Speed cameras - interesting programme

Tom

I am a FH squatter
http://www.pepipoo.org/files/inside_out.rm

Quite revealing. I'm tempted to race past one and take it to court, just to get hold of the video evidence - but then again, they nearly always drop such cases, as they don't want the public to see such videos.

Chilly

Balls of steel
anything to help you get off paying fines for braking the law, eh Tom?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I don't have Real Player installed so can't comment on the video. However I am willing to comment on the fact that Chilly clearly sucks dick to take such a shit attitude to people fighting a clearly unfair system.

P.S It has occured to me that I'm not entirely sure if my car is actually registered in my name. The previous owner didnt send the right bit of the V5 back (I've got it upstairs) and the DVLA don't actually know I've got the car as far as I can see, they havent sent me a new V5 or anything. Does this mean I'm free to burn through speed cameras?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
you break the law = punishment? or have they changed it?

Bodhi

If life was that black and white they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of inventing colour TV.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
lol another Tom hates the law thread.

P.S. I know your a superdeeduper driver and are allowed to speed because your in control and all that.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Heres an idea - why don't you understand what you're on about, and then make an informed post?

Calaen

why bother you make enough break the law posts for the lot of us.

omg speed camera flashed me ffs Im the best driver in the world it the other morons that are the problem. wtf I got a ticket for parking on double yellow lines why the fuck cant I park where I want im Tom you fuckers.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
lol. If you're really so uninformed as to think that the current enforcement of speed limits is benefitting road safety, you need to sit down and have a good long think.

tris-

oh yeh what are we thinking, you should be allowed to go 110mph around the streets, drive on 2 wheels and go through red lights. as long as you dont kill someone and are in control.

Calaen

Tom said:
lol. If you're really so uninformed as to think that the current enforcement of speed limits is benefitting road safety, you need to sit down and have a good long think.

I dont believe it is helping road safety at all but it could. What I believe it is doing is making money from morons that break the speed limit.

At the end of the day the people that think they are great (yourself being one of them) think they are better than everyone else so they speed causing more accidents. I dont care about where the money goes tbh if your gonna speed and get caught off a camera you deserve it.

I dont even know why they bothered making them bright coloured either. Keep them hidden catch as many morons as they can and take away their licenses cash and car I dont give a shit. Maybe then once this hard line has been taking people like you will stop thinking they are in their own league when it comes to law breaking and SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. reducing accidents.

tris-

i wonder how long it will be before we see a threads titled
"killed someone when driving, you could get out of it with this legal loop hole".
"red lights, if you go through it fast why does it matter?"

etc

Nerve

Loyal Freddie
Tom said:

Are you serious or do you just want to invoke a shitload of flamethreads ?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I actually got flashed by a speedcam in Groningen, Holland yesterday. I was doing about 60 in a 50 zone (that's kph, not mph). it will be the second time in my life that I get a ticket :/

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Nerve said:
Are you serious or do you just want to invoke a shitload of flamethreads ?

They don't benefit road safety. Making people more aware of the do's and don't's at an early age(driving wise) prevents a shitload more problems than a speed camera that slows people down for 20 yards, then they just speed up after it.

I cba with this argument again. Lets just say I get what Toms saying and the majority of people in this country know that the law is corrupt and bollocks and biased, its all aimed at money making and nothing else. Because we choose to state our unhappiness at this we get lots of do gooders spouting horse shit about the law, we know its the law it does not mean its fucking right.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Whilst Im not against speed cameras in principle, I do beleive that there is a time and a place for them. Speed limits should be applied in a sensible manner. Take for example some local roads to me where they are about to reduce the speed limit in the name of safety due to some recent accidents. Far enough you may think, but lets look a little closer.

The last fatal accident was a girl on a bike with no lights at closing time. She had a well known reputation locally for getting absolutely hammered and cycling home pissed. No one could convince her this was a bad idea.

The accident before this was I beleive a car and lorry smash when a lorry cut a corner. This is the most common form of accident on this road. Lorries speed limit is already lower so tell me again how lowering the speed limit from a 60 and adding a camera will help.

Further on down this road is an absolute bugger because the central white line has dissapeared and the are no edge white lines either. Also the edges are so potholed that drivers drift towards the middle to avoid them. Top top it all as you leave an area with street lighting with no night vision and come up to some sharp corners, they have built a school right on the corner with glaring security lights pointing right at you to blind you.

So will they

a) repaint the lines, repair the potholes at the road edge, EXTEND the 40mph limit by 50 yards to include the 2 90 degree corners where several cars end up in the ditch each year (which I would support and recommend) and fil the pothole RIGHT on the junction at the top (that I have reported twice) that you hit exactly while cornering or tends to make you stall if you catch it deep just as you pull out onto a straight?

b) reduce the limit on the whole road (which wont affect lorries) and put a camera on the safest, longest straight?

Plus some other random quotes I found to stir things up a bit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4242521.stm
MARK MCARTHUR-CHRISTIE, ROAD SAFETY SPOKESMAN FOR THE ASSOCIATION OF BRITISH DRIVERS
The debate on speed has become tragically simplistic. It's become focused on speed limits rather than inappropriate speed.

There's a world of difference between belting past a school at 40mph and driving at 70mph on a straight, clear road - and drivers know it - yet both offences are treated the same.

Every driver speeds at some point, even if only by a few mph.

Drivers can see that the relationship between speed and safe driving isn't as simple as the government is trying to pretend.

This report shows that the majority of drivers break the limit - but no-one has so far suggested that if the majority of the population break a law, it might be the law at fault.

Couple this with local authorities installing limits way below the safe speed for the roads, and it's no wonder drivers have lost all faith in speed limits as a road safety tool.

Driving is a massively complex activity, but is being reduced to a simplistic driving-by-numbers mentality.

We want to see drivers looking at the hazards ahead - looking for the child about to run into the road, not staring at their speedos.

and they are happily laying road surfaces you cant stop on ESPECIALLY IN 30 zones - just where you NEED to be able to stop... in order to save money and a large percentage are in need of mainatenace for low skid resistance - the highest percentage since records began cos they havnt been spending enough money on the roads......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/file_on_4/4278419.stm

or

According to the Transport Research Lab or TRL, a government funded agency which we all are funding with our tax money, the only entity with all the data and authority to say anything about transport, says, the percentage of accidents caused by speeding remains at an average 7.14 %. That's right! Seven point fourteen percent! Be shocked, be amazed, be angry, be whatever you want to be!

It's not two thirds like the government says consistently! It's not one third! It's below 10%!!! In fact, in some areas it's below 3%! [West Midlands accident report 1998] (And you can include car thieves, criminals, and drunk drivers in those figures, meaning Gatsos represent nothing to them!)

As Ive said before, 2 family members and a friend have died in speed related incidents so I know full well the dangers of speeding. Im not against speed cameras, but please keep things in perspective. Some of the speed limits and cameras that are now being added are in my opinion just plain rediculous. If you want to increase road saftey, how about filling in some potholes, painting some more lines back in and think abut the positioning of street lighting, security lighting, etc. You cant just blame every accident on speed.

tris-

im not a do gooder, im also not spouting horse shit. just because my oppinion is different to yours it doesnt mean im spouting horse shit, then i can just say your spouting horse shit.
we all know what the law is. if you break it then just be fucking responsible and accept what you did. we know it probably doesnt help safety on the road, but speed limits do. are you saying that going 100mph is ok on a street where there is school kids? i mean what the fuck, really. kids are not predictable, neither are normal pedestrians. you cannot say that you think the limit should be more than 30mph on normal streets when people walk out without looking. yeh, maybe they shouldnt be idiots but they are and you need to accept it.

Bodhi

tris- said:
im not a do gooder, im also not spouting horse shit. just because my oppinion is different to yours it doesnt mean im spouting horse shit, then i can just say your spouting horse shit.
we all know what the law is. if you break it then just be fucking responsible and accept what you did. we know it probably doesnt help safety on the road, but speed limits do. are you saying that going 100mph is ok on a street where there is school kids? i mean what the fuck, really. kids are not predictable, neither are normal pedestrians. you cannot say that you think the limit should be more than 30mph on normal streets when people walk out without looking. yeh, maybe they shouldnt be idiots but they are and you need to accept it.

Speaking about how people shouldn't be idiots,this is the most retarded thing I have ever read on these forums, including each and every one of Cyfr's posts I've read in my time. Put your copy of the fucking Daily Mail down and think for yourself for a change - you'll probably stop dribbling on your keyboard aswell. No one is even remotely condoning excessive speed in urban areas, in fact most people who happily admit to speeding will also happily admit to watching ahead for hazards or potential hazards in the road and adjusting their speed accordingly (ie slowing down outside busy schools, but not slowing down past them when its 3 in the morning and all the kids are in bed etc). I would also point out to you how few accidents are caused by excessive speed, but Dr Weasel has already done this for me. You just chose to completely ignore the evidence being presented in your face that says you are talking 100% Pure Unadulterated Shite.

I know here's a really great idea. Let's put so many speed cameras up to stop people speeding that people drive everywhere looking at their speedos instead of the road ahead, that'll really boost road safety. Oh wait they've started this already.

Face it tris you've been spewing crap all thread. Ceasing and desisting may be an idea at this point.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
we all know what the law is. if you break it then just be fucking responsible and accept what you did.

I have no arguments with the law. I can accept that most existing speed limits are set at the 85th percentile, and as such are normally perfectly adequate for the road.

What I can't accept is the way that these limits are now being enforced. Instead of traffic officers patrolling the roads, pulling drivers with unroadworthy vehicles, stopping drunk drivers, cautioning people driving carelessly, etc, you now have a stack of fixed cameras which detect only a single offence, combined with mobile speed traps which the poor accuracy of is talked about in the report which I linked. Most trafpol won't pull you over on the motorway below 90mph. Why? Its a clear violation of the law, but they know full well that it is in no way dangerous to drive at such a speed should the conditions allow for it.

The reduction of trafpol in many areas of this country is actually leading to an increase in accidents and fatalities - not a decrease.

The message 'speed kills' is leading to a generation of drivers who think its perfectly acceptable to drive at whatever speed they like, so long as its below the posted limit. Its reasoning like this that leads to accidents in fog/snow/rain, people driving at the (legal) NSL through junctions complete with bollards and painted markings, etc etc.

In short, people are being conditioned to drive like mindless muppets. The incredibly stupid idea of speed limiters in cars is something else that will make life more dangerous for us all.

You should note that since passing my test in 1989, and doing about 20000 miles per annum, I've had 3 minor low speed accidents - the first was 50:50, the second was my fault (me:cracked indicator and him:bent door), the third was the other persons fault. The last one was over 5 years ago. I have a clean license, so I think I'm pretty well qualified to state that I'm a good driver.

I'm also taking an IAM test in the next month or two, and I will also be taking a ridedrive course as well. Not so I can drive fast, but so I am a safer driver.

Weasel made a very good point about road design - spending money on creating filter lanes and sliproads on dark NSL roads will save far more lives than a speed camera. Using the correct tarmac (many new surfaces fail the skid tests) is another idea.

In short, I think some people here are confusing a certain type of numpty driver who doesn't understand the relationship between his vehicle and the conditions with somebody (like myself) who is a careful, considerate, observant driver, who understands that speed limits have a time and a place, and a minor function.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
tris- said:
um when did anyone say they wanted to drive 100mph in town?

most of these dudes are talking about dodgy limits in places that arent suited to those limits; eg very tight country roads that are NSL or fuckoff motorways that are only 70...

Chilly

Balls of steel
Tom said:
In short, I think some people here are confusing a certain type of numpty driver who doesn't understand the relationship between his vehicle and the conditions with somebody (like myself) who is a careful, considerate, observant driver, who understands that speed limits have a time and a place, and a minor function.

So you're taking these courses so you can speed?

I happen to agree with your pov, Tom, but speeding is speeding, and the amount of whine you generate over speed cameras is excessive. If you don't want to pay a fine don't fucking speed (in view of a camera), if you want to improve road safety then join your local council and stop telling US about it and DO something about it.

tris-

Bodhi said:
Speaking about how people shouldn't be idiots,this is the most retarded thing I have ever read on these forums.

sorry to say, but i dont read any newspaper and all my oppinions were created from my own free will ;) i didnt say people shouldnt be idiots. i said pedestrians will walk out without looking, and increasing 30 zones to 40 is not gonna help if people continue to jump out into traffic. tom, i dunno if your like some people i speak to who say they want 30 zones to be 40 etc. but if you are, why do you need to do that extra 10 miles every hour? i dont understand how you can be in that much of a rush.

anyway, someone is bound to misread my post AGAIN, so :m00:

another thing i always on tight country roads is that because it is nsl people try to drive the maximum speed, yet they are not skilled enough to do it. they end up doing 80 then see the corner isnt opening and skid the fuck out of it and end up doing 50 again. we maybe skilled drivers, but some people are not and increasing the limits in certain places will cause these unskilled people try go even faster and be even more dangerous than they are now.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
i said pedestrians will walk out without looking, and increasing 30 zones to 40 is not gonna help if people continue to jump out into traffic. tom, i dunno if your like some people i speak to who say they want 30 zones to be 40 etc. but if you are, why do you need to do that extra 10 miles every hour? i dont understand how you can be in that much of a rush.

Interesting how you lay the responsibility of road safety at the feet of the motorist - perhaps instead of blaming the speed limit, you should blame the pedestrian for not paying enough attention?

tris- said:
another thing i always on tight country roads is that because it is nsl people try to drive the maximum speed, yet they are not skilled enough to do it. they end up doing 80 then see the corner isnt opening and skid the fuck out of it and end up doing 50 again. we maybe skilled drivers, but some people are not and increasing the limits in certain places will cause these unskilled people try go even faster and be even more dangerous than they are now.

I agree with the meaning behind your words, but you've confirmed what I've written before - that speed limits encourage people to drive at the posted limit, in the false belief that it is always safe to do so. Its precisely this behaviour that speed limits and their enforcement are encouraging.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Chilly said:
So you're taking these courses so you can speed?

I happen to agree with your pov, Tom, but speeding is speeding, and the amount of whine you generate over speed cameras is excessive. If you don't want to pay a fine don't fucking speed (in view of a camera), if you want to improve road safety then join your local council and stop telling US about it and DO something about it.

Its a public forum. If you don't like what I have to say, you don't have to read it. You'll find that I rarely (if ever) complain when another user posts something I have little or no interest in. Perhaps you should try what you're preaching in the pub? See what kind of reaction you get.

Speeding isn't just speeding. You can't make things quite so clear cut, you can't say that 31mph in an urban environment is dangerous, and 29mph is not.

You'd be surprised perhaps to learn that the ride-drive course is taken with a qualified police driver in the passenger seat - and that the aim of the course is to teach the driver how to safely navigate the roads. That includes cutting across the centre divider, driving at a speed suitable for the conditions which includes SPEEDING, watching out for hazards ahead, correct gearchanges, etc.

tris-

Tom said:
Interesting how you lay the responsibility of road safety at the feet of the motorist - perhaps instead of blaming the speed limit, you should blame the pedestrian for not paying enough attention?

knew this would happen, im not blaming the driver. what im saying is if people continue to jump out into moving traffic and the speed limit goes up 10mph, it will make things worse if anything. maybe YOU are able to stop straight away and have realy good reaction times, but not all drivers do.

Calaen

Tom said:
That includes cutting across the centre divider, driving at a speed suitable for the conditions which includes SPEEDING, watching out for hazards ahead, correct gearchanges, etc.

Watching for hazards you say.

Tom said:

Perhaps instead of blaming the speed laws slow the hell down.

I always thought that as a driver you had to pay attention and be prepared for the unexpected when driving around pedestrians? I guess the extra speed your doing does not have any effect when you hit a young child?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
How do you know it will make things worse? Perhaps instead of a line of drivers all meticulously watching their speedometers to make sure they don't go over 30mph and risk a ticket, you'll have the same line of drivers moving at a suitable speed for the conditions, and paying much more attention to their surroundings?

Again, you've missed the point - speed limits aren't there to tell people how fast they can go.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Calaen said:
Perhaps instead of blaming the speed laws slow the hell down.

I always thought that as a driver you had to pay attention and be prepared for the unexpected when driving around pedestrians? I guess the extra speed your doing does not have any effect when you hit a young child?

Congratulations, you've managed to completely and utterly miss the entire point. Why don't you try reading what I (and others) posted?

I tell you what, you drive at the speed limit. You pay attention to the roadsigns telling you what speed is safe. Only when you end up in a field because you were doing 40mph around a bend on a 40mph road, a bend that has a diesel spill down the centre and heavy dust on the kerbs, just remember - speed kills!

:rolleyes:

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Trem said:
Because we choose to state our unhappiness at this we get lots of do gooders spouting horse shit about the law, we know its the law it does not mean its fucking right.

Nor does it give you the right to break it.

I agree with the general opinion that cameras and speed traps are made as a form of cash generating but to an extent.

At the end of the day they are there and you will be bollocked for speeding, despite any moral objection. So why not just play safe like the rest of the kids?

Edit: coincidentally i heard about a new scheme that may be implemented somewhere ( i can't remember) where basically all road signs and markings etc are removed, leaving the space completely open and free. They found traffic and pedestrian accident rates decreased and generally everybody wasn't so hostile. Basically because people weren't being ruled and guided by signs and restrictions they used their brain - decreasing accidents.

tris-

ok, old people. they are shit, you know they are shit, i know they are shit, they know they are shit. they try to drive 30mph then they slow down 3 days too early before they get to a red light. now tell me if it was 40mph, again they would try drive 40 and it would be dangerous. its already dangerous they go too slow in a 30 zone but going too slow when the speed limit is 10mph extra is even worse.

why do you need to watch the speedo, as an experienced driver surely you can tell the speed from the sound of the engine? i can, and i havent taken any fancy courses.

just because i can then everyone should be able to.

WRONG.

this is how your posts sound tom, just because you can drive safe and fast, not everyone can, and everyone wants to drive the max limit even though they are not safe at doing it. increasing the speed will make these crap drivers be even more unsafe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom