Start play DAOC now ??

Gluecifer

Fledgling Freddie
Hiya !

I have played alot of mmorpgs, like EQ in 4 years, Horizions atm...
Is it to late to begin to play daoc ??? think that iam going to get bored, it's an old game and all people are high lvl now... think iam going to be very lonly as a newbie ??

And what server and realm should i choose, iam a Swedish, so i wanna join a swedish guild :D

// Glue

izikiel

Fledgling Freddie
its never too late :)

theres swedish/scandinavian guilds on both the enligsh rvr servers (excalibur&pydwen) in each of the three realms.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Its true that daoc is somewhat "mature" game by now, with most people having at least one max level (50) character. But then again it doesnt take very long to reach that level if you play more than just very casually. You just have to get up to level 20+ first to find people to group with etc (since those that have a 50 can utilize the /level 20 command and start any new char at 20), but those levels can be soloed quickly by almost any class.

Just make sure you find a nice guild that are willing to help you start out :)

Will probably be a bit deserted in the ordinary gameworld from next wednesday (25th) since we get a new expansion then and everyone will be there, but i guess that will calm down somewhat over the following weeks.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
The levelling zones are quiet these days not as busy as it once was. It won't be impossible for you to level up just harder, also people are less accepting than in the old days. To get into a group people want to know what class/spec you are and then usually that you have crafted gear. Whereas before people found this stuff out once you entered the group and you still had a good time finding some pals.

Just to add on the post above you can do kill tasks from 5-20 as far as I remember, you walk up to a particular guard (for your level) and they tell you to go kill said beasty you then get quite good xp on return.

I would play Prydwen server any realm, people are generally more friendly there.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
DAoC is still a really good game, and more stuff coming for it. Yes, as people will point out there are some issues with the RvR related stuff but generally you should find the game fun.

Its never too late, but you will find less groups from 1-20 as anyone with a lvl50 can start new chars at 20.

On the plus side, that gives you some peace from know-it-alls that just tell you how you should be playing your character while you're still getting to grips with it :D

feac

Fledgling Freddie
Esoteric said:
Just to add on the post above you can do kill tasks from 5-20 as far as I remember, you walk up to a particular guard (for your level) and they tell you to go kill said beasty you then get quite good xp
you can get kill tasks from level 2 upwards quickest way with these is get task go kill it and kill 2 or 3 things while you are there and then return for reward lvl very fast from 1 to 20 this way

Saevus

Fledgling Freddie
Esoteric said:
and then usually that you have crafted gear

Hmm been around a while and lvled lots of chars, but i've never been asked if i had crafted gear...

Esoteric said:
would play Prydwen server any realm, people are generally more friendly there.

True but population there isn't that good, so finding grps wil be harder maybe?

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
stay clear unless u want to go powergamer imo.
first of all u should know that u need the following things to succeed in daoc.
1. 2 accounts (preferably 3)
2. no work, no girlfriend or family that takes up any time
3. incredible patience

main account should hold a character that get groups in RvR, for midgard that would be Savage, Healer, Shaman, skald and (maybe?) warrior.
i am putting things on the edge here, but my conclusion is that DAoC is almost ruined by mythic, then the players did the rest and completely dragged it thru the mud.
all the servers are filled with non tolerant ppl wich will flame u for every little mistake, and possibly "tell his other cool nerd friends" so that if u ever do the mistake of breaking a mezz then u would have a hard time find a guild.

ok i admit i excaggarate a bit here, but "ye be warned", daoc was nice, now it isnt worth trying imo.
i log my chars in every now and then, but as my buffbot is cancelled i dont really have anything to do there.
take a chance on real life, get a girlfriend or hang out with your friends ^^

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Cant do you any harm trying.

Dont listen to all the you need more than one account to play comments. Not all people find the need to do this.

Buy the game pick a Server/Realm and have some fun.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Mid/Pryd is full of Scandanavian folks and is lovely friendly place even now despite what people on these boards say :)

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
Saevus said:
True but population there isn't that good, so finding grps wil be harder maybe?

People are far more tolerant on Pryd than on excal, I know this first hand from Midgard and from Hibernia, Alb Excal maybe different but Im going with a 3 out of 3 trend here from what friends tell me. I know prydy folk are more likely to be nice to someone than say something like "Sorry no group for joo, joo not in l33t guild haha everyone look at this noobzor lfg" and thats better english than most excali residents. If anything it will be easier to find groups on Prydwen directly cause peoples attitudes are so different, I know quite a few folk who have migrated from excal-pryd for this exact reason.

Hibernia Excal is the least likely to be mean to you though even they have changed over time. Prydwen any realm is likely to be hospitable to you. If I were you and you do get the game I would go Hib Excal and then either Alb or Mid prydwen which ever tickles your fancy. You may find it harder on Hib pryd as well cause they currently have instant level 30 command (I may be mistaken).

Gluecifer

Fledgling Freddie
Ohhh

Bloodaxe_Springskalle said:
stay clear unless u want to go powergamer imo.
first of all u should know that u need the following things to succeed in daoc.
1. 2 accounts (preferably 3)
2. no work, no girlfriend or family that takes up any time
3. incredible patience

main account should hold a character that get groups in RvR, for midgard that would be Savage, Healer, Shaman, skald and (maybe?) warrior.
i am putting things on the edge here, but my conclusion is that DAoC is almost ruined by mythic, then the players did the rest and completely dragged it thru the mud.
all the servers are filled with non tolerant ppl wich will flame u for every little mistake, and possibly "tell his other cool nerd friends" so that if u ever do the mistake of breaking a mezz then u would have a hard time find a guild.

ok i admit i excaggarate a bit here, but "ye be warned", daoc was nice, now it isnt worth trying imo.
i log my chars in every now and then, but as my buffbot is cancelled i dont really have anything to do there.
take a chance on real life, get a girlfriend or hang out with your friends ^^

That sounds like the high END EQ to me.....well if daoc is that kinda END game already i dont know if iam intressted to start play..
Well i need to read som more before i decide :D

// Glue

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Gluecifer said:
That sounds like the high END EQ to me.....well if daoc is that kinda END game already i dont know if iam intressted to start play..

// Glue

DAOC is what you make it. The only guy in the thread to post something negative prob has some issues heehee

Its a fun game and you don't need 2 accounts i know loads of ppl without them. There are hardcore RvR guilds that do all the powergaming shit but tbh they are out numbered by the guilds that are there just to have fun go out take a keep do some PvE hunts get some good items make a nice house etc.

I really hate it when ppl who are pissed because of some aspect whine the loudest and make the game seem l33t3st. It really isn't. Only if you are in the 5% of the server who want to powergame.

Lots of nice people on pryd .. thats why i been here for 2 years.

Tried lots of other mmorpgs and none have come close to daoc tbh.

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Gluecifer said:

// Glue
don't listen to Bloodaxe_Springskalle ... he's just having the RvR nerd whine ... you don't need a 2nd account, you can have a life next to DAoC and patience is only needed if you are a RvR nerd (who thinks RvR is the endgame) and really have no life ...
if you just wanna have a good time bashing monsters, meeting people in-game, defend your realm against other players if need be (as said before, RvR is not the ultimate goal for everyone) then DAoC is _THE_ game for you ...
I'm not sure if you'd like DAoC if you like Horizons tho (I tried Horizons for 3 days, really didn't like it, let the account expire (any takers?) and went back to DAoC) ...
and no-one expects you to have crafted gear below lvl45'ish anyway (I used epic armor and normal drops until lvl50 and had no problems at all (might also be because prydwen is a lovely and friendly server) ) ...
imo give it a go (as I did for Horizons) and find out for yourself (preferable prydwen server, possibly alb or hib as all you get from mids are whines anyway) ...

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
First, find out what server you wanna choose (exa is over crowded, and pryd is perfect tbh). Then find out what realm you wanna join.
-Mid is the evul and big trolls (Toast smish). They have savages and berzerkers (dont sounds friendly eh?). The mid landscape is also gray and tehs00k.
-Alb are the waytomany humans who all think they are sexeh. They have armsmen, you will recognice em from warcraft 3 as footmen, cheap and many. The alb landscape is a swamp.
-His is the nature loving treehuggers. Hib has druids, bards and elves and stuff. The landscape is a beautiful landscape with big green hills. Aka a big fucking golfcourse. :p

The obvious choice here is to be a true treehugger! (Im not trying to affect your mind to make hib seem better then the other realms.. it just is.)

Anyway, DAoC rocks now, and will get alot better with the two next expantions.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, btw why dont you try the 7 day trial? Or is that US only? (US people aer teh whiners)

Shan

Fledgling Freddie
You won't need a bot @ second account (Well if you roll a stealther, then maybe... ). It's very rare that you won't get bot buffs even in randoms, someone always has a bot.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Theres a couple of other threads like this, and to be totally honest a lot of whats said here is true. The game is currently heading like EQ, to the more elitist 24/7 hardcore player, but it depends what you want from the game.

Some would say RvR is the end game, others say PvE, but no one can tell you what to head for, only you can deceide by playing.

While the DAoC RVR system is fairly unique, its being outbalanced by the people who have played since day one, farmed all the cash and items they wanted to cap their character, making them virtually impossible to kill for someone new.

Pve on the other hand can be fun, learning your character, looking forward to its next new spell or weapon style and seeing new parts of the realms as you progress.

Then theres the choice of the 3 realms, and the server you finally decide on. As most have said here, Prydwen is the most freindly, having myself moved from Excalibur where its become very much "im more 733t tan j00!" to a close community of people who are more out to enjoy the game and have fun.

The choice of realm, well supposedly, Albion is the realm of the Melee fighter, Hibernia the land of magic and Midgard the realm of mud. All three have their advantages.

Albion tends to be the realm with the biggest population, followed by Midgard and Hibernia last. So its stands to reason that grouping in albion would be better, and indeed on Prydwen that seems to be the case.

My advice, buy the game (less than £20), play free for a month and decide for yourself. Its the only way youll ever know.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Listen to Whoodoo he has seen the light :worthy:

Yeah, ignore people that say you need XXX to even be able to compete - thats just bullshit. You need a little dedication, application and good friends / a good guild to help you along the way :)

I'd recommend starting on Prydwen as it is by far the friendlier server - which realm you choose is entirely up to you. generally Hibs have more/better casters, Mids have more/better tanks and Albs have a greater variety of all classes.

The class you choose is obviously dependent on the realm - as an Alb I'd start a paladin, minstrel or friar as good hybrid classes that can solo well and get groups easily. As a Mid I'd start a skald, bonedancer or a shammy for the same reasons, and as a Hib I'd start a bard or warden (although I dont' know the Hib classes as well).

If you want you can start a necro on Alb as they are definitely the fastest levellers in the game, however they're also the most boring class ever invented, and don't get groups easily. You may want to consider what classes are popular in RvR such as savages/mercs/other pure/light tanks - these are fun to play (my first char was a merc) but not the easiest to level. Healing classes are also vital in RvR but they usually rely on groups to level up, and while you probably won't have trouble getting a group you will find levels 1-20 tough as they are very difficult and slow to solo.

To do levels 5-20 as fast as possible I'd start a speed classe (minstrel, bard or skald) as you can whizz through the kill tasks no problem - these classes are also always needed in RvR groups :)

Anyway, I've rambled far too long here but I'd really give daoc a try if you like MMORPGs as I think its the best one out there. If you have any questions when you've started do /advice to find a list of advisors in your realm and pelt them with questions - its what they're there for ;)

Most of all, have fun!

Twonker

Fledgling Freddie
One thing that was missed. If you choose Hibernia on Prydwen, the lvl 50 chars have a /level 30 option so finding groups might be even harder ‘til you hit 30 :confused:

Course I’m a smelly alb so I’m just guessing :p

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Esoteric said:
People are far more tolerant on Pryd than on excal, I know this first hand from Midgard and from Hibernia, Alb Excal maybe different but Im going with a 3 out of 3 trend here from what friends tell me. I know prydy folk are more likely to be nice to someone than say something like "Sorry no group for joo, joo not in l33t guild haha everyone look at this noobzor lfg" and thats better english than most excali residents. If anything it will be easier to find groups on Prydwen directly cause peoples attitudes are so different, I know quite a few folk who have migrated from excal-pryd for this exact reason.

Hibernia Excal is the least likely to be mean to you though even they have changed over time. Prydwen any realm is likely to be hospitable to you. If I were you and you do get the game I would go Hib Excal and then either Alb or Mid prydwen which ever tickles your fancy. You may find it harder on Hib pryd as well cause they currently have instant level 30 command (I may be mistaken).

at least in alb/excal there's a lot of casual gamers - not at all what I hear about alb/prydwen.

You get some muppets but they're everywhere.

The differences between the servers for PvE probably stopped being noticeable about a year ago - heck alb/excal has active role playing guilds :p

the RvR climate is different but a lot of that is down to population, and the fact that mid/pryd seems to have more casual RvRers much like alb/excal whilst I get the impression that alb/pryd and mid/excal are all very much focused on perfect groups. There is quite a lot of elitism in RvR - just alb/excal has a large population that it doesn't matter so much ;)

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
You are from Sweden, you have to play in the realm of the Vikings!(Midgard). ;)

Dunno how Mid/Prydwen is.. but Midgard/Excalibur is a nice place, with many nice guilds. My guild FoM (Fellowship of Midgard) are scandinavian. But our level req is lvl35+, because we don't have that much to offer someone that is lower then lvl35.

But Hib/Prydwen is also a very nice realm, I got a 50 enchanter over there and I like it.

Buy the game, test it out for a month and then decide. Everyone got their own experience of DAoC, and it's hard to tell if you going to like it or not.

What ever you do do not choose a Stealther class as your main character.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Urme the Legend said:
What ever you do do not choose a Stealther class as your main character.

Very good advice there.
There are basically 4 types of classes in daoc:
Tank,
Stealther,
Support,
Caster,
with some hybridization between them.
If you start out for the first time you would do well to choose a tank or a support class as this will get you into groups (some caster types are also welcome, like the midgard suppression skilled spiritmaster). Choosing an assasin or archer class will ensure you get to spend 95% of your time alone and misserable, since they dont do anything for a group that another class cant do better when exping. Sad but true.
If you want to play one of these i would advice you to first get a high level tank or support class that can finance your other characters with equipment and gold etc.

Nichneven

Fledgling Freddie
Like Urme said, if you're interested in a Swedish guild, you'll probably find most of them playing in Midgard... bloody swedes :D

I luv you Swede people... :wub:

and I'm trying to learn Swedish too! ... erm... see?? :)

Snälla, ge mig lite kläder, jag är naken. :clap:

burg

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
The obvious choice here is to be a true treehugger! (Im not trying to affect your mind to make hib seem better then the other realms.. it just is.)

Only difference betwen Hibernia and Disneyland is that hibs have firbolgs instead of ducks.

Otto

Fledgling Freddie
Gluecifer said:
Hiya !

I have played alot of mmorpgs, like EQ in 4 years, Horizions atm...
Is it to late to begin to play daoc ??? think that iam going to get bored, it's an old game and all people are high lvl now... think iam going to be very lonly as a newbie ??

And what server and realm should i choose, iam a Swedish, so i wanna join a swedish guild :D

// Glue

The game is crap, wait for WoW instead.

Indra

Fledgling Freddie
Like most people say, I would advise you to try it. Yes, there are a lot of twits out there, but if you meet them just ignore them and move on. The key is finding the people you like to play with, find a guild with your equals, and you will enjoy the game a lot more.

As to what class to play I would say choose the one that find most interesting. Except maybe for stealthers (like Urme said), they can be tough as your first character. Play, learn the game, and when you feel like trying something else, make a new character.

And whatever people say, playing a warrior is not boring ;)

Nichneven said:
Snälla, ge mig lite kläder, jag är naken. :clap:

:eek7:

Perfect Swedish though :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Sorry to say, but this is my opinion.

Starting DAoC now is a waste of money and a waste of time. There are a lot of games coming out in the MMORPG scene that just are going to bash DAoC down like Anarchy Online got trampeled by others. Sure, DAoC is a versatile, evolving, strong community holding game, but it's falling into the tides of time. Sadly this is reality with all games. If you don't mind using money to play a game for 3-6 months, then let all your gains and accomplishments to the wind when a better massive comes along, then go for it. But if you're a player who likes to invest years and years into a game, i'd advice to wait for a while.

"The makings of a legend starts at beta, those who come in after release, can never be as big." -Seel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom