Motoring Speeding

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
If you weren't caught by a speed camera, or by a Policeman at the time of the event through use of a handheld device or followed/stopped via a car equipped with the necessary equipment - what are the chances of being "done" speeding.

By this I mean is it possible for a member of the public to report a speeding driver (based on their own observation) and for someone to be convicted this way? What about a Policeman who saw you from afar, but didn't stop you at the time and only followed it up at a later date? (maybe he was going the other way, or was in a Police van).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think with police, it's a given. If you're racing down a road, they can pick you up later on it.

About eye witness things? Well, can't say, but if challenged it could become a he/she said and those cases are tricky at best.

If we're talking about 5mph over the limit, doubt many would notice and if challenged, again even the police would need some proof more firm then "I think he did".

rynnor

Rockhound
By this I mean is it possible for a member of the public to report a speeding driver (based on their own observation) and for someone to be convicted this way? What about a Policeman who saw you from afar, but didn't stop you at the time and only followed it up at a later date? (maybe he was going the other way, or was in a Police van).

I think so yes - happened to my Dad once - off duty copper.

You can contest it - copper probably wont turn up in court if you do but if he does youve had it as the magistrates are proven to be biased towards police testimony I'm afraid.

Edit: If a member of the public reports you I thought they generally just issue a warning?

old.user4556

I'm not sure on it.

It's actually just sprung to mind that my brother-in-law is a policeman and afaik if he is off duty there is nothing he can do at the time if he were to spot someone on their phone whilst driving, all he can do is call it in then I guess it would have to go to court.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I'm not sure on it.

It's actually just sprung to mind that my brother-in-law is a policeman and afaik if he is off duty there is nothing he can do at the time if he were to spot someone on their phone whilst driving, all he can do is call it in then I guess it would have to go to court.

Friend of mine got seen driving like a complete plonker by an off duty cop and indeed, all that happened was that he called in to his house the next day to warn him that he'd been seen. In all honesty, with what he was doing, if he could have had some points, I would have thought it would have happened. Either that or they deem it to be too much of a hassle going for the aforementioned he said, she said cases.

If you're a member of the public, I severely doubt there is anything you can do other then report them so the police will keep a look out for them... I'm presuming it wouldn't be deemed worth checking CCTV footage to back up a claim which holds thin evidence, unless they were doing something hugely wrong.

old.user4556

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. Unless there is solid evidence such as being stopped at the time via a cop with a hairdryer, or a policecar with the necessary gubbins, or a speed camera, then I suspect there isn't much they can do.

old.user4556

It's more something that came to mind that had never occured to me before - like what if you're out on B roads with noone else on the road where the limit is 60 and you open the taps to 90 on a nice long straight. If a resident on a farm saw you, could they shop you? If a policecar came the other way, could they restrospectively say "he was doing about 80, but we have no evidence other than our own opinions so you're getting 3 points anyway"?

Getting nicked by hard evidence or a speed camera is one thing, but I didn't know if it came down to a third party reporting it or the police getting a "hunch" that you were speeding what the consequences were.

I do enjoy my car from time to time :).

rynnor

Rockhound
I do enjoy my car from time to time :).

Good for you - so do I when the conditions are good and the traffics light - the fixed speed limits are stupid but any other systems too complex to administer so I guess we are stuck with it.

Couple of unlimited speed Autobahn style motorways between South n North would be nice tho...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Expert opinion is required. Members of the public are not considered by the courts to be experts. Police officers are.

That's my understanding of things, anyway.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
for once i agree with tom on something :)

Cant be done for speeding ont he say so of a person on the street

Tom

I am a FH squatter
However, its quite possible based upon the word of a member of the public that a police officer might issue you with an S59 warning.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
You can be clocked by a gatso, mobile camera van or even a cop with a hairdrier and they have 2 weeks in which to issue you with a "Notice of Intended Prosecution".
The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) guidelines state that the "enforcement level" for speeding should be the speed limit + 10% + 2mph. What this means in practical use is if you're doing 34 in a 30 zone, you'll PROBABLY be left alone but individual officers can still book you if they think it's worth it. If you're doing 35, expect that NIP.

30 = 30 + 3 + 2 = 35
40 = 40 + 4 + 2 = 46
50 = 50 + 5 + 2 = 57
60 = 60 + 6 + 2 = 68
70 = 70 + 7 + 2 = 79

Car speedometers are almost universally underclocked by about 5%, so if you're driving at what you think is 80mph, you're probably doing about 76-77mph and therefore under the enforcement level.
OFC a police officer can exercise his authority and book you at 1mph over the limit, but most will usually let it go.

rynnor

Rockhound
Car speedometers are almost universally underclocked by about 5%, so if you're driving at what you think is 80mph, you're probably doing about 76-77mph and therefore under the enforcement level.

I calibrated my car using sat nav (which is a lot more accurate) and noticed something odd.

At low speeds it displays about 5 mph faster than the reality - so 45 is 40 etc. but once you get up to 60+ it shows the right speed - kinda strange.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Couple of unlimited speed Autobahn style motorways between South n North would be nice tho...

I see a ryn-plot to use darwin to do away with most of the UK's populus ;)

also, the autobahn's aren't totally lawless speedfests, and there are limits, especially when nearing urban centers or motorway exchanges. drive like an asshat, and the police *will* get you as well.

most Germans drive very well. they look far ahead, and anticipate accurately. they tend to not pull idiot-moves, like pull out in front of someone who's just about to overtake them. also, they (usually) are patient: the bigger mercs, audi's and beemers will wait nicely for you to overtake some slower car before powering past; no tailgating, light flashing, etc.

most of the above negative behaviour occurs daily to me on the Dutch motorways :/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Dutch motorways are the noisiest bastard roads around. Built from concrete and smoothed with afro combs.

Bloody car-hating Euros.

rynnor

Rockhound
I see a ryn-plot to use darwin to do away with most of the UK's populus ;)

Lol - no I'd just like a decently fast way of moving round the country - maybe restrict it to Advanced Drivers only?

most Germans drive very well. they look far ahead, and anticipate accurately. they tend to not pull idiot-moves, like pull out in front of someone who's just about to overtake them. also, they (usually) are patient: the bigger mercs, audi's and beemers will wait nicely for you to overtake some slower car before powering past; no tailgating, light flashing, etc.

Creepy - I drive like a German :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
You can contest it - copper probably wont turn up in court if you do but if he does youve had it as the magistrates are proven to be biased towards police testimony I'm afraid.

they kinda have to trust them tho. the police are representing the law after all, and the magistrates cant really run around question their word at every bend. thats what lawyers are for.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What this means in practical use is if you're doing 34 in a 30 zone, you'll PROBABLY be left alone but individual officers can still book you if they think it's worth it.

Rubbish, I have (and someone else I know) have both received tickets via Gatso cameras for doing 34 in a 30.

soze

I am a FH squatter
They might send you points but if you contest it as the burden of proof is with the prosecution i doubt they can make it stick. The police cars with cameras have to be calibrated regularly so the video can be used as evidence. So even if it was a off duty policeman with no proof im not sure it could stick in court.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Rubbish, I have (and someone else I know) have both received tickets via Gatso cameras for doing 34 in a 30.
Gatsos TEND to be set at the enforcement level. If it was set lower, that's up to the local camera partnership.

The solution is don't drive over the speed limit. :)

Jeros

Part of the furniture
With all the in car gadgets and gizmos there is no excuse for speeding these days.

And then again some people should not drive full stop, some twat in a type R blew through the city the other day in the dark at about 60-70 in a 30 zone, what the hell was he thinking?

Moar speed cameras needed tbh

soze

I am a FH squatter
Moar speed cameras needed tbh

I don't think you need more they should just never be static and never be advertised. Fixed cameras are pointless as people speed before and after. Mobile ones currently have to be advertised. Having mobile unmarked camera vans is the way forward if any van could be a speed camera it would force people to the speed limit.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
On the subject of being caught for speeding...are the police allowed to stop you for speeding if they have enticed you into it?

A friend of mine has been stopped on the M20 for speeding but this was only due to the fact that two unmarked cars were driving right up behind him on the motorway and playing the fool - goading him into a race if you like. He speed up to try and get away from them and he was then stopped for speeding!

Surely this is entrapment?? I thought this sort of thing would not be legal??

Embattle

FH is my second home
In essence people who tend to moan about getting caught are little more than gambling loosers, in essence they took a chance speeding and lost.

If someone is on your bumper you aren't meant to speed up, either way they'll just claim he could of moved across.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
On the subject of being caught for speeding...are the police allowed to stop you for speeding if they have enticed you into it?

A friend of mine has been stopped on the M20 for speeding but this was only due to the fact that two unmarked cars were driving right up behind him on the motorway and playing the fool - goading him into a race if you like. He speed up to try and get away from them and he was then stopped for speeding!

Surely this is entrapment?? I thought this sort of thing would not be legal??

Your friend is a muppet then, if someone is being an arse behind you, you move over or slow down. Never speed up. It's the most basic thing taught to people learning to drive. If that's his reaction to anyone speeding behind him then he deserves the fine as a wake up call.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I quite agree with you! I always slow down as it drives me made when people drive right up behind me so I can see the whites of their eyes. I also find it irritates the person more if I do that! I then move over to the next lane if there is one.

I still wouldnt think that entrapment would be legal but perhaps it is...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Indeed, always slow down. If they're going too quickly it's likely to enhance your chances of staying alive if they're completely retarded and make an accident causing mistake.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Anyone up my arse on the road gets my brake lights. I will be doing the speed limit, so there is no reason for them to be there.

Calo

Part of the furniture
Dutch motorways are the noisiest bastard roads around. Built from concrete and smoothed with afro combs.

Bloody car-hating Euros.

Well then haven't been to Belgium yet, dutch motorway's are ALOT better then the ones in belgium, actually dutch motorways are quite good.

And no we don't hate cars here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom