Spiderman 2

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Well I got to see this in a huuuge Canadian multiplex last weekend. IMAX too :)

I expected cheese and I got cheese but in all the right places, just enough to make it feel like a comic book with its corny morals.

There are a couple of piss funny scenes that raise Spidey head and shoulders above the other comic books for me - that Spidey is ALWAYS just Peter Parker in a suit, ie. he's a normal guy underneath it all and has to put up with the same shit everyone else does.

Spoilers here to be on the safe side but its nothing major to do with the plot, just a couple of gags:
The scene where he has to take the lift down due to his powers failing and the guy asks him about his costume ("it pulls a bit on the crotch") and the appalingly cheesy but intentionally so part where he is happy being just Peter Parker (freeze frame after Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head) had me and the crowd in stitches

Maguire was excellent, really settled into the role and believable. Molina (Dr. Octopus) made the somewhat laughable prospect of a fat man with Slinkys sticking out of his back into a threatening, weighty villain who quite frankly shat all over Defoe's Green Goblin. Mind you I always hated the GG as a villain anyway. Dunst was good and looked sweet. I don't normally rate her but she's looking pretty cute these days and is perfect as MJ.

There's a total shoe-in for Spiderman 3 at the end, so MAJOR SPOILERS here, dont read if you dont want to know! -
I was most PISSED OFF to see the villain of Spidey 3 is...the Hobgoblin. Argh. The GG's son is still mad at Spidey, even moreso now he knows his true identity. I was totally fucked off at the end where he finds the GG's lab and weapons. I mean...how can he be that different from the GG in Spidey 1? :( I hope there's another villain that he bounces off (a la the Batman series but please not so crap). A mate I was with commented that the Uni professor Peter Parker reports to turns out to be Lizardman in the comics. Maybe he changes in Spidey 3?

I enjoyed it anyway, good fight scenes that know when to END. Good acting, decent cgi and not overuse but the humour (not overbearing and in the right places) did it for me. Excellent comic feel, I'd give it 8 out of 10 (which is good for me believe me).

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Out of interest Xtro, what do you rate the first Spiderman?
Secondly, what does it take for you to give a film a 10?

(By god, i want to see Spidey 2 tho!)

Dax

Fledgling Freddie
On a slightly related note, the Spiderman 2 game is out today and it's pretty decent too

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Dax said:
On a slightly related note, the Spiderman 2 game is out today and it's pretty decent too

Word has it that the console versions are pretty decent, the PC version is a completely different version "aimed at children" (i.e. utter wank without the freeform nature of the console versions, anything resembling an interesting fight system, good swinging or the shiny graphics).

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Sir Frizz said:
Out of interest Xtro, what do you rate the first Spiderman?
Secondly, what does it take for you to give a film a 10?

(By god, i want to see Spidey 2 tho!)

Hmm I'd probably give the first Spiderman about 6 out of 10 mate. It was "ok", I liked Maguire a lot, just thought there wasn't much substance to the actual film. Mind you it had to set the whole franchise up I suppose blah blah blah. As I said above I fkin HATED the Green Goblin too.

Hmm to get a 10? Well it has to be a film that really moves me, and this doesn't necessarily mean I have to "enjoy" it. What I mean is that if a film can really force me to think about issues and confront things, if a film can reduce me to tears (sad or laughter) and make me view things from a different perspective and leave me almost breathless - then its a 10. Sure I like dumb ass comedies, there's only so many heavy duty films I can take!

The only films I've ever considered have met the above criteria (I'm talking recent films) are Breaking The Waves, Irreversible and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Recommend all 3!

Cheers

Gray

FH is my second home
I think Spiderman1 was a very good movie, not as many funny bits though as what #2 is tho...

I thought the lift bit was funny as fuck, i couldnt stop laughing at all, but the other good one was also where he went to make the big jump, but fucked it up and landed back-first onto the cars... OOH MY GOD i was in bulk when he was walkin away.

As for #3, im thinking it will be HobGoblin and maybe the Lizard, but now everyone knows who Spidey is, i think thats gonna take away the fun

Durzel

Loyal Freddie
One thing confused me, which has probably been picked up on by other people..

If Peter was Ottos only known way of finding out Spidermans whereabouts, what on Earth would've possessed him to throw a car through the diner window at him? Had he been any normal person (which Otto wouldn't have known either way) he would've been killed instantly.
Suspension of disbelief I guess, but was a bit of a plot hole in my mind.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Damn, will have to repost when I've finished lunch and read up on spolier tags.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
In the series Mr Jameson son, the astronaut will eventually become Venom, the big evil looking blue guy, but i dout it and Spiderman 3 will be hob-goblin

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I wasn't too impressed with this one, the fights/effects were pretty good but there're too many emotional scenes. I hoped that was over with in the first movie, but there's alot more of it in the sequel. Peter does have real-life problems and such in the comic books, but he's not as depressed as they make out in the film. It's more like watching a soap, with the odd bit of violence thrown in.

Doc Octupus pulls off the role better than I expected but he would've been better as the criminal genius. Spiderman 3, well:

See three possibilities here; The Osbourne kid becomes another goblin (boring)
Doc o'connor (the lecturer with one arm) becomes the Lizard (has potential)
Jameson's son flies to the moon and comes back with the alien parasite, which attaches itself to Peter, forming the black Spiderman. This'll be the best story to follow. The black Spiderman kicks some serious ass... and his rival reporter Eddie Brook, will be introduced during the film. At the end, Peter gets rid of the Parasite and Eddie picks it up to become Venom > Spiderman 4!

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Saw it this evening, yes there was more emotional content and this made for a much better film. Superhero films are fine in themselves as a genre, provided all you want is action and no brainer story lines, but Spidey 2 was simply a good film and not bound by the limits of the genre.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
To get Venom wouldn't they have to do the Secret Wars series ?

Now that would NOT work as a film :)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Wij said:
To get Venom wouldn't they have to do the Secret Wars series ?

Now that would NOT work as a film :)
Could you explain for those not fully versed in the spidey world history! :)

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Short history of Spiderman :)

Spiderman got the black costume that eventually fused with Eddie Brock to become Venom in the first major Marvel cross-over comic Secret Wars, which contained nearly every Marvel character, they where all transported to a far away planet by The Beyonder to do battle, Spidermans costume got ripped during the battles and then he found a machine that replicated fabric, instead of getting a costume Spiderman got a black ball which was infact an alien symbiote which covered his body and became his new black costume, when the Secret Wars series ended and all the charatcters went back to earth Spiderman took the costume with him and it became his new costume for a while.

So if they wanted to follow the true origin of Venom (which they wouldn't because it would take forever) they would have to do all that along with Spiderman wearing the costume on earth, having nightmares, going to Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four to study the costume and that's not even including the back story of Eddie Brock and why he hated Spiderman...in the cartoon version of Spiderman they just made Jameson's son bring the symbiote back with him after going into space.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
in the cartoon version of Spiderman they just made Jameson's son bring the symbiote back with him after going into space.
I think you've just spied the possible senario for bringing Venom to the big screen ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Whipped said:
I think you've just spied the possible senario for bringing Venom to the big screen ;)

But that story is teh gh3y. It misses all the good background story.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Stimpy said:
Short history of Spiderman :)

Spiderman got the black costume that eventually fused with Eddie Brock to become Venom in the first major Marvel cross-over comic Secret Wars, which contained nearly every Marvel character, they where all transported to a far away planet by The Beyonder to do battle, Spidermans costume got ripped during the battles and then he found a machine that replicated fabric, instead of getting a costume Spiderman got a black ball which was infact an alien symbiote which covered his body and became his new black costume, when the Secret Wars series ended and all the charatcters went back to earth Spiderman took the costume with him and it became his new costume for a while.

So if they wanted to follow the true origin of Venom (which they wouldn't because it would take forever) they would have to do all that along with Spiderman wearing the costume on earth, having nightmares, going to Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four to study the costume and that's not even including the back story of Eddie Brock and why he hated Spiderman...in the cartoon version of Spiderman they just made Jameson's son bring the symbiote back with him after going into space.

Probably wouldn't bother with this; they've got the Venom 'origin' from 'Ultimate Spider-Man' to use, which does away with most of this backstory (the black costume/Venom is part of a genetic engineering project Peter's father was working on years before, before his parents were killed in a plane crash - this scenario would be far less complicated and genetic engineering is 'sexy' plotwise).

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
But they already used the genetic enginering schtick with the spider that bit Parker, woe to do it again :(

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Deacan said:
In the series Mr Jameson son, the astronaut will eventually become Venom, the big evil looking blue guy, but i dout it and Spiderman 3 will be hob-goblin

NO

Eddie Brock is Venom not John Jameson, JJ discovers him but Eddie becomes Venom.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
PLightstar said:
NO

Eddie Brock is Venom not John Jameson, JJ discovers him but Eddie becomes Venom.

Also not true really, you've been watching the cartoon to much ;)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I must admit I've not read all the comics or watched the tv series but I've got a Spiderman encyclopedia that my sis got me a while back and in there it was that JJ goes to the moon and gets affected y some radiactive rock and turns into a wolf-man.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
WPKenny said:
I must admit I've not read all the comics or watched the tv series but I've got a Spiderman encyclopedia that my sis got me a while back and in there it was that JJ goes to the moon and gets affected y some radiactive rock and turns into a wolf-man.

Which is really lame when you think about it.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
If Venom appears in the movies, the symbiote will probably come from outer-space. I'd rather see Peter with it first though, maybe he has a shit load of enemies to deal but halfway through the film he becomes the black spiderman and deals some serious damage. And in the next movie you see Venom.

I'd hope Venom isn't just a lunatic out to kill stuff, but have him as a vigilante trying to out-do Spiderman. Peter knows he's dangerous and needs to be stopped, but everyone is against him...

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Lets also not forget about Carnage!

Just a cool as Venom, but slighty insane.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Well having got excited about seeing the new film I have to say Im a bit disappointed. It just goes on and on and on...will he wont he....get together with whats her name...well far too few spidey bits and just too dull in the middle. Nice effects but I need something a little more exciting.

Meatballs

One of Freddy's beloved
Xtro said:
I was most PISSED OFF to see the villain of Spidey 3 is...the Hobgoblin. Argh. The GG's son is still mad at Spidey, even moreso now he knows his true identity. I was totally fucked off at the end where he finds the GG's lab and weapons. I mean...how can he be that different from the GG in Spidey 1? :( I hope there's another villain that he bounces off (a la the Batman series but please not so crap). A mate I was with commented that the Uni professor Peter Parker reports to turns out to be Lizardman in the comics. Maybe he changes in Spidey 3?
Hobgoblin isn't Harry Osbourne, in the comics he takes the role of the Green Goblin after his father. The Hobgoblin is another person (well 2 others really) who steal the green goblins equipment.

I dont really like the way they ruined the relationships between Pete, MJ and Harry by them all finding out the truth and saying that they love each other etc. Tisn't the way it should be between pete and mj, ruins the magic because everyone wants them to be together, but they never really do :(

Doc Oc was an OK enemy, but there was so much potential for limb tearage and decapitation and skewering, that wasn't used because of the PG rating. He was a good character, but it was his evil looking claws did most of the work for the actor.

I reckon spidey 3 will be a couple of enemies at least, Harry will be around as the green goblin, but there will be another enemy also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom