Spells - Relative Level & Damage

S

Slaaght

Another basic question I'm afraid, coming from the tank world into the magical one!

As a tank, I am used to the 2/3 of max skill points = 75%-125% damage and max skill points = 100%-125% damage etc.

Taking an imaginary level 10 DD fire spell, and a level 10 caster, would the spec in "fire" matter with regard to damage?

i.e. would a lvl 10, specced to 7 in fire have a 75-125% damage range over the quoted damage done?

Does it differ between basiline and specline spells? Also does the level you have attained in a discipline affect your chance for the spell to get resisted, or is that your overall level?

Does that make sense or does it not apply to the art of the caster?

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Yes, there is variance of the sort you mention but only on baseline spells. Specced spells always hit at 100% (minus resists, AC, absorb, etc).

I'm not sure whether the 2/3 and 100% figures are the same, though. I know that healing spells, for instance, have variance thresholds at 1/2 spec and full spec, so it might be the same for nukes (healing & nuking tend to be 1.0 spec points/level things, so getting a secondary, minimally specced skill to 2/3 is pretty tough).

Most stuff on baseline has a variance effect - buffs, debuffs, nukes, DoTs, heals. Generally, it's only CC spells that don't have this sort of variance.

S

Slaaght

Thanks for that. I'll make sure that I keep my secondary line (body) at or just above the half way point.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by old.Trine Aquavit
Yes, there is variance of the sort you mention but only on baseline spells. Specced spells always hit at 100% (minus resists, AC, absorb, etc).

I'm not sure whether the 2/3 and 100% figures are the same, though. I know that healing spells, for instance, have variance thresholds at 1/2 spec and full spec, so it might be the same for nukes (healing & nuking tend to be 1.0 spec points/level things, so getting a secondary, minimally specced skill to 2/3 is pretty tough).

Most stuff on baseline has a variance effect - buffs, debuffs, nukes, DoTs, heals. Generally, it's only CC spells that don't have this sort of variance.

by the very nature of spec spells you have to have that level to get the spell :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom