloved
Zerker can do it all :p RvR(they do uber melee dmg, they do even uberer melee dmg with zerkmode, they get groups and so on) PvE they are good too, but a warrior is better cus they have a lot more defence.
Its harder to get grp as warrior tho.

So zerker is an excellent decision tbh :)

savage is also good, but imo zerk > savage :D cus savages need to be lucky to hit hard, a zerker can just click a button every 7th minute :p

Namefake

Fledgling Freddie
ye seems like a zerker is the choice for you but be sure that your friends help you with the stat 30 points you use when creating the character they are important.

Its hard nowadays to get a spot in any groups, mostly guild groups running around getting pwnd by setup groups that has nothing else to do than RVR. Though berserkers works good solo rvr too, they can get a realm ability called charge which is very useful and banelord abilities (can read more about this on http://www.visionofsages.net/toa/Master_Abilities.html )from master levels.

Or you could try rolling a 2handed Shadowblade, a melee stealther class that in the next patch will do a great amount of damage with stealth styles.

Oh and dont forget to buy another copy of DAoC which you level a Shaman on too, you wont be able to play without it, this game is constructed that way.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Zerker gets group in rvr? pff i could wait years to get a group in rvr with my zerk and still not get a half decent (or none at all) one despite having all the required fh spec for group rvr along with the right RA's and rr5Lx.

Too many fair weather zerks and the hardcore ones got zerged by the fotm rollers so no one really know who is the full time zerker or not.

Don't believe them matey, just roll what you want as this isn't exactly the best place for advice at the best of times.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
A zerker is a good choise to get started out. If you roll it as a troll, do +10 str/con/qui at creation. ;)

About getting groups... yeah, it can be hard to find pickup groups I guess. The best choise is to work at getting into a set group, or perhaps start one up with some friends or guildies. I guess that is a little out in the future for you though. First you need to get leveling, find a guild and prepare your character for RvR! :)

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm...abit negative arent we ?:)

Imgormiel said:
Zerker gets group in rvr? pff i could wait years to get a group in rvr with my zerk and still not get a half decent (or none at all) one despite having all the required fh spec for group rvr along with the right RA's and rr5Lx.

Too many fair weather zerks and the hardcore ones got zerged by the fotm rollers so no one really know who is the full time zerker or not.

Don't believe them matey, just roll what you want as this isn't exactly the best place for advice at the best of times.

Ofc he should roll what ever he wants too...but getting some advice is never wrong!:)

If your main concern on a tank is damageoutput then you choose between Berserk and Savage. The Berserk is atm the easiest choice to reach those goals with.

If you can go for less damage but like abit more defence then you choose between a Warrior and a Thane. And atm Warrior is the only choise between those since Thane just plainly suck compared to warriors when you go for some more serious playing. (rvr groups etc) (I still love my thane though...but its a char for fun not serious playing. Dont really see the new patch chaging that much either (they are getting some extra bonuses there in spellcasting)

If you want a char that is easy to play solo:
Then you choose either: Darkness specced Spritmaster, or warlock. (Well maybe runemaster but they are alot lower on defence so can be abit hard)

Between warlock and dark sm Id choose Dark sm since its also fairly easy to get groups with.

So my advice in the end would be choose either a Berserk or a Dark Spiritmaster for your first char. They are both fairly easy to play and are fun. If you think you will have to solo from time to time in the beginning then you go Darksm.

Thats my 2 cents worth!:)

Welcome and good luck to ya mate!:)

/Charmangle

ps: You have one choice more I left out...Seers...You can ofc also roll a healer or shaman. A shaman are decently fun solo and gets rvr groups really really easy atm. ds

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd mostly agree with charmangle. I have yet to see any of my toons invited to a rvr group, and like all know I got many of them classes toa'ed and ready to be used also in RvR.

Tbh thus far I've most liked of playing as a stealther class. Not that I'd suggest for you this class, as it does require quite lot of patience.

JUst don't get disappointed when you finally get your char templated and you are not going to be invited to a rvr group instantly.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
o rly?

charmangle said:
Ofc he should roll what ever he wants too...but getting some advice is never wrong!:)

If your main concern on a tank is damageoutput then you choose between Berserk and Savage. The Berserk is atm the easiest choice to reach those goals with.

If you can go for less damage but like abit more defence then you choose between a Warrior and a Thane. And atm Warrior is the only choise between those since Thane just plainly suck compared to warriors when you go for some more serious playing. (rvr groups etc) (I still love my thane though...but its a char for fun not serious playing. Dont really see the new patch chaging that much either (they are getting some extra bonuses there in spellcasting)

If you want a char that is easy to play solo:
Then you choose either: Darkness specced Spritmaster, or warlock. (Well maybe runemaster but they are alot lower on defence so can be abit hard)

Between warlock and dark sm Id choose Dark sm since its also fairly easy to get groups with.

So my advice in the end would be choose either a Berserk or a Dark Spiritmaster for your first char. They are both fairly easy to play and are fun. If you think you will have to solo from time to time in the beginning then you go Darksm.

Thats my 2 cents worth!:)

Welcome and good luck to ya mate!:)

/Charmangle

ps: You have one choice more I left out...Seers...You can ofc also roll a healer or shaman. A shaman are decently fun solo and gets rvr groups really really easy atm. ds

You have some valid points but this insta invite thing was never the case but for those that actually do bother to take notice of the advice that goes on here, it is rather disappointing. Not that it is anyone's fault. The love affair with agramon died a couple of months ago - and to prove my point you can pretty much take a nice stroll through it in prime time and see almost nothing there 98% of the time.

Very few gank groups now wanting 8vs8. From my own observations hib has about 2 at the best of times, alb, can't say too much about that as I don't play alb on this cluster but I am guessing that it isn't many, but even in mid there is less grouping going on as people seem to prefer irvr and solo or small groups. Guild groups seem to have died as guilds seem to be in some cases getting smaller - perhaps that is due to 1.82 and the integration process of guilds from both servers on the cluster permitted (finally /sigh).

And on the point of advice, the problem with advice on this forum is often the victim of mythic and the proceeding patches as they seem to be coming thick and fast these days. So what was one mans meat one day will be anothers poison on that same day or the future.

The best advice I can offer is simply this, go read the patch notes, yep they are quite indigestable to many, but they are best guide to what stands current and what is coming. If tank, don't sit at svasud and wait for someone to offer you a group - that's just not gonna happen under any circumstances these days, most peeps don't talk to each other in game if they can help it. Go assassinate for rps and /b (broadcast) each time you return so at least you are doing something whilst showing an interest that you want group add that to the fact that instead of sitting waiting you can at least gain something whilst looking for your objective. If you see small groups then pm them and ask if they are wanting your class in their group or looking for classes or perhaps some wanting you as part of a larger group for something they have in mind.

The thing about this game that you have to remember most is that for rvr it is becoming more and more dynamic and the changes in it are more rapid than ever, so again, what one man's meat was for today will always be anothers poison for tomorrow.

Don't literally take what I have said here btw, just bear it in mind.

Namefake

Fledgling Freddie
Imgormiel said:

what you mean with dont believe them.. i didnt say it was easy to get a rvr spot as a berserker. Its hard overall. And what he wanted to play was a dmg dealing melee class and cant come up with anything else than a berserker or a shadowblade in 1.82, or a savage, but zerk>savage. I see alot of solo berserkers out from time to time and they seem to do pretty good according to their /stats. But a caster is more easy mode in this game, if you play them right.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
never had problems getting grps myself to be quite honest, but then i tend to create grps rather than stand there lfg for an hr before logging.
But then i have been playing this game for 3 yrs so know a fair few people which always makes things easier

Nelex

One of Freddy's beloved
the main problem for tanks to get grps is that they kinda need det4 or 5 for ppl to want them and is zerker charge2.

But zerkers are fun to play. but is allso a becon when they turn into zerkmode. and plz givf light tanks some loving soon :mad:

But you can easy toa a zerker with a okay temp. so thats kinda good

But for other tanks. Warrior is geting some nice love in the next patch making them even more useable for grps. For savage they are nice to have in a grp when you are a zerker as they got a stun style ( damn strafing hib/alb gimps) :twak: and iirc savage are going to get charge (not 100% sure) but if they do would it help alot.

Nel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom