Starting DAoC

T

Thedigitalevil

i have been looking into buying DAoC, but i want to know if people on 56k lag more then people on dial up.. i have a brand new computer with a 2.5 GHz processor, and my computer is pretty top of the line.

i want to know if DAoC is at all like Ultima Online where people on high speed have an advantage. i really want to play this game, but i dont want to pay to play it only to be left behind because im on 56k internet.

please reply ASAP,
-Venom

Y

-yoda-

from what i can gather some people do lag with dial up 56k some dont , some of the more clued up guys may put me right but afaik its mainly your comp spec/gfx card that is the biggest issue wih your ingame performance. also which class u play..

sometimes in the big raids (sidi or relic raids) it can be zergy regardlkes or your comp spec/connection :) kinda tough on the old comp when u have 200-400 people all in a small area..

C

-chancer-

dotn know about connection but u carnt use venom :p

O

old.Sandariel

Well, I actually play using DSL, but quite a few people are playing daoc via 56k without any lag. Well, unless there are like 200 ppl fighting each other in a large scale Relic Raid or something ;)

Did some research, and even tho I didn't find a lot, I stumbled upon this posting:
I just decided to quit Uo for DAoC and I must say that I'm really surprised by crushing opinions on my newest addiction... Understanding that no game out there has yet attained the complexity of the world Uo has, I would like to point out few things that make me enjoy DAoC:
- no lag, I'm currently on a rather 56k connection and ping roughly 160 to GL on average day. This means that with a really good system I have right now, I still lag... Now playing DAoC which is, everyone has to agree,way more graphically advanced than Uo, I have basically no lag. Even when a group of eight people is unleashing all they have on a mob, the screen won't even twitch. Leaves me wondering, why is that? Would it be that OSI i, between of screwing up the game and sucking money out of players, does not have time to update their servers and/or change the bandwidth provider? Annoying.
Taken from: http://boards.powergamers.net/viewthread.php?tid=3246&page=2

Hope it helps :)

(not sure what it's like when there are like 30 ppl rvring in emain tho, guess you gotta wait for the replies from those ppl actually playing via 56k) ;)

N

-Nxs-

Ive played using a modem from now and then - general leveling and RvR are no problems.

R

Roo Stercogburn

You'll be fine for most PvE except large scale hunts involved 4-5 full groups +, where you will definately lag some.

For RvR, its pretty much the same. I've played on everything from 18k connection through to 512k cablemodem.

The quality of your phone line will also be a factor though if you are using dial up. Some places I've connected from its fine at 56k, some are appalling.

Just make absolutely sure you aren't running things like MSN Messenger or anything else that eats bandwidth up at the same time and you'll be ok.

Hope this helps, welcome to DAoC :)

S

syri

i spent quite a long time on dialup before i could even get broadband where i live. 56k was fine, with no lag at all to speak of, except the odd bit on large raids, even then though, it was rarely anything more than just a slight delay on commands.
at one point, i had a 64k isdn connection, so not THAT much faster than 56k, and i was able to play 2 accounts at once on that, as long as there wasn't too much going on

hope this helps

N

Nightchill

I used to play on 56k (now adsl) and it was always fine. Cept for the 2hr cutoff on btinternet (do they still do that?).

M

Mid - Kirinia

As long as you have a decent Modem and a reasonably low ping time you will be fine on dial-up.

As mentioned above, it's the 2 hour cut-off that will really piss you off.

DAOC isn't a connection based game in the way Ultima Online is. For example, you run the same speed in DAOC no matter what connection you have, where as in UO the faster the connection the faster you can move.

T

Thedigitalevil

"2hr cutoff on btinternet"

what is that? im sooooooooo looking forward to playing..

T

Thedigitalevil

is it only for dial up or for everybody?

O

old.Kerosene

I play with 400 ping permanently due to distance

I occasionally have trouble getting heals off in time but I've never actually had anyone die due to my late heals. I can 95% of the time hit reactionary styles (where if I block I have to press a certain key with 2 seconds). Very occasionally I have a mob pop on top of me because of lag.

RvR I've had a to pick a class that isn't quite so reactionary (no stealthers) but I'm still quite effective in RvR and still have a good time.

So whether you lag or not you can still have some good fun from DAoC, the main issue with 56k is the connection dropping which can happen with all 56k users. With the 2 hour disconnect bollocks this is more of an inconvenience because you find yourself pre-occupied with finding the next safe place/pull to reconnect.

However, in comparison to other MMORPG's I've played, Mythic really seem to have done a good job with net traffic and I've yet to find an MMORPG that plays as smoothly on such a dodgy connection.

M

mib666

Originally posted by Thedigitalevil
i have been looking into buying DAoC, but i want to know if people on 56k lag more then people on dial up.. i have a brand new computer with a 2.5 GHz processor, and my computer is pretty top of the line.

i want to know if DAoC is at all like Ultima Online where people on high speed have an advantage. i really want to play this game, but i dont want to pay to play it only to be left behind because im on 56k internet.

please reply ASAP,
-Venom

I run 2 accounts at the same time on 56K atm. Only time i get terrible lag is a big zerg in emain. Running 1 account on 56K will not hinder you at all.

M

Moody

In large scale events I lagged just as much with 56k modem as with the cable-connection I normally use. It's more of an engine thing than a connection issue. As long as your phoneline is stable it shouldn't be a problem.

What is worse is downloading 70MB of patches before you can play :)

D

Dallas

TBH I found 56k modem to be more stable than my current ADSL connection....ATM it takes about 3 minutes for me to zone or release....it was way faster on my trusty old 56k modem. BT still do the 2 hour cutoff AFAIK ...the worst thing about using them though is they restrict you to about 115 hours online time a month!

O

old.Trine Aquavit

I used to play on a 56K dial-up and it was fine. DAOC's net code seems pretty good. I'm now on ADSL but it was the 2 hour cut-off that pushed me to ADSL (UK ISP's offer freephone dial-up, but they throw you off after 2 hours).

Other than the cut-off the most direct benefit for DAOC I get from being on DSL is the ease of keeping security up to date (Windows Update/Virus Checker/Firewall).

P

pacific

hoo my god, if you have a social life, Dont begin to play Daoc ;) it s a Drug!

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by pacific
hoo my god, if you have a social life, Dont begin to play Daoc ;) it s a Drug!

and one of the best drugs out there - and yet cheaper than the rest :) (not that i'd know..)

T

Thedigitalevil

"2hr cutoff on btinternet"

what is that? im sooooooooo looking forward to playing..

what is it?
why is nobody replying?

M

Moody

The 2 hour cutoff is done by certain ISP's, they automatically shut down your connection and force you to reconnect. The solution is an egg timer. And plan ahead, so reconnect before you REALLY have to :) But all depends on your ISP I guess so might not be of your concern.

B

bigchief

Starting DAoC

Dont

Originally posted by Nightchill
Cept for the 2hr cutoff on btinternet (do they still do that?).

yes they fking do :(

hence me going 'brb recon' all the time nc :p

M

Mage

To end a silly long thread.. DAOC is one of the best MMORPG for modem players. Several in our guild are still modem bound an the enjoy the game, nuff said ;)

T

Thorarin

Seems to work pretty well yes, knowing some guildies on 56k or similar.
Downloading patches takes a bit longer, especially the first time after installing, but that's about it.

T

Thedigitalevil

thanks all, hope i can play soon ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread